IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Kulapavana

true story?

Rate this topic

Source: TBRNews

Published: January 2, 2004 Author: AP

Arkansas City (AP) -- A Little Rock woman was killed yesterday after leaping through her moving car's sun roof during an incident best described as "a mistaken rapture" by dozens of eye witnesses. Thirteen other people were injured after a twenty-car pile up resulted from people trying to avoid hitting the woman who was apparently convinced that the rapture was occurring when she saw twelve people floating up into the air, and then passed a man on the side of the road who she claimed was Jesus.

"She started screaming "He's back, He's back" and climbed right out of the sunroof and jumped off the roof of the car," said Everet Williams, husband of 28-year-old Georgann Williams who was pronounced dead at the scene. "I was slowing down but she wouldn't wait till I stopped," Williams said. She thought the rapture was happening and was convinced that Jesus was gonna lift her up into the sky," he went on to say.

"This is the strangest thing I've seen since I've been on the force," said Paul Madison, first officer on the scene. Madison questioned the man who looked like Jesus and discovered that he was dressed up as Jesus and was on his way to a toga costume party when the tarp covering the bed of his pickup truck came loose and released twelve blowup dolls filled with helium which floated up into the air.

Ernie Jenkins, 32, of Fort Smith, who's been told by several of his friends that he looks like Jesus, pulled over and lifted his arms into the air in frustration, and said "Come back here," just as the Williams' car passed him.

Mrs. Williams was sure that it was Jesus lifting people up into the sky as they passed by him, according to her husband, who says his wife loved Jesus more than anything else.

When asked for comments about the twelve dolls, Jenkins replied "This is all just too weird for me. I never expected anything like this to happen."

That is weirder than the orange juice man from the 60's. He had a bad acid trip and came to believe that if anyone touched him he would turn into orange juice.

I hope his mind has solidified by now and he is out of that little room.

Guest guest

I just checked snopes.com, and this is indeed an urban legend. The author, Elroy Willis (sounds like a character in the story, no?) should find a career writing funny stuff, though.

But what does it say that we could even consider such a thing as true? Either about the people we live among or ourselves.

This whole material experience is like a bad acid trip.

theist: But what does it say that we could even consider such a thing as true? Either about the people we live among or ourselves.

The picture it presents is not pretty.

t: This whole material experience is like a bad acid trip.

B: Oh, yeah. That's why it's so important to take the recovery process seriously. Do you want to wake up like this? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had my doubts about this story from the beginning and posted it in the jokes section, but it was moved here /images/graemlins/wink.gif

(it did not seem right that she tried to get out through the sunroof, as they are usually quite small openings and are not easily reached from the front passenger seat. the rest was quite believable. I live in the "Bible Belt" area of US and these types of faithful are quite common here)

The size of the sun roof didn't bother me at all. I haven'thad a car with a sun roof in a long time, but when I was in high school we had two Mercedes Benz cars, one of which had a sun roof. I remember that, when my friend Doug Elder and I drove into DC for our high school graduation, when the Stones' "Satisfaction" came on the radio (it was 1965) as we drove along the Mount Vernon Parkway, Doug, who's 6'4", stood up through the sun roof and was dancing like crazy. (Yeah, we were a little jazzed about getting out.)

Looking at the story as a piece of humorous fiction, I find it well composed. At first the reader may be a little mystified and horrified (People floating into the air? After all, it's not 1967.), but when we get to the toga party and the helium-filled blow-up dolls, it's hard not to fall down laughing, and be embarrassed about it at the same time.

I should have known... faith makes a lame man jump over mountains, let alone jump through a car sunroof /images/graemlins/wink.gif

...as to the moving vehicle antics: a friend of mine got stung by a bee in a very delicate spot while riding his motorcycle in shorts. he told me it took all he had in him not to wipe out (he was going pretty fast). from that time I tend to be very conservative when it comes to moving vehicles