IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

Surrender

Rate this topic

<font color="green"> Lecture Seattle, October 7, 1968 </font color>

And this is very nicely explained in the Teachings of Lord Caitanya. In the Bhagavad-gétä also, the same teaching is there, but... We have got two books already published, one, Bhagavad-gita As It Is; another book, Teachings of Lord Caitanya. So Bhagavad-gita teaches surrendering process. Sarva-dharmän parityajya mäm ekaà çaraëaà vraja [bg. 18.66]. " <font color="red"> You surrender unto Me </font color> ," the Lord says. And the Lord teachings, Caitanya Mahaprabhu's teaching is how to make surrender. Because we have been accustomed in our present conditional life to <font color="red"> revolt against surrender </font color> . There are so many parties, so many "isms," and the main principle is that "Why shall I surrender?" That is the main disease. Whatever political party is there... Just like the Communist party. Their revolt is against the superior authority they call capitalists. "Why shall we..." Everywhere, the same thing is, "Why shall I surrender?" <font color="red"> But we have to surrender </font color> . That is our constitutional position. If I don't surrender to some particular person or particular government or particular community or society or something, but ultimately I am surrendered. I am surrendered to the laws of nature. There is no independence. I have to surrender. When there is call of the cruel hands of death, immediately I have to surrender. So many things. So we should understand... This is brahma-jijïäsä, that " <font color="red"> Why there is the surrendering process </font color> ?" If I don't like to surrender, then I am forced to surrender. In the state also, if I don't mean to abide by the laws of the state, the state obliges me to surrender by police force, by military force, by so many things. Similarly, I don't want to die, but death forces me to surrender. I don't want to become old man, but nature forces me to become old. I don't want any disease, but nature forces me to accept some sort of disease. <font color="red"> So this surrendering process is there </font color> . Now we have to understand why this is so. That means my constitutional position is to surrender, but the present difficulty is that I'm surrendering to a wrong person. When we understand that I should surrender to the Supreme Lord, then my constitutional position is revived. That is my liberty.

<font color="green"> Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.7 Honolulu, May 8, 1976 </font color>

These rascals thought that "It is too much. <font color="red"> Why I shall surrender to Krsna? </font color> I am also as good as Krsna. Why shall I surrender?" That is our mentality. If somebody says, good man, that "You surrender. I shall give you good instruction,Oh, why shall I surrender to you?" That is material life. But our, this Krsna consciousness movement begins when you are ready to surrender. That is beginning. Tad viddhi praëipätena [bg. 4.34]. Praëipät means surrender. Prakåñöa-rüpeëa nipäta. " <font color="red"> Yes, I surrender to you </font color> ." That is the beginning. Bahünäà janmanäm ante jïänavän mäà prapadyate [bg. 7.19]. <font color="blue"> To learn the surrender, it will take many, many births </font color> . Bahünäà janmanäm ante. <font color="purple"> But those who are intelligent </font color> , they will surrender immediately. "Krsna says, 'Surrender,' and why not? Krsna is the Supreme Lord. Let me surrender." Then his life is successful immediately. <font color="orange"> Within a second his life is successful </font color> . But we are not prepared to surrender. That is our material disease. So if we do not surrender to Krsna and take His instruction and make our life, that is our choice. But if you like, you can make your life successful within a moment simply by surrendering to Krsna.

Thank you very much.

Devotees: Jaya Prabhupada! (end)

http://www.asitis.com/18/66.html <font color="blue"> </font color>

<font color="red"> Abandon all varieties of religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reaction. Do not fear. </font color>

Ps I don't understand yet the process of surrender, its seems to be beyond me, if bhaktas/matas could add comments/verses on, it would be very helpful for me and i am sure other as well...Hare Krishna!

I don't understand it either. I am thinking it may be because it is so simple. I seem to be searching to understand it as an intellectual equation. The real block maybe due to my simply not wanting to understand it.

Guest guest

Process of surrender or saranagati, there are 6 steps to complete surrender to the Lord. I will post them if I find them, but please if someone found them already then kindly post them here.

Theist Prabhu:

<font color="red"> "The real block maybe due to my simply not wanting to understand it." </font color>

That is a very interesting thought, still trying to be Enjoyer as i am, how can i possibly understand.

Thank you Prabhu for posting and sharing with us this quote. And yes...i too found it hard to grasp - what exactly does one do when surrenders until recently when i came face to face with very difficult situation in my life.

I was very distressed to the point that it began to affect my devotional practice. And in desperation I began to think of all the things that I had heard from my spiritual master and read in Srila Prabhupada's books. Some thought that would be put me back on the path of devotional practice.

I approached my spiritual master and asked what do i do when difficulties befall on you and crush you ....how do i keep firmly put on path of bhakti?

My spiritual master (All Glories to my spiritual master!!!!) quoted a beautiful verse (i cannot remember the exact words) which meant that

"just as when you fall on the ground, in order to rise up and to be back on your feet, you take the support of the same ground and stand up, in the path of bhakti when you stumble and fall, you use bhakti itself to restore your balance." In other words, simply continue however hard it may be....automatically u will be back on your feet.

And I did...i forced myself to sit and chant and as i chanted ..and chanted....things changed....and i was truly amazed to see how effortlessly i restored my balance. i became more attached to chanting...whenever more distressed i would get.

and as i began to restore my balance, i got into the frame of mind where i began to accept the calamity that had befallen on me ...and i thought to myself if it were not for this calamity i wouldnt have been so attached to the chanting...and that made the calamity even more acceptable....in fact i reached a point when i began to love the calamity as it had me more attached to Hari Naam...and it is at that point i realized that what i had effectively began to do was to surrender to the situation (and to the Lord under whose dictates and laws i was suffering). I was not reacting or analysing what happened to me but just chanting and chanting....that means i was surrendering.

So, i personally feel

"surrender" = chanting the holy name irrespective of what happens to us materially.

surrender = not analysing or blaming or reacting to anything that happens to us = accepting our suffering as results of our past karmas (law of the Lord) and chanting and dedicating every thing that we do to the service of the Lord so that we dont create more karmas in the present which will result in our future suffering.

Hope this helps.

bhakto~lata

when i realized this about surrendering, i had written a hindi poem which goes something like this....so u could say that its a poem that is written in the mood of surrendering

chanchal paagal manvaa re

dukh kaa dukh kyoN kartaa re

sukh aayaa jab bhii dwaare

too naam Hari kaa bisraa re

dukh hee teraa haath dhare

Hari ke sharaN le jaataa re

dukh usko hee miltaa re

jo hai Hari ko pyaaraa re

chanchal paagal manvaa re

dukh kaa dukh kyoN kartaa re

the english translation of the poem is

Oh restless and crazy mind of mine

why are you grieving over your grief

each time happiness came at your door

you never remembered to take the holy name of Lord

It is the grief that holds your hands

and leads you to the lotus feet of The Lord

suffering is given only to those

who are dearest to the Lord

(as He is too eager to burn their karmas)

So restless and crazy mind of mine

why are your grieving over your grief.

bhakti~lata

Haridhaam Prabhu

I thought you stooped reading my poems :-(...but now i know that u r still reading them :-) hehehehe !

Haridhaam, i want u to know things will work out just fine....relish all difficult moments by dipping them in the syrup and nectar of Hari Naam....they will all feel as delicious as Rasagullaas :-) LOL !!! ha ha ha !! hey i think i just wrote a poem...dont u think ;-)?

The deities are called Sri Sri Radha Shyamasundar Jiv..yes they do inspire me.

By the way, do you know Hindi? Where are you originally from?

Well i am originally from India but now living outside India .....down under :-).

bhakti~lata

Bhakti Lata:

<font color="blue"> "Just as when you fall on the ground, in order to rise up and to be back on your feet, you take the support of the same ground and stand up, in the path of bhakti when you stumble and fall, you use bhakti itself to restore your balance."

</font color>

<font color="blue"> In other words, simply continue however hard it may be....automatically you will be back on your feet.

</font color>

Haribol! thankyou for you kind post, it has helped a lot, and i have read some of you poems, but i love this one about surrender.

Bhakti Lata:

<font color="red"> " <font color="purple"> surrender </font color> " = chanting the holy name irrespective of what happens to us materially. </font color>

Jaya!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SRI HARINAMA CINTAMANI

by Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

One must then drop all false designations like brahmana, sudra, father, husband, king, subject, master, donor, maintainer; and attachments to money, body, sons, wife etc. Instead, one should enter the mood of the paraphernalia of Lord Krsna, thinking:

'He is the real Master and Lord, and His will is imperative.

I am ready to act only to fulfil Lord Krsna's desire and will not even think about my own wishes.

I will adjust my household affairs for the Lord's satisfaction. By His wish I will cross the material ocean.

Only by His desire will I feel genuine compassion for the suffering souls.

In times of both joy and sorrow I remain eternally Lord Krsna's servitor.

My moments of material enjoyment and my moods of renunciation are experienced only due to the Lord's will.'

<font color="red"> When these feelings arise spontaneously, one achieves the stage of atmanivedana (surrender of the soul). </font color>

Ps i can't find the sarangati, if somebody has a nice link, please post, thx.

Also there seems to be six items mentioned above /images/graemlins/smile.gif

you started another thread entitled "Faith" in which you posted the following..

Lord Chaitanya Mahaprabhu:

"' In the beginning there must be faith. Then one becomes interested in associating with pure devotees. Thereafter one is initiated by the spiritual master and executes the regulative principles under his orders. Thus one is freed from all unwanted habits and becomes firmly fixed in devotional service. Thereafter, one develops taste and attachment. This is the way of sadhana-bhakti, the execution of devotional service according to the regulative principles. <font color="red">Gradually emotions intensify, and finally there is an awakening of love. This is the gradual development of love of Godhead for the devotee interested in Krsna consciousness.</font color>

http://caitanyacaritamrta.com/madhya/23/14-15

This is surrender.

krsna-sambandha vina kala vyartha nahi yaya

SYNONYMS

krsna-sambandha vina--without a connection with Krsna;

kala--time vyartha--useless nahi yaya--does not become.

TRANSLATION

<font color="orange"> "Not a moment should be lost. Every moment should be utilized for Krsna or connected with Him. </font color>

PURPORT

Maharaja Pariksit's expression of anxiety is explained in this verse. He says, "Let whatever is destined to happen take place. It doesn't matter. Just let me see that not a moment of my time is wasted without a relationship with Krsna." One has to tolerate all obstacles on the path of Krsna consciousness, and one has to see that not a moment of his life is wasted outside of Krsna's service.

http://caitanyacaritamrta.com/madhya/23/22