IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Why does Krishna play the flute and not the sax?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It is very doubtful that if Krsna would be playing a sax, the Gopis would answer His call. They would become quite repulsed by the sound. Ha ha!

Guest guest

a sax is technically very similar to a shenai.... shenai gives a very satvic sound and sax is very nice when is used along harekrishna kirtan

Guest guest

The sound of a sax is similar to the sound of shahanai or nadheswaram, which is the sound heard at marriages and goes directly to the heart. If the gopis heard Krishna playing this instrument, this would not for them be a signal to come and join Krishna, but would sound to them like a reminder of their separation from Him and plunge them into even more heart-rending ecstatic agony. This is the sound of Krishna's absence, of the marriage that will never be. bgg0803.jpg

bgg0796.jpg

Guest guest

bhaiyya

please do not think anyone means to say that krishna plays anything other than his flute, or that we are "concocting" krishna leelas, but devotees tend generally to be poetic creatures. I can easily imagine gopis reacting to hypothetical situations, but it's only imagination. Shanti, bhaiyya, shanti!

The good fortune of Krsna's flute is discussed by Lord Caitanya in the Sri Caitanya-caritamrita Antya-Lila 16.139-145:<BLOCKQUOTE><CENTER><FONT COLOR=RED>‘kaha rAma-rAya, kichu zunite haya mana'

bhAva jAni' paDe rAya gopIra vacana

</CENTER>

kaha--speak; rAma-rAya--RAmAnanda RAya; kichu--something; zunite--to hear; haya mana--I wish; bhAva--the situation; jAni'--understanding; paDe rAya--RAmAnanda RAya recites; gopIra vacana--the words of the gopIs.

</font>

Again SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu said to RAmAnanda RAya, "Please say something. I want to hear." Understanding the situation, RAmAnanda RAya recited the following words of the gopIs.

<CENTER><FONT COLOR=RED>

gopyaH kim Acarad ayaM kuzalaM sma veNur

dAmodarAdhara-sudhAm api gopikAnAm

bhuGkte svayaM yad avaziSTa-rasaM hradinyo

hRSyat-tvaco 'zru mumucus taravo yathAryAH

</CENTER>

gopyaH--O gopIs; kim--what; Acarat--performed; ayam--this; kuzalam--auspicious activities; sma--certainly; veNuH--flute; dAmodara--of KRSNa; adhara-sudhAm--the nectar of the lips; api--even; gopikAnAm--which is owed to the gopIs; bhuGkte--enjoys; svayam--independently; yat--from which; avaziSTa--remaining; rasam--the taste only; hradinyaH--the rivers; hRSyat--feeling jubilant; tvacaH--whose bodies; azru--tears; mumucuH--shed; taravaH--the trees; yathA--exactly like; AryAH--old forefathers.

</font>

"‘My dear gopIs, what auspicious activities must the flute have performed to enjoy the nectar of KRSNa's lips independently and leave only a taste for us gopIs, for whom that nectar is actually meant. The forefathers of the flute, the bamboo trees, shed tears of pleasure. His mother, the river on whose bank the bamboo was born, feels jubilation, and therefore her blooming lotus flowers are standing like hair on her body.'"

PURPORT

This verse, quoted from SrImad-BhAgavatam (10.21.9), is part of a discussion the gopIs had among themselves. As the autumn season began in VRndAvana, Lord KRSNa was tending the cows and blowing on His flute. The gopIs then began to praise KRSNa and discuss the fortunate position of His flute.

<CENTER><FONT COLOR=RED>

ei zloka zuni' prabhu bhAvAviSTa haJA

utkaNThAte artha kare pralApa kariyA

</CENTER>

ei zloka--this verse; zuni'--hearing; prabhu--SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu; bhAva-AviSTa--absorbed in ecstatic love; haJA--becoming; utkaNThAte--in agitation of the mind; artha kare--makes the meaning; pralApa kariyA--talking like a madman.

</font>

Upon hearing the recitation of this verse, SrI Caitanya MahAprabhu became absorbed in ecstatic love, and with a greatly agitated mind He began to explain its meaning like a madman.

<CENTER><FONT COLOR=RED>

eho vrajendra-nandana, vrajera kona kanyA-gaNa,

avazya kariba pariNaya

se-sambandhe gopI-gaNa, yAre mAne nija-dhana,

se sudhA anyera labhya naya

</CENTER>

eho--this; vrajendra-nandana--the son of Nanda MahArAja; vrajera--of VRndAvana; kona--any; kanyA-gaNa--gopIs; avazya--certainly; kariba pariNaya--will marry; se-sambandhe--in that connection; gopI-gaNa--the gopIs; yAre--which; mAne--consider; nija-dhana--the personal property; se sudhA--that nectar; anyera--by others; labhya naya--is not obtainable.

</font>

"Some gopIs said to other gopIs, ‘Just see the astonishing pastimes of KRSNa, the son of Vrajendra! He will certainly marry all the gopIs of VRndAvana. Therefore, the gopIs know for certain that the nectar of KRSNa's lips is their own property and cannot be enjoyed by anyone else.

<CENTER><FONT COLOR=RED>

gopI-gaNa, kaha saba kariyA vicAre

kon tIrtha, kon tapa, kon siddha-mantra-japa,

ei veNu kaila janmAntare?

</CENTER>

gopI-gaNa--O gopIs; kaha--say; saba--all; kariyA vicAre--after full consideration; kon--what; tIrtha--holy places; kon--what; tapa--austerities; kon--what; siddha-mantra-japa--chanting of a perfect mantra; ei--this; veNu--flute; kaila--did; janma-antare--in his past life.

</font>

<FONT COLOR=blue>"‘My dear gopIs, fully consider how many pious activities this flute performed in his past life. We do not know what places of pilgrimage he visited, what austerities he performed, or what perfect mantra he chanted.</font>

<CENTER><FONT COLOR=RED>

hena kRSNAdhara-sudhA, ye kaila amRta mudhA,

yAra AzAya gopI dhare prANa

ei veNu ayogya ati, sthAvara ‘puruSa-jAti',

sei sudhA sadA kare pAna

</CENTER>

hena--such; kRSNa-adhara--of KRSNa's lips; sudhA--nectar; ye--which; kaila--made; amRta--nectar; mudhA--surpassed; yAra AzAya--by hoping for which; gopI--the gopIs; dhare prANa--continue to live; ei veNu--this flute; ayogya--unfit; ati--completely; sthAvara--dead; puruSa-jAti--belonging to the male class; sei sudhA--that nectar; sadA--always; kare pAna--drinks.

</font>

"‘This flute is utterly unfit because it is merely a dead bamboo stick. Moreover, it belongs to the male sex. Yet this flute is always drinking the nectar of KRSNa's lips, which surpasses nectarean sweetness of every description. Only by hoping for that nectar do the gopIs continue to live.

<CENTER><FONT COLOR=RED>

yAra dhana, nA kahe tAre, pAna kare balAtkAre,

pite tAre DAkiyA jAnAya

tAra tapasyAra phala, dekha ihAra bhAgya-bala,

ihAra ucchiSTa mahA-jane khAya

</CENTER>

yAra--of whom; dhana--the property; nA kahe--does not speak; tAre--to them; pAna kare--drinks; balAtkAre--by force; pite--while drinking; tAre--unto them; DAkiyA--calling loudly; jAnAya--informs; tAra--its; tapasyAra--of austerities; phala--result; dekha--see; ihAra--its; bhAgya-bala--strength of fortune; ihAra--its; ucchiSTa--remnants; mahA-jane--great personalities; khAya--drink.

</font>

"‘Although the nectar of KRSNa's lips is the absolute property of the gopIs, the flute, which is just an insignificant stick, is forcibly drinking that nectar and loudly inviting the gopIs to come drink it also. Just imagine the strength of the flute's austerities and good fortune! Even great devotees drink the nectar of KRSNa's lips after the flute has done so.</blockquote>

Guest guest

from the website "Dal Sabzi for the Aatman" http://dalsabzi.com

Let me tell you a story that I have heard.

There were 2 blocks of wood.

One block became an idol of Krishna and was worshipped by all who loved Him.

The other block of wood, remained a block of wood, and was discarded in a corner.

The discarded block of wood was upset that, it was not getting the wonderful treatment, that the idol was. The idol explained: "I am worshipped today, because I suffered pain while the artist cut me and chiseled me, while you refused to go through the pain and spent your time on things, that you thought would bring you pleasure".

Do you understand what I am trying to tell you?

You have to go through the pain of studies, to reap the fruits of becoming a success later in life! All great learning are the result of hardships.

So it was with the flute that Krishna, so lovingly held close to His lips. The hollow bamboo reed also suffered. It underwent the agony of being pierced. Seven holes were the result. And those holes produced Divine Music when they came in contact with the Divine Breath of the Lord of Lords!

The Flute says: "My stomach is empty. I cannot sing alone. But the cowherds and the cows and

the fields sway with pleasure, when my Lord sings through me! And after the Lord plays His tune through me, I again become empty."

Krishna's devotees (Gopis) called the Flute 'Krishna ki Patrani' (Krishna's Queen)

Guest guest

"I can easily imagine gopis reacting to hypothetical situations, but it's only imagination."

yes... speculation... useless and dangerous

Guest guest

there was many instruments working on the same principle of the sax, so, in a sense, the sax was there