IndiaDivine.org

what exactly is Mercy

Rate this topic

Govindaram

Guest guest

Mercy is one of the pillars of spiritual life, virtually destroyed in the living entity by the desire to intoxicate oneself. We are recommended to forego intoxicants specifically to allow this pillar to take hold.

Mercy is also the gift of Lord Jeswus Christ to his disciples (as is all bonafide gurus to their disciples). His mantra given to his disciples specifically ties the disciples mercy to the Supreme Father. He asks the Father to forgive us to the extent we foirgive others, so the love we give is equal to the love we take.

Mo latah, good topic, and can fill thousands of pages. Bet gHari could write a few, and even add real citations, and I never tire of hearing from him. Haribol, ys, mahaksadasa

But I give it to you anyway. That is mercy.

Everything is Krsna's mercy. Whether it be 'bad' karmic reactions or a benediction from reading Sri Caitanya-Caritamrita or Sri Caitanya Bhagavata, it is all mercy designed perfectly by Krsna and His agents to cure our material disease.

Prabhupada describes the ultimate mercy some will receive from Sri Krsna (kRpA means mercy and siddhi means perfection):<blockquote>PuSTa KRSNa: So even a person merged in the mode of ignorance can by some good fortune surrender to KRSNa.

PrabhupAda: No good fortune. God, KRSNa, says, "You do it"; you do it. Here immediately you become fortunate. There is no question of waiting for becoming fortunate. You become fortunate immediately. Suppose if I say, "Take this bag, 100,000 dollars." You can take it. Immediately you become rich man. Why don't you take it?

Guru dAsa: How does kRpA-siddhi work, SrIla PrabhupAda?

PrabhupAda: Hm?

Guru dAsa: KRpA-siddhi. How does that work?

PrabhupAda: KRpA-siddhi means that you are not willing take this bag. I say, "Take it, take it, take it." (laughter) "No." That is kRpA-siddhi. Even you are unwilling, I give you in your pocket, push it. That is kRpA-siddhi. (laughter)</blockquote>

In NArada-bhakti-sUtra kRpA-siddhi is explained this way:<blockquote>Knowledge and devotion are harmonious, but to say that they are interdependent is too strong. Love of KRSNa often arises without a long development of jJAna.

NArada Muni once blessed a sadistic hunter with pure devotion to KRSNa. This type of spontaneous development of bhakti is known as kRpA-siddhi, perfection via the good graces of the Lord and the VaiSNavas.</blockquote>

AYI DINA, AYI DINA!<blockquote><center>ayi dIna-dayArdra nAtha he

mathurA-nAtha kadAvalokyase

hRdayaM tvad-aloka-kAtaraM

dayita bhrAmyati kiM karomy aham

</center>

ayi--O My Lord; dIna--on the poor; dayA-Ardra--compassionate; nAtha--O master; he--O; mathurA-nAtha--the master of MathurA; kadA--when; avalokyase--I shall see You; hRdayam--My heart; tvat--of You; aloka--without seeing; kAtaram--very much aggrieved; dayita--O most beloved; bhrAmyati--becomes overwhelmed; kim--what; karomi--shall do; aham--I.

"O My Lord! O most merciful master! O master of MathurA! When shall I see You again? Because of My not seeing You, My agitated heart has become unsteady. O most beloved one, what shall I do now?"</blockquote>

More kRpA-siddhi: ... SB 5.1.10p ..... NOD (search for 'mercy') 16 17 18 19 25 37

gHari

SB 11.20.18:<blockquote><CENTER>nR-deham AdyaM su-labhaM su-durlabhaM

plavaM su-kalpaM guru-karNadhAram

mayAnukUlena nabhasvateritaM

pumAn bhavAbdhiM na taret sa Atma-hA

</CENTER>

nr--human; deham--body; Adyam--the source of all favorable results; su-labham--effortlessly obtained; su-durlabham--although impossible to obtain even with great endeavor; plavam--a boat; su-kalpam--extremely well suited for its purpose; guru--having the spiritual master; karNa-dhAram--as the captain of the boat; mayA--by Me; anukUlena--with favorable; nabhasvatA--winds; Iritam--impelled; pumAn--a person; bhava--of material existence; abdhim--the ocean; na--does not; taret--cross over; saH--he; Atma-hA--the killer of his own soul.

The human body, which can award all benefit in life, is automatically obtained by the laws of nature, although it is a very rare achievement. This human body can be compared to a perfectly constructed boat having the spiritual master as the captain and the instructions of the Personality of Godhead as favorable winds impelling it on its course. Considering all these advantages, a human being who does not utilize his human life to cross the ocean of material existence must be considered the killer of his own soul.

PURPORT

The human body, which is obtained after passing through many inferior forms, is created in such a way that it can award the highest perfection of life. A human being is supposed to serve the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and the bona fide spiritual master is the appropriate guide for such service.

The causeless mercy of Lord KRSNa is compared to favorable winds that help the boat of the body to ply smoothly on the course back home, back to Godhead. Lord KRSNa gives His personal instructions in Vedic literature, speaks through the bona fide spiritual master, and encourages, warns and protects His sincere devotee from within the devotee's heart. Such merciful guidance of the Lord moves a sincere soul quickly on the path back to Godhead. But one who cannot understand that the human body is a suitable boat for crossing the ocean of material existence will see no need to accept a captain in the form of the spiritual master and will not at all appreciate the favorable winds of the Lord's mercy. He has no chance of achieving the goal of human life. Acting against his own self-interest, he gradually becomes the killer of his own soul.</blockquote>