IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

police work and leading a spiritual life....

Rate this topic

When I first read the post I read the word as Chauvinist and only after you (gHari) asked about it then I noted it was an Italian word. I must have heard the word when I was in Italy or something and filed it away in the back of this tiny brain somewhere.

Guest guest

Haribol, my criticism is where are the police when ya need them. Hopefully, he is eating maha-prasadam doughnuts and drinking herbal tea.

I hope he didnt leave because of all the anarchist commentary, but actually, under the banner of Krsna Consciousness, all the opposing factors can be united. Cops and anarchists, paupers and popes, heck, even mahak and theist prove that centrist republicans and extreme left well beyond kerry-white-bread democrats* can unite under the banner of devotion to the supreme lord.

hare krsna, come bust us, bro, at least sell us tickets to the ball. ys, mahaksadasa

*(PS the word came to me, I am a Malcolm X democrat, give me patrice lumumba or give me death (which is what they did, BTW)

Guest guest

Cops were not deprogrammers. In hawaii, in the early days, they protected the Samkirtana Movement. I remember one big Samoan policeman tolerating verbal abuse thrown at the devotees by the passing cars, but when a beer bottle was thrown, this dude was like an incarnation of Bhimasena, literally running after the car, teaqring the door off, and having three offenders handcuffed in a matter of seconds. He is my hero, and Im sure blessed beyond comprehension for protecting us.

HJare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

ps the deprogrammers were 99% good christians and respected parents of those whom they abused to a horrible degree.

Dear friend:

I realize that you asked this question while back – I hope that you have resolved your feelings on the matter – as you have nothing to feel guilt or concern about – as a police officer you have to do you duty – which includes violence at times.

Of course you are never acting on your own volition nor beyond what is reasonable in the circumstances in the doing of your duty – thus again no reason for compunction on your part.

It is nice to hear that a police officer is Krishna Conscious and striving to understand the context of your duty juxtaposed between these issues.

As you have much experience in the field with people you have seen that people are tending to more and more violence – a crisis is evermore prone to escalate and barrel out of control – I pray for your safety and that of all police.

I appreciate the great courage and dedication that it takes to be a law enforcement officer!

Of course it’s important [for your overall well-being] to try to perform this duty without emotional attachment – without actually becoming angry in the situation.

You may help this desired ability along - by chanting the mahamantra and - a careful study and understanding of the Three Modes of Material Nature – in terms of how either alone - or in combination - these three modes - or qualities - affect everyone and everything within our environment.

So basically - that means that the modes are in constant competition on people and things – for example – alcohol is a substance that is in the mode of passion – and it’s affect on people in the various modes - goodness and passion and ignorance - will determine the results to be expected.

In the Nectar of Devotion we see this round about comparison:

“…Generally, those who are exalted personalities [people in the mode of goodness] lie down when they feel intoxicated, whereas those who are mediocre [mode of passion] laugh and sing during intoxication, and those who are lowly [mode of ignorance] use vulgar language and sometimes cry. Such intoxication is manifested according to different ages and mentalities…” [Nectar of Devotion, chapter 29]

There is so much more in the vedic texts about the modes of material nature and - all of us must try to understand this important ‘environmental logistic’ properly.

Here are some quotes from Srila Prabhupada about this matter – you could see yourself as a ksatriya in this regard:

“…Ksatriyas are allowed to commit violence in that way because violence for a good purpose is a part of their duty…” [sB 3.21.50, purport]

“…A ksatriya is allowed to kill only for maintenance of the law and order of the state; he is not allowed to kill or commit violence without reason. Violence is certainly a path leading to a hellish condition of life, but it is also required for maintenance of the law and order of the state…” [sB 4.11.7, purport]

“…Similarly, the ksatriya has to protect people…That is his duty...Violence is required in order to give protection. In Bhagavad-gita Lord Krishna directly gave His order to Arjuna to commit violence on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra, just to give protection to the people in general…” [Nectar of Devotion, chapter two]

“…So ksatriya cannot be nonviolent. It is not possible. Violence is also required to keep the social system strictly in order. Just like the government has violence department, the police department, the military department. That is required to keep up the society in order…” [Lecture, September 01, 1973]

Your servant,

BDM