IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

Das & Devi Dasi

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

I have found out that some devotees even without being Initiated use the affix Das & Devi Dasi at the end of their names, I mean I am not debating their devotion, by why use this affix when you haven't been actually given it yet?

I do not understand.

"I have found out that some devotees even without being Initiated use the affix Das & Devi Dasi at the end of their names"

•••if one adds "devi dasi" or "das" to his name, better to substitute also his name with a krishna's one:)

(john das, mike das, sri james das maharaja, sophia dasi (but this is not bad.. servant of the knowledge!).. very funny!!)

for giving ourselves a devotional name without a spiritual master i find it strange, but it does not scandalize me too much... i am frightened if this name does not join with a devotee behaviour and if, achieved a little social status among the practitioneers, all this is meant as a "bypass" procedure of the necessary research of a pure, uttama adhikari spiritual master

It frightens me more when someone gives themselves one or more of the Lord's Holy Names without adding the servant suffix to it. That makes it sound somewhat mayavadi to me.

If you think about it...the suffix is a description word not a title so dasa equals servant of.

you are right, i take it a right advice for me that i have signed with yasodanandana and not yasodanandana dasa... i will try to think at me as a servant of god and not at god.. many thanks

(in gaudya vaishnava sampradaya, and also by prabhupada, when there's frienship or informal relationships many time devotees call themselves simply with the names without das or dasi... srila prabhupada many times calls devotees "gaurasundara, yamuna, harikesha etc.. come here..")

yasoda nandana..... dasa /images/graemlins/smile.gif

was not referring to initiated disciples who had been given their spiritual names by their gurus and i feel badly that you took this as personal chastisement. Please do not take it that way as it was not meant in that vein.

My point was to people who give themselves the spiritual names.

Guest guest

You may want to read "Vaishnavism, Real and Apparent" by HDG Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura. Then again, you might not.

But it may send the wrong signal to a person, I see your point though, maybe from now on I'll call myself..

Govindaram Das Adhikari 108 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

or maybe not, I'll wait until I am Initiated. (if that ever happens)