IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

Sadness (not so much depression).

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://www.jaredstory.com/depression_food_therapy.html

There is some info here. But it is always harder for vegetarians. You may need to purchase supplements.

What You Should Eat & Why

complex carbohydrates

Consuming foods that are high in tryptophan along with foods high in complex carbohydrates will help enhance the proper absorption of typtophan more effectively. Carboydrates may also boost serotonin activity in the brain. Foods that are often referred to as "comfort foods" tend to be high in complex carbohydrates.

Leading Food Sources of complex carbohydrates: Broccoli, Rice, brown, Potatoes, Blackberries, Pasta, wheat, Squash, winter

folic acid

Because folic acid is often deficient in people who are depressed, getting more of this vitamin through foods may help. The vitamin appears to have the ability to reduce the high levels of homocysteine associated with depression.

Leading Food Sources of folic acid: Asparagus, Beets, Spinach, Avocados, Brussels sprouts, Bok choy, Cabbage, Savoy, Beans, dried, Chick-peas, Soybeans, Lentils, Oranges, Peas, fresh, Broccoli

magnesium

Magnesium is a mineral that may ease symptoms of depression by acting as a muscle relaxant.

Leading Food Sources of magnesium: Spinach, Chocolate, Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, Amaranth, Buckwheat, Avocados, Quinoa, Almonds, Barley

niacin

Based on niacin's well-recognized role in promoting sound nerve cell function, some experts recommend this B vitamin for relieving depression as well as feelings of anxiety and panic. Most B-vitamin complexes contain niacin in sufficient amounts for this purpose; they also offer the mood-enhancing benefits of other B vitamins.

Leading Food Sources of niacin: Rice, brown, Pomegranates, Wheat,

Guest guest

There are many things other than food therapy that you can do.

feeling sad? first look around, and see if the environment you are in right now is sanitary or not. If you keep your house dirty and unsanitary maybe it could cause you to be depressed.

Also, let plenty of sunlight enter your house, open the windows and let it shine. It may be strange at first but it will make you feel better.

Also, try to do something for God, plant a garden and offer those to God at the altar. Do somethings which are dynamic and try to avoid things that are static.

-TU

Guest guest

Your in Great Britain it says by your name. Wasn't it about 2:00 am in Britain at your last post? Maybe you are not sleeping right. Do you get enough sleep? What time do you need to get up?

"we should not try to artificially cheer ourselves up."

yeah i know.

I was asking for tips on what kinds of food is best, to see if it would help. (a little).

And stop winking at ppls!! haribol! /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

there is no better cheer up food than Maha-prasadam! Halava and gulabjamuns work miracles too... I could tell you hillarious stories related to this subject. Here is one:

Long, long time ago, when I was still a carefree brahmacari, we used to have gulabjamun juice drinking contests during major holiday feasts. An older guest joined in, downing about a quart of the "juice"(btw: that was far short of the top contestants like myself). After a short time this poor man was flat on his back in total delirium from sugar overdose. We were chanting loudly around him, just in case he passes away. Well... he lived and became a very nice devotee. We all thought that this was not a bad way to leave your body once it is time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

All glories to the Maha-prasadam of the Lord!!!!

!We were chanting loudly around him, just in case he passes away!

I can only eat 1 gulajamun then.

Maybe i would be good in a 'how long can you keep your mouth shut for long enough, for me to give you some advice' contest. heh.