IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
harekrishnadas

is sour cream veggie ?

Rate this topic

Hare Krsna !!!

I know some of you devotees avoid milk from the commercial milk factories(industrial cows !!). But I am not that elevated. I still comsume milk products - the question I have today is - What is the source of enzymes in sour cream ? I know some enzymes are animal based like the rennet used in cheeses while others are not like in Yogurt, which also contains bacteria which are not animal derived.

But what about sour cream ? The reason I am asking is some of the sour cream products were marked 'Kosher'. The ingredients had only one listing 'Cultured Sour Cream'.

So my question is what enzymes are used to culture Sour Cream - is Sour Cream considered ok for lacto-vegetarian diet and fit fot consumption by devotees.

Hare Krsna !!

"I know some enzymes are animal based like the rennet used in cheeses while others are not like in Yogurt, which also contains bacteria which are not animal derived."

Hare Krishna. Is yogurt with live cultured bacteria vegetarian friendly? Specifically if it contains Lactobacillus, Bulgaricus, Streptococcus Thermophilus, Acidophilus and Bifidum. Sorry but i'm not a fan of sour cream so i can't help you there!

I did some research and came across a website on cultured dairy products. Here's an extract:

"Sour cream (21CFR131.160) consists of pasteurized cream fermented with flavor-producing bacteria. Sour cream must contain 18% milkfat. Other sour-dairy products might use half-and-half with 10.5% milkfat, or even no fat. Stabilizers such as gelatin and starch are required to adjust viscosity. The fermentation process is the same as for buttermilk, but nonfat milk solids are higher."

You might want to check it yourself:

http://www.foodproductdesign.com/archive/2000/0300de.html

Hope this helps. =)

Hare Krsna !!

I think most sour cream and yogurt are fine.

Watch out for the low-fat or fat-free ones. Beware of the 'Great Value' or 'GV' brand they almost always contain gelatin.

Danon's plain yogurt are fine but their yogplaits are not neither are many of the fruit on the bottom yogurts most of them contain gelatin.

I use sour cream from the Daisy brand - I checked out their website too - they seem to be fine.

http://www.daisybrand.com/Products/DaisyRegular.html

Sandra - thanks for your research and providing that link.

Haribol !!!

I know a non-fat live cultured yogurt that seems to not contain any gelatin or the likes... Organic Meadow No Fat Plain Yogurt. All they mention on the Ingredients List is

Milk ingredients and active bacteria cultures such as xyz.... So, i guess it's okay! I mostly consume organic dairy products such as Presiden't choice organics...

To be 100 % sure, you can always fill the feedback form on the site of daisybrand...

Never mind i asked them! =)

"We truly appreciate the comments that come to us by our consumers. Thank you for taking the time to help us make our product the best. Your feedback has been forwarded to Customer Relations, and you will be contacted within the next 24 hours."