IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Buy dairy and slaughter a calf

Rate this topic

Sorry, but its true. This article came from http://www.peta.org/

Veal: A Cruel Meal

--

The veal calf industry is one of the most reprehensible of all the kinds of intensive animal agriculture.

A Fate Worse Than Death

Male calves used for veal are taken from their mothers one or two days after birth. They are chained inside tiny crates barely larger than their bodies and are usually kept in darkness, except to be fed two or three times a day for 20 minutes.

During their brief lives, they never see the sun or touch the earth. They never see or taste the grass. Their anemic bodies crave proper sustenance. Their muscles ache for freedom and exercise. They long for maternal care. About 14 weeks after their birth, they are slaughtered.

Solitary Confinement

The veal calf’s permanent home is a veal crate, a wooden restraining device that is so small (22 inches by 54 inches) that the calves cannot turn around. Designed to prevent movement (exercise), the crate does its job of atrophying the calves’ muscles, thus producing tender “gourmet” veal. The calves often suffer from open sores caused by the constant rubbing against the crates.

In 1996, the European Union voted to ban the veal crate across Europe; it will be phased out over 10 years. By 2007, this cruel contraption will be gone from Europe for good. Yet it is still perfectly legal in the United States.

“Feeding” Time

The calves are generally fed a milk substitute intentionally lacking in iron and other essential nutrients. This diet keeps the animals anemic and creates the pale pink or white color considered desirable in veal. Craving iron, the calves lick urine-saturated slats and any metallic parts of their stalls. Farmers also withhold water from the animals, who, always thirsty, are driven to drink a large quantity of the high-fat liquid feed.

Because of such extremely unhealthy living conditions and restricted diets, calves are susceptible to a long list of diseases, including chronic pneumonia and “scours,” or constant diarrhea. Consequently, they must be given massive doses of antibiotics and other drugs just to keep them alive. The antibiotics are passed on to consumers in the meat—and that’s not all that’s passed along.

Federal agents have found more than a dozen veal production companies giving calves clenbuterol, a dangerous and illegal drug that speeds growth and increases anemia in the calves, producing more expensive white meat.(1) Calves treated with clenbuterol can be sold for slaughter at 12 to 13 weeks, rather than the standard 16 weeks. Even trace amounts of clenbuterol can cause severe illness in humans, including increased heart rate, tremors, breathing difficulties, fever—even death.

The Dairy Connection

Veal calves are a byproduct of the dairy industry; they are produced by dairy cows, who are kept constantly pregnant to keep milk production high. Their female calves are raised to be living milk machines like their mothers—confined, fed synthetic hormones and antibiotics, artificially inseminated, and slaughtered after their milk production drops—or they are slaughtered for the rennet in their stomachs (used to make commercial cheese). Since male calves cannot produce milk, they are often taken away from their mothers at 1 or 2 days old and put into crates to be killed for veal. The milk that nature meant for them ends up on our supermarket shelves instead.

What You Can Do

• Reflecting on the fate of a calf raised for veal, author John Robbins writes: “[T]oday, because of the way animals are raised for market, the question of whether or not to eat meat has a whole new meaning, and a whole new urgency. Never before have animals been treated like this. Never before has such deep, unrelenting and systematic cruelty been mass produced. Never before has the decision of each individual been so important.”(2) Don’t buy or eat veal, and tell friends, relatives, and neighbors why.

• Tell restaurant managers about veal cruelties, and ask them to remove veal from their menus.

Don’t buy or eat dairy products because of the dairy industry’s role in veal production.

• Ask your state legislators to sponsor bills that would prohibit the use of veal crates.

References

(1) Daniel P. Puzo, “Probe Links Toxic Drug to Some Veal Producers,” Los Angeles Times, 14 Oct. 1994, p. A4.

(2) John Robbins, Diet for a New America (Walpole, N.H.: Stillpoint Publishing, 1987), p. 121.

Guest guest

yeah i'm thinking about it a lot lately and i'm becoming disgusted about milk from the industry.

are you a vegan, theist ? i used to be vegan for 2 years before becoming a devotee, as a straightedge.

these days i'm trying to avoid dairy as much as possible...

Sunanda

Yes,

and when I go to the temple I HONOR mahaprasadam milk preparations

as they are made from krishna's temple cows

protected,worshipped and served

as go-matas.

Is this the best deal of a bad bargain

in order to avoid the worst karma of the kali yuga dairy industry?

To buy milk from cows destined to sufferring,torture and death is too high a karmic price to pay.

There will surely be a negative reaction.

But most don't think about where this milk is coming from.

It's tooooo easy to just zip on to the corner store and

presto -a jug of 'pure' milk.

Guest, yes I adhere to a vegan lifestyle. Karma or no karma why participate in that level of suffering? A few years ago I slipped back and bought some leather shoes but I'm past that one now. I am also mostly silent on this issue when I go to the temple. If someone offers me some maha that I know has dairy in it I accept a portion with gratitude. I don't want to be in a "vegan faction" that makes waves. On the periphary (sp?) though it should be dealt with.

I have seen so-called gurus get in verbal battles with vegans. Better I think to acknowledge their arguments when they are right and suggest remembering or offering to the Supreme source their vegan foodstuffs.

krsna, it sounds like you are avoiding commercial dairy and only accepting Krsna prasad from protected cows. Perfection.

Thanks for the link to those Prabhupada quotes.

Hare Krsna

From another forum:

------------------------------

A crime so against natural order and the decency of life, so shameless a violation of individual boundaries and affront to personal and family privacy it would shock Dracula. To kill her baby and then keep pumping away at her breast, not even giving her a chance to grieve. Totally unacceptable. The most grievous form of parasitism found in the entire animal kingdom.

Let's go over some of the reforms we have been working on:

Brahmins to become full vegetarians. Milk produced for deities by protected cows with protected calves only. Milk prasad given to guests and children first. Milk produced in this honest and humane way to be given a prominent role in Temple ceremonies and used as a preaching tool. No more stealing, killing and machine driven suction gang rape of a grieving mothers udders to get milk.

Temporarily looking to the original vedic system, by being more understanding of certain castes eating meat, including adult cow/bull meat, with a completely vegetarian human society as the end goal. Our Brahmins to put the weight of their preaching to stopping the killing of baby cows and the machine driven suction gang rape of their grieving mothers udders to get milk. This will help prevent our Brahmins from being corrupted by the milk/rape/veal industry.

Brahmins will also make sure that as more people become vegetarian, the farm animals that they used to eat are not becoming extinct.

Brahmins to provide praise and emotional support to companies trying to come up with an honest, humane solution to our milk crisis. Brahmins will support companies that are trying to genetically engineer a cow that can produce milk without the machine driven suction gang rape of a grieving mothers udders after having all of it's children murdered every year.

Yes, we are all fools. Prabhupada would be furious to find out that we are disobeying his cow protection rules and are killing baby cows and suctioning off their milk for ourselves.

Have we no shame? Have we no sense of decency, at long last? Can we finally stop lying? Can we finally stop this cover-up? We must all be atheists to think that our crimes will go unpunished. How much worse will we make this for ourselves?

Oh! Woe is to us!

Woe!

BHAGAVAD-GITA: "Cow Protection" - Not "Cattle Raising"

When Dravinaksa Prabhu uses the expression "Open A Case Of Nectar" when he talks about opening a case of Prabhupada's original Bhagavad-gita's, I can understand what he means. All the poetic language is there, along with all the bhakti-saturated impressionistic illustrations so beloved by Srila Prabhupada as "windows to the spiritual world."

But there is one crucial change that Prabhupada stated that he wanted made on numerous occasions. That is in Bg 18.44.

The translation in the book reads:

"Farming, cattle raising and business are the qualities of work for the vaisyas…"

Srila Prabhupada wanted that changed to read:

"Farming, cow protection and business are the qualities of work for the vaisyas…"

So before anyone distributes these Gita's, they should make that change. Use an ink pen if necessary, or make some neatly printed labels to cover the mistranslation in the book.

Srila Prabhupada was much more emphatic about the importance of cow protection than most modern swamis - whether inside or outside ISKCON.

For example, you'll rarely hear them state that comfort of the cows is more important than comfort of the brahmanas - but Srila Prabhupada makes that statement in the Bhagavatam:

For the cowherd men and the cows, Krsna is the supreme friend. Therefore He is worshiped by the prayer namo brahmanya-devaya go-brahmana-hitaya ca. His pastimes in Gokula, His dhama, are always favorable to the brahmanas and the cows. His first business is to give all comfort to the cows and the brahmanas. In fact, comfort for the brahmanas is secondary, and comfort for the cows is His first concern.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SB 10.8.16

In the first canto of the Bhagavatam, Srila Prabhupada refers to cow protection as one of the two "pillars of spiritual advancement." Prabhupada is not making a concoction when he emphasizes the importance of cow protection in Krsna consciousness. On the contrary, the importance of cow protection to Krsna is actually the very first word of spiritual instruction that we obtain from Lord Brahma, who is the founder of our sampradaya millions of years ago: "Govindam adi purusam" meaning "Lord Krsna, the Pleaser of the Cows, is the Original Person." Therefore we sing this prayer to the Deities every day. Also, Srila Prabhupada is practically the only swami to point out the fact that real cow protection must include working the oxen.

On the other hand, in ISKCON we see numerous examples of leaders who minimized the importance of cow protection as a necessity for spiritual progress. Sannyasis like Kirtanananda, Jagadish and Harikesa who at one time became powerful members of ISKCON's GBC all had serious shortcomings in the matter of cow protection. From our perspective, it's difficult to say exactly what relationship this had to their subsequent falldown, but it is certainly worth noting. And there are other sannyasi leaders in today's GBC who have never even read the Ministry of Cow Protection and Agriculture's MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR COW PROTECTION. Obviously, we have to be concerned about their spiritual standing as well.

Thus, for reasons like these, I urge anyone who uses the old Bhagavad gita to please make that one change which Srila Prabhupada requested on numerous occasions. If you like, you may insert a slip of paper with the passages below to authenticate the change and demonstrate that this is not an arbitrary revision, but one which was repeatedly requested by His Divine Grace.

Tamala Krsna:

krsi-goraksya-vanijyam

vaisya-karma svabhava-jam

paricaryatmakam karma

sudrasyapi svabhava-jam

[bg 18.44]

"Farming, cattle raising and business are the qualities..."

Prabhupada: They are not cattle raising, that was...

Tamala Krsna: Cow protection.

Prabhupada: Cow protection. It has to be corrected. It is go-raksya, go. They take it cattle-raising. I think Hayagriva has translated like this.

Tamala Krsna: Hayagriva.

Prabhupada: No, it is especially mentioned go-raksya.

Krsi-go-raksya-vanijyam vaisya-karma svabhava-jam [bg. 18.44]. And then...?

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with the Mayor of Evanston -- July 4, 1975, Chicago

Prabhupada: That is fourth-class. First of all, third-class.

Nitai: Third-class: "Farming, cattle raising and business are the qualities of work for the vaisyas,..."

Prabhupada: Not cattle raising, cow protection.

Nitai: Cow protection.

Prabhupada: Yes. Farming and cow protection and trade, this is meant for the third-class division. And worker, fourth-class. These divisions must be there. Then the society will go on very nicely.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Television Interview -- July 9, 1975, Chicago

Prabhupada: One thing immediately inform Ramesvara. In the Bhagavad-gita yesterday they have edited "cattle-raising." But not cattle-raising.

Cattle-raising means to grow and killing. That is the.... Means the rascals, they have edited.

Pusta Krsna: Yeah, and we're.... (interference) Prabhupada: And "protection of cows," clearly.

Guru-krpa: Chapter Eighteen, Bhagavad-gita, that the vaisyas work...

Pusta Krsna: Oh, krsi-go-raksya.

Prabhupada: Ah, krsi-go-raksya. Immediately inform them.

Pusta Krsna: Okay. I noticed that also. I thought it was strange, some time back. [break]

Prabhupada: Hayagriva edited. He thought, "cattle-raising." Not "cattle-raising," but the word.... There.... It is mistranslation. It is go-raksya, "giving protection to the cows." Especially mentioned, go-raksya, not otherwise. The animal-eaters may take other animals, but not cow. They can take the pig, goats, lambs, rabbits, so many others, if they at all want to eat meat, birds, these so many. There is no such mention that "Animals should be protected," no. "Cows should be protected." That is Krsna's order. [break] They have decided to kill the cow. They have decided, "No brain. Eat." And our prayer is go-brahmana-hitaya ca, "to do good to the brahmanas and the cows." Actually it is revolutionary to the modern age. But how it is possible we say otherwise?

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk -- April 21, 1976, Melbourne

i'm doing mostly vegan thesedays, since this conversation...

i took my good old habits back of vanilla soy milk , cereals and fake meat (soycisses and so on...)

i feel betternow with this issue,not tht i'll be a 100% vegan again, but mostly vegan is my choice.

thanx !

i don't even talk about it, just a few to my wife!it's difficult here because of social pressure, being lacto vegetarian is accepted with difficulty, but i don't care, i'll do my best !!

It will be only me that have to deal with my karma at my death time !

Guest guest

Maybe you're better off using almond or rice milk in place of soy. I don't remember Srila Prabhupada ever advising us to use soy. Is it even used Vedicly for human consumption? The overabundance of phytoestrogens contained in soy are dangerous. It also contains other toxic ingredients that may cause serious diseases. There are many sites reporting the dangers of soy. Please check out this one:

Soy Online Service

www.soyonlineservice.co.nz

Hoping this meets you in good health.

Hare Krsna

Mother Cow

BY NANDA KISHORE

PUBLICATION, Apr 14 (VNN) —

After completing my education and training as a Veterinarian and then working for the government of India for 13 years in the Animal Husbandry Department, in 1995 I was finally able to start my own Goshala. Our first cow was Shyamarani and now nine years later the herd has grown to twenty-two adult milking cows and twelve calves. It has been a lot of hard work but it has been blissful at every step.

The cow as mother is an ancient concept in Indian culture, yet the vast majority of cows in India are mistreated even if they are not being sent to slaughter. The mistreatment of cows in India is usually due to either the poverty of the cows owner or just plain ignorance and lack of concern. Whenever persons from the West come to India and see the cows just loitering in the streets they are usually shocked and appalled by the sight. It is certainly embarrassing to a true follower of Indian culture that Mother India should treat Mother Cow with such indifference.

Our Goshala is striving to become the premier model for Goshalas in India and to set an example for proper cow care and protection. At present we are the only fully mosquito-proof Goshala in India. Our cows are bathed everyday and they are fed a diet of fresh grass and specially blended fodder. As a result of loving care and proper diet our cows are producing more milk and better quality milk than the average cows of their type, which are mainly Exotic Holstein Friesians.

Lord Krishna is the tender of the cows and the protector of the cows. Lord Krishna's devotees are also very fond of cows and so we invite all the devotees of Lord Krishna to please visit our http://www.mothercow.org and see how we are attempting to serve the cows and to please Lord Krishna.

Our website has a section for articles about cow topics and we would be very happy to post any articles written by you on the topic of cow protection, cow care, or any other cow related subjects. Please visit us soon.

Nanda Kishore manager@mothercow.org

Posted Image

P.E.T.A. on the Treatment of Cows

The following is a correspondence that I (Nanda Kisore) recently had with the Campaigns Coordinator of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) here in India. PETA recommends a boycott of milk and all milk products as a solution to the unethical treatment of cows. In my reply to PETA we have attempted to point out that surely more effective measures could be put into practice to prevent the unethical treatment of cows (especially here in India) and that a total boycott of milk would eventually lead to the extinction of the cow as a species.

On 4/2/04, "Dilpreet Beasley" <DilpreetB at petaindia.org> wrote:

Dear Nanda Kishore

Thank you for writing to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

The cow is revered in India, her special status enshrined by the law. But today, as you walk the streets of India, in every alley you will find a cow rummaging through the garbage for food. Every few days we read about a cow dead with tons of plastic bags in his or her stomach.

The 'holy cow' meets with a worse fate in the country where no devout Hindu can go through life without paying obeisance to Gau mata and where the Prime Minister does not file his election nomination without the mandatory gau poojan (cow worship).

As you are aware, most dairy products come from cows who are treated horrendously. Did you know that when Gandhi heard of cruel practices to increase the milk yield of cows in Calcutta he gave up milk.

For their milk, the cow is forced into yearly pregnancies. After giving birth she is milked for 10 months but will be artificially inseminated during her third month so that she is milked even when she is pregnant. The demanded of production of milk is more than her body can give. So she starts breaking down body tissue to produce milk. The result is an illness called ketosis.

Most of the day the cow is tied up in a narrow stall usually wallowing in her own excrement. She gets mastitis because the hands that milk her are rough and usually unclean. She gets rumen acidosis from bad food and lameness. To keep the animals at high levels of productivity, dairy farmers keep them constantly pregnant through the use of artificial insemination. Farmers also use an array of drugs, including bovine growth hormone (BGH); prostaglandin, which is used to bring a cow into heat whenever the farmer wants to have her inseminated; antibiotics; and even tranquilizers, in order to influence the productivity and behavior of the cows.

In the villages they practice phukan, a method of milking a cow. A stick is poked into the cow's uterus and wiggled, causing her intense pain. Villagers believe this leads to more milk. In the cities they are given two injections of oxytocin every day to make the milk come faster. This gives her labor pains twice a day. Her uterus develops sores and makes her sterile prematurely. Oxytocin is banned for use on animals but it is sold in every cigarette shop around a dairy. Every illiterate milkman knows the word. In human beings, oxytocin causes hormonal imbalances, weak eyesight, miscarriages, and cancer. Recently, Gujarat started raiding dairies for oxytocin. In one day, they found 350,000 ampoules in just Ahmedabad!

Each year 20 per cent of these dairy cows are sent illegally by truck and train to slaughter houses. Or they are starved to death by letting them loose in the cities. Cows on today's farms live only about four to five years, as opposed to the life expectancy of 20-25 years enjoyed by cows of an earlier era. No cow lives out her normal life cycle. She is milked, made sick and then killed. Even worse happens to her child. The male calves are tied up and starved to death. Or sent to the slaughter houses. Even Dr Kurien admits that in Mumbai every year 80,000 calves are forcibly put to death.

Perhaps the greatest pain suffered by cows in the dairy industry is the repeated loss of their young. Female calves may join the ranks of the milk producers, but the males are generally taken from their mothers within 24 hours of birth and sold at auction either for the notorious veal industry or to beef producers. Also, once the cow stops giving milk, they are sold to illegal traders and they end up as someone's bag or shoes. Milk stables which do not have place for cows, leave them out on the road to forage in trash cans for food.

Getting the cows involved in the Urine therapy is not the solution. In China, bear gall bladders and bile products are used to treat a number of complaints, such as fever, conjunctivitis and liver disease. However as the demand for bile increased, Singapore now has a thriving trade, in illegal bear farming. Similarly, if the demand for cow urine increases, we could be facing a similar trade in India, where cows become machines and are kept in tiny cramped sheds with no proper food or water.

In traditional India, the cows roamed free and were milked by hand. The males were castrated (this turns a bull into a steer), and then used to plow the fields. The animals were revered. Their manure sweetened the soil, and was also dried and used as a cooking fuel, and even a building material. The animals were part of the ecosystem, part of the culture, part of the spirituality, and part of people's families. It can be painful to grasp how far we have strayed from a harmonious, credible, and sustainable relationship with these beautiful creatures.

In today's day and age, the best way to help the cow, is by spreading awareness among people for giving up milk and not using any of their products for our use.

Keep up the good work!

Dilpreet Beasley

Campaigns Coordinator

Nanda Kishore <manager at mothercow.org> replies to PETA as follows;

Dear Dilpreet Beasley

I have received your email above and noted the contents carefully. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website <http://www.mothercow.org> and to write me such an informative letter.

It is indeed saddening to see how at present in India there is such abuse, neglect, and utter lack of concern for the well being of the cow and the bull. Being an Indian and a Hindu it is doubly saddening for me to see such a situation wherein the cows and the bulls in India are not even treated as well as the cats and dogs in western countries.

The distressed condition of the cow and the bull is mentioned in this country's great Sanskrit literature, Srimad Bhagavatam. There it is said that in Kali-yuga (the present modern age) that the cow and the bull will be beaten and abused by the lower class of men/women who pose themselves as leaders. Indeed, it is the duty of the leaders in India to uphold the law and to see that the cows and bulls are protected but this is not satisfactorily being done as you have rightfully pointed out.

Honestly speaking, however, I was a bit surprised to see that as a remedy for the distressed condition of the cow and the bull that you have recommended the total abnegation of milk and all products derived thereof. I do not see how this boycott of milk can actually help the cows and the bulls which are suffering at the hands of people who are themselves suffering from the lack of proper knowledge of cow care and cow protection.

If we take the paradigm of a "no milk and no milk product" conception and apply that to all of humanity then what would be the use or function of the cow in the civilized world? My conclusion is that without a contribution of milk to the human beings then the cow doesn't have a contribution to society. And without that the cows and bulls, which are domestic animals since the beginning of human civilization, would perish. So in effect if we totally abstained from milk and milk products then the cows and bulls would ultimately become extinct. I am sure that is not what PETA has in mind.

Particularly here in India to encourage people to abstain from milk and milk products as a way to safe the cows will for the most part fall on deaf ears since the greater population here in India is Hindu and all the Hindu rituals require either milk, yogurt, or ghee (butter) to be preformed. These rituals have been going on for tens of thousands of years and are not likely to stop anytime soon. Therefore, I think that any solution to a problem, such as the ethical treatment of cows, should take into consideration the deep routed beliefs of the people in the country. So in a country dominated by strong Hindu beliefs wherein milk, yogurt, and ghee are a part of every religious rite, the suggestion of abandoning milk is not a good solution to the unethical treatment of the cow.

Poverty and ignorance are also great obstacles to overcome here in India. Many poor people keep cows and sell the milk to maintain their otherwise hand-to-mouth existence. If for example the wealthy folks of this country gave up buying their milk then the poor would sink even deeper into poverty. Being a village person myself I have seen the ignorance of village people (city people also) when it comes to caring for the cow, but I must also state that I have seen many families who love and care for their cows dearly.

So considering the broader set of circumstances (particularly here in India) I would think that PETA and other sensitive minded organizations should come together and insist that state and central government agencies establish strict ethical standards for the treatment of cows and other domestic animals by which all dairy farms (other farms) and individuals owning cows, etc must follow. This is indeed no easy task but seems to me to be a more plausible solution to the problem (and one that the dairy industry might embrace) rather than simply calling for the total boycott of milk.

In western countries I have heard that there are labels and such placed on products to advertise when a product is free from animal products or free from animal cruelty (such as having been tested on rats, mice, rabbits, etc). This then gives the consumer a chance to patronize products according to his or her convictions. So why not work with the government to establish such standards here in India?

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and I will be waiting with anticipation to hear from you again soon.

Sincerely,

Nanda Kishore

Veterinarian and Goshala Manager

The solution as I see it is that all milk from non-protected cows should be avoided. Right now that is more than 99.9999% of the cows in the West.

In the West at one time everyone traveled by horse. The horse was indespensible. The came the car,the horseless carriage. The horse has not gone extinct. But the numbers have reduced to a different proportion, a managable one.

Cows in the West are artifically impregnated and the numbers of cows are artifically high to supply the demand of the meat-eaters.

At this rate as the human population grows the number of cows produced will also have to increase. Where will the land come from? It takes so much land to grow the grain to feed to the cows. It takes huge amounts of water to raise animals for food. Their waste is a major problem.

We are on the verge of a major ecological disaster.

Please, Do Not Buy Milk From Unprotected Sources.

Hare Krsna,

The best solution is to keep our own cows, not just One or Two, but thousands, Vasiya Community, there is no loss in this, this is a good solution in my eyes..

Everybody keeps going on about in the Gita it says Cow Protection, well where is it?

When everybody tastes the milk of KRSNA Consiouss Cows, they won't want anything less.

Easy to talk about but I suspect very hard to do. It is difficult to live a simple life these days.

I have a lot of respect for ISCOWP and people like them. They roll up their sleeves, put the back, sweat and blood into it.

I'm just going to take the easy way out and remain vegan.

And very expensive as well. I have one friend who has tow cows and a bull. He sells manure for $20 a bag to help support the cows. Another has several dozen cows. He works with them all the time, and barely gets by financially, despite charging $9 for a half gallon of milk. "Thousands" is fun to talk about, bu ttalk is cheap.

Thats what my mum said,

actally also Bulls are being used less,

tractors are in effect.

Maybe she meant buffalos, there isn't many cows

where I live, also, we have many money to kill and maintain cows, but no money to look after them, whats that all about?