IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Mother's day

Rate this topic

Today in America we celebrate Mother's day. Everyone is expected to do some service to their mother in rememberance to all she has done for us.

Bhumi is mother and I have included verses from SB, Bhumi Gita. We should all listen to our mother. Cow is also mother. This would be a good day to stop buying commercial milk. Enslaving and later killing mother cow while capturing her children and slaughtering them for veal is very disrespectful to her.

12.3.1: Sukadeva Gosvami said: Seeing the kings of this earth busy trying to conquer her, the earth herself laughed. She said: "Just see how these kings, who are actually playthings in the hands of death, are desiring to conquer me.

SB 12.3.2: "Great rulers of men, even those who are learned, meet frustration and failure because of material lust. Driven by lust, these kings place great hope and faith in the dead lump of flesh called the body, even though the material frame is as fleeting as bubbles of foam on water.

SB 12.3.3-4: "Kings and politicians imagine: 'First I will conquer my senses and mind; then I will subdue my chief ministers and rid myself of the thorn-pricks of my advisors, citizens, friends and relatives, as well as the keepers of my elephants. In this way I will gradually conquer the entire earth.' Because the hearts of these leaders are bound by great expectations, they fail to see death waiting nearby.

SB 12.3.5: "After conquering all the land on my surface, these proud kings forcibly enter the ocean to conquer the sea itself. What is the use of their self-control, which is aimed at political exploitation? The actual goal of self-control is spiritual liberation."

SB 12.3.6: O best of the Kurus, the earth continued as follows: "Although in the past great men and their descendants have left me, departing from this world in the same helpless way they came into it, even today foolish men are trying to conquer me.

SB 12.3.7: "For the sake of conquering me, materialistic persons fight one another. Fathers oppose their sons, and brothers fight one another, because their hearts are bound to possessing political power.

SB 12.3.8: "Political leaders challenge one another: 'All this land is mine! It's not yours, you fool!' Thus they attack one another and die.

SB 12.3.9-13: "Such kings as Pṛthu, Pururava, Gadhi, Nahusa, Bharata, Krtavarya Arjuna, Mundhati, Sagara, Rama, Khatvanga, Dhundhuhi, Raghu, Trinabindu, Yayati, _ary_ti, Santanu, Gaya, Bhagaratha, Kuvalay_va, Kakutstha, Naisadha, Nriga, Hiranyakasipu, Vrtra, Ravana, who made the whole world lament, Namuci, _ambara, Bhauma, Hiranyakska and Taraka, as well as many other demons and kings who possessed great powers of control over others, were all full of knowledge, heroic, all-conquering and unconquerable. Nevertheless, O almighty Lord, although they lived their lives intensely trying to possess me, these kings were subject to the passage of time, which reduced them all to mere historical accounts. None of them could permanently establish their rule."

SB 12.3.14: Sukadeva Gosvami said: O mighty Pariksit, I have related to you the narrations of all these great kings, who spread their fame throughout the world and then departed. My real purpose was to teach transcendental knowledge and renunciation. Stories of kings lend power and opulence to these narrations but do not in themselves constitute the ultimate aspect of knowledge.

Hare Krsna