IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Vaisnava Role Playing Game

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hari Bol,

I am currently writing a pen and paper Vaisnava role playing game and am eager for devotee feedback. An introduction to the game can be found here:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/rubboferraro/

Don't be fooled by the nice layout - the game is far from completion. For those of you who don't have time to read the PDF currently, a brief synopsis:

The game is designed primarily for Vaisnava children (those in gurukula). It is a means by which they can have fun playing heroes who traverse the wonderful events at the time of Krishna’s appearance in the stories of the Mahabharata and Srimad Bhagavatam. Not our heroes with whom we are already familiar; Arjuna, Bhima, or Yuddhistira, but the heroes whose glories have as yet been unsung. The heroes who are imperative to the turning of favourable events in the history of the Mahabharata but did not get a mention in the great work. Perhaps you are a spy for Vidura, uncovering Duryodhana’s plot to burn the Pandavas in a house of lacquer. Perhaps, because of you, mighty houses of regal kings have become allied in the march against the Kuruva’s. Whatever your characters unique roll in the transcendental pastimes of Krishna’s lila you will see your efforts culminating in the greatest battle the earth has ever seen. Your character will eventually be standing on the battlefield of Kuruksetra.

On the way it is hoped that much more will be gained by the players - the retelling of Krishna’s pastimes a benediction in itself. Primarily a sound understanding of the discourse between Krishna and Arjuna that we know as the Bhagavad Gita should ensue as the players characters deal with spiritual issues replicating their daily life.

At this stage I would very much appreciate feedback from the devotees. Please take your time to ponder these questions and respond if you think it helpful.

1) Do you think children would enjoy playing this game?

2) Do you think it could assist in their learning Vedanta?

3) Do you forsee any pitfalls in such a game?

Thankyou for your time.

Hare Krishna,

Lorenzo.

Guest guest

Thanks for the replies. This is a pen and paper role playing game (not computer RPG like final fantasy) and the characters will be "god-like" in that they will have descended from the heavenly planets as requested by Sri Krishna to assist him in his lila. But you will not play THE demi-gods (Siva, Brahma etc.) but rather inhabitants of their planets. Power-wise you will be somewhere between a normal human and Arjuna.

And yes, after reading the Mahabharata, I think a game or a movie on the subject would put all the rest to shame as well. The Mahabharata makes the Lord of the Rings look like a skit on Sesame Street.

I would really appreciate some sincere criticism from anybody. And would add to the aformentioned questions:

4) If you are a teenager, would you play a Mahabharata RPG?

5) If you are currently living in India: Does anyone play pen and paper RPG's there? and do you think Indian teenagers would be interested in such things?

Thanks,

Lorenzo.

Guest guest

Even if I am not a teenager, I would play Mahabharat rpg, if it has good graphics.

Indian teenagers would mostly play board games, so if you make a board game of Mahabharat, that is similar to the board game of "life" , then yes may be Indian kids and teenagers will play those games.

I played a lot of RPG's before I met the devotees. If a quality Mahabharata RPG came out that was also accurate, I'd be inclined to give it a try /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Who is making this? Is it pen and paper, or an MMORPG?

The battlefield of Kurukshetra would make a great game in itself, you could learn fighting techniques (preaching),

though secretly I am wanting to play a game like Mortal Kombat...just think..

Round one 'FIGHT'

Bhima V Jarasandha

(KRSNA saying 'Finish him')

*Fatality*!

Guest guest

Who is making this?

My name is Bhakta Lorenzo Rubbo-Ferraro. Please I have given at the top of the page and download the PDF for an introduction. After reading it I would really appreciate some serious feedback. O.K. so far all of you have said that you would play it - particularily if it is bonafide. I guess I should tell you more about where I am coming from: I am an ISKCON devotee so the game is strictly in line with Srila Prabhupada's philosophy. Any more comments on my questions would be much appreciated.