IndiaDivine.org

I probably would not have ever left Iskcon,if...

Rate this topic

krsna

...Good news for Cows

by Kanva das

Posted April 20, 2004

Please visit http://vnn.org/publication/PB0404/PB14-8594.html

It is just too bad that we couldn't have farm projects like this one. I probably would not have ever left Iskcon, if the farm mangers and leaders of Iskcon could take of me and others as this devotee takes care of his cows...

I would not trade a half decent Sunday feast for a bale of hay at any time... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

But yes, it is always the failure of the management when institutions fail. If you cant take care of cows, you wont be able to take care of devotees, and vice versa. Passing well intentioned resolutions will not fix that, but perhaps it is a good place to start... ISKCON certainly needs experienced managers and inspiring leaders - both must be there for it to work.

In case anyone still cannot figure out what is the defect of this program I would bring this to your attention:

Our first cow was Shyamarani and now nine years later the herd has grown to twenty-two adult milking cows and twelve calves.

There are no bulls in the herd! That means the bulls have been sold, and will eventually end up in slaughterhouses (even in India).

This is not cow protection, but dairy farming for profit. The cows which can produce milk are "protected", where as the bulls which only eat are sold off. At first it is likely the bulls will be used by the buyers for labor, but eventually they will all be sold to slaughterhouses. This is the unfortunate situation in India.

A true cow protection program cannot be profitable in the modern times, as 50% of the calves will be male and will only eat - providing no material gain for the farmer. One would need hundreds of acres of farm land to engage all the bulls, and still it would be cheaper and quicker to use a tractor.

Thus the general and unfortunate solution people resort to is to sell the bulls and thereby get even more profit. This is not cow protection.

In the past bulls were used for plowing fields. Today those who have large tracts of land use tractors. Bulls are still used by small farmers who have only a couple acres of land.

But when running a cow sanctuary, you will find that within several years you may end up with hundreds of cows and bulls. It would be almost impossible to have enough cultivation land to engage all of the bulls, and even if you did, they would still be a financial burden to you.

The only solution is if the milk from the cows was used to pay for the food of the bulls, resulting in no profit for the cow sanctuary.