IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Life on Death Row

Rate this topic

That moment will surely come for us all. We are on death row right now but we have the added illusion of a sense of freedom. So we think to take care of business later sometime.

But like that soul in the chair above if we don't practice remembering Krsna from now up to that moment we will surely be too bewildered to remain fixed in Krsna consciousness.

Of course Krsna's mercy can cut through anything. But should we expect some miracle as an excuse to continue cultivating material life? That is something like walking in traffic epecting krsna to keep all the cars from hitting us.

This is one we can't gamble with.

"We're Taking Death As Life"

Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.6.7

Vrndavana, December 9, 1975

Translation: "In tender childhood age, when everyone is bewildered, he passes ten years. Similarly, in boyhood, being engaged in sporting and playful things, another ten years. In this way twenty years are wasted. Similarly, in old age, when a person becomes invalid and he is unable to execute even material activities, he passes another twenty years wastefully."

Prabhupada:

mugdhasya balye kaisore

kridato yati vimsatih

jaraya grasta-dehasya

yaty akalpasya vimsatih

[sB 7.6.7]

Don't be illusioned. Even balye, in childhood, they should not be because there is no question of balya or vrddha. Any, at any moment the life can be finished. You know. There is no guarantee, "Because a child is a child, oh, he has got hundred years' age, so let him play now." No, that is not. He should be trained up. This is the duty of the father and mother. Na mocayed yah samupeta-mrtyum. "One should not become father, one should not become mother, if he is not very careful to save the child from the imminent death." The imminent death does not mean motor accident. Imminent death means we are in the cycle of birth and death. It is the duty of the father and mother, the duty of the guru, the duty of the relative, to save one another from the cycle of birth and death. This is real upakara, to save from the cycle of birth... Na mocayed yah samupeta-mrtyum. This life, we are thinking that "I am eighty years old or ninety years old." But it is not eighty years, ninety... It is mrtyu. Mrtyu. You are dying every moment. It is the life of mrtyu. Therefore one has to save. Na mocayed yah samupeta-mrtyum. A child is grown up, five years old. Suppose he'll live hundred years. So that means he has already died five years. Therefore it is mrtyu. Or we have grown eighty years old. That means... Suppose I live hundred years. Still, I have already died eighty years. Therefore it is mrtyu. The whole life is mrtyu. Every moment you are dying, dying, dying, dying, from the very birth. Suppose a child is born one hour before. So one hour passed means he has died one hour out of hundred years, the beginning of death. This is called mrtyum. So we are thinking, "We are growing. We are living." This is all mugdha, bewildered. Where you are growing, you are living? You are dying every moment.

So dying, death is going on. It is called mrtyu-loka. So long you are in the material world, you are simply dying. That's all. At the end, when the balance of life, it becomes finished, we take, at that time, it is mrtyu. But no, from the very birth there is mrtyu, always, dying, dying, dying, dying. So mugdha. We are thinking, "We are living and growing, young. We are getting strength." But he does not know that he is dying. Therefore it is explained, mugdhasya: "illusioned." He is taking death as life, mugdhasya. So one should not be so bewildered, mugdhasya, and waste time by playing.

Krsna argues there is no reason to lament death from either a material or spiritual perspective. …So just don't do anything to invite death unless you're sure it's spiritual. The law won't chase you for being decent. Will they?

You have a preooccupation with death? Could it be the same 3rd World threat trying to devour the world?

(Maybe death is better than the future they have for you.) (If you're messing with Krsna's devotees, you're in no position to warn of impending disaster.)

I think anyone who's verified that Krsna is there, certainly does not try to cheat death. Rather, death becomes their friend… however it may appear to anyone else.

I think if people remember death in an advantageous, serious, sober way, it will make them humble. If they are callous with it and make a jesting ploy? Who Knows Who?

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

We-de-de-de, de-de-de-de-de de, we-um-um-a-way (drum fill)

We-de-de-de, de-de-de-de-de de, we-um-um-a-way

A wimoweh, a-wimoweh a-wimoweh, a wimoweh

In the jungle the mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight

In the jungle the quiet jungle the lion sleeps tonight

(repeat Wimoweh chorus--with vocal ad lib similar to the intro in theforeground)

Near the village the peaceful village the lion sleeps tonight

Near the village the quiet village the lion sleeps tonight

(repeat wimoweh chorus)

Hush my darling, don't fear my darling. The lion sleeps tonight.

Hush my darling, don't fear my darling.The lion sleeps tonight

(repeat wimoweh chorus with vocal ad lib) – The Tokens

Everybody Plays the Fool

Ok, so your heart is broken

You're sitting around mopin', cryin', cryin'

You say you even think about dying

Well, before you do anything rash, baby, dig this

Everybody plays the fool, sometime

There's no exception to the rule, listen baby

It may be factual, it may be cruel, I ain't lying

Everybody plays the fool

Fallin' in love is such an easy thing to do

But there's no guarantee that the one you love, is gonna love you

Oh, loving eyes they cannot see a certain person could never be

Love runs deeper than any ocean, it clouds your mind with emotion

Everybody plays the fool

How can you help it, when the music starts to play

And your ability to reason, is swept away

Oh, heaven on earth is all you see, you're out of touch with reality

And now you cry, but when you do, next time around someone cries for you

Hey, everybody plays the fool, sometime

Use your heart just like a tool, listen baby

They never tell you so in school, I wanna say it again,

Everybody plays the fool

Everybody plays the fool

Every plays the fool, sometime

It may be factual, it may be cruel, I wanna say it again

Everybody plays the fool – Aaron Neville

It is said that the fear of death is essential for the spiritual growth of a human being. If this fear constantly haunts you, that means there is some awakening in you, that your body is not eternal. That is the first step in realising the ephemeral quality of material world and everything in it.

A POLITICIAN'S LAMENT

"My dear Lord, I am not an exception to this universal law of material nature. I am also one of those foolish persons who has wasted his time for nothing. And my position is especially difficult. On account of my being situated in the royal order, I was more puffed up than ordinary persons. An ordinary man thinks of becoming the proprietor of his body or of his family, but I began to think in that way on a larger scale. I wanted to be the master of the whole world, and as I became puffed up with ideas of sense gratification, my bodily concept of life became stronger and stronger. My attachment for home, wife and children, for money and for supremacy over the world, became more and more acute; in fact, it was limitless. So I remained always attached to thoughts of my material living conditions.

"Therefore, my dear Lord, I wasted so much of my valuable lifetime without any benefit. My misconception of life having been intensified, I began to think of this material body, which is just a bag of flesh and bones, as the all in all, and in my vanity I was like a dog who believes that he has become the king of human society. In this misconception of bodily life, I began to travel all over the world, accompanied by my military strength--soldiers, charioteers, elephants and horses. Assisted by many commanders and puffed up by power, I could not trace out Your Lordship, who is always sitting within my heart as the most intimate friend. I did not care for You, and this was the fault of my so-called exalted material condition. I think that, like me, all living creatures are careless about spiritual realization and are always full of anxieties, thinking, 'What is to be done?' 'What is next?' But because we are strongly bound by material desires, we continue to remain in craziness.

"Yet in spite of our being so absorbed in material thought, inevitable time, which is only a form of Yourself, is always careful about its duty, and as soon as the allotted time is over, Your Lordship immediately ends all the activities of our material dreams. As the time factor, You end all our activities, as the hungry black snake swiftly swallows up a small rat without any leniency. Due to the action of cruel time, the royal body which was always decorated with gold ornaments during life and which moved on a chariot drawn by beautiful horses or on the back of an elephant nicely decorated with golden ornaments, and which was advertised as the king of human society--that same royal body decomposes under the influence of inevitable time and becomes fit for being eaten by worms and insects or being turned into ashes or the stool of an animal. This beautiful body may be nice while in the living condition, but after death even the body of a king is eaten by an animal and therefore turns into stool or is cremated in the crematorium and turned into ashes or is put into an earthly grave where different kinds of worms and insects are produced out of it. (Krsna Book 1.50)

You are the supreme shelter for everyone. Everyone, either in the material plane or in the spiritual plane, must take shelter under Your lotus feet. I therefore submit unto You, my Lord. For many, many births I have been suffering from the threefold miseries of this material existence, and I am now tired of it. I have simply been impelled by my senses, and I was never satisfied. I therefore take shelter of Your lotus feet, which are the source of all peaceful conditions of life and which can eradicate all kinds of lamentation caused by material contamination. (King Mucukunda KB 1.50)

Indeed. We are all on Death Row. We were all bitten by the poisonous viper.

It is time to get our act together - time to claim our birthright in the Kingdom of God. Sac-cid-ananda and nothing less.