IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

studying the scriptures

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Lately I'm wondering a lot about this. Is it absolutely necessary to study the scriptures and all the writings of previous acaryas to figure it all out?! Or better yet, is there really something to figure out? I tend to get depressed when I study too much because there's just so many different voices all yelling to be heard and when you are on your own without guidance of a guru or temple authorities it is kind of hard to separate it all from each other. Also, the many arguing that I see on forums where devotees hang out tend to make me drift away from KC more than it brings me to it. I hate arguing and quarreling, and I especially hate it when I see devotees doing so.

Shouldn't we just love Krishna with our whole heart without getting caught up in all the theory?

And are there any temples out there where they live thinking this way?

Or am I just looking too hard and thinking too much?

Lately I'm wondering a lot about this. Is it absolutely necessary to study the scriptures and all the writings of previous acaryas to figure it all out?!

••yes.. it is essential, noting takes birth from the ignorance. Spiritual realization and knowledge are given by the mercy of krsna and guru, but they do not want us sitting idle waiting for the illumination.

I tend to get depressed when I study too much because there's just so many different voices all yelling to be heard and when you are on your own without guidance of a guru or temple authorities it is kind of hard to separate it all from each other

••the key is "without a guidance of a guru", pray krsna to send to you a pure devotee to take shelter, he will easily reconcile alla the different positions you see, or , you think to see, in the spiritual scriptures. Among the multiple ways of spirituality (even inside the same vaishnava schools), he will help you to find yours.

Also, the many arguing that I see on forums where devotees hang out tend to make me drift away from KC more than it brings me to it.

••we are a philosophic movement, cultural movement, teological... discussions, exchanging opinions, clarifying doubts is absolutely essential. Fanaticism starts when there's no possibility to discuss the doctrine, when there's ignorance, silence. So do not worry, if there's discussions, and you want to give your opinion do it in a vaishnava way to give the example, to show the right behaviour

Shouldn't we just love Krishna with our whole heart without getting caught up in all the theory?

••if we do not study from guru, shastra and tradition who is krishna it is very difficult to develope love for him.. we cannot love a person that we do not know deeply, or that we are not full of the desire to know more and more about him

And are there any temples out there where they live thinking this way?

•••temples without philosophy and books? who are we worshipping if we do not know him?

Or am I just looking too hard and thinking too much?

••oh, no problem, maya is very powerful, she is simply making her job...

pray krsna for a spiritual master and go on chanting hare krishna, this is the only medicine