IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
AncientMariner

Buddhism

Rate this topic

I have this Buddhist friend of mine and the guy is just brilliant but he can't seem to grasp the fact that Puranas etc. are real history. He believes the Godhead is real but he thinks "it is sometimes portrayed mythologically" hence he can't quite understand Krishna. I made that mistake myself when I was younger, couldn't grasp the fact that Puranas are real history. This person knows just about everything there is to know about Buddhism but I just can't quite communicate to him about Krishna.

Guest guest

Buddhists do not talk about God. It is a common misunderstanding that Buddhists consider themselves to be God. They - just like Shakyamuni Buddha - completely avoid the subject. They offer no worship, since their philosophy is that all phenomena is created by the mind alone so there is nothing and nobody to adore. Of course, in some countries like Thailand, where Buddhism is the official religion, people tend to approach Buddhism as people often approach Christianity in the West: once a week they go to the local temple, offer some fruits and insence to the Buddha-statue and pray for different material blessings. I hope this covers what you wanted to know.

Guest guest

They are not against Hindus or any other religion. I think this is one of the things devotees could learn from them: they devote their time to their spiritual practice instead of making campaigns against this or that religion, trying to prove they are the "best".

Guest guest

ye tv aksaram anirdesyam

avyaktam paryupasate

sarvatra-gam acintyam ca

kuta-stham acalam dhruvam

sanniyamyendriya-gramam

sarvatra sama-buddhayah

te prapnuvanti mam eva

sarva-bhuta-hite ratah

But those who fully worship the unmanifested, that which lies beyond the perception of the senses, the all-pervading, inconceivable, unchanging, fixed and immovable — the impersonal conception of the Absolute Truth — by controlling the various senses and being equally disposed to everyone, such persons, engaged in the welfare of all, at last achieve Me.

My opinion: If he controls his senses, follows buddha, he will reach nirvana- krishna.