IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Haridham

Does the Quran talk about meat eating?

Rate this topic

Now we know the vedas state that meating is no good. Even some quotes from the bible state no meat eating. How about the Quran? I know they dont eat pork but does it state anywhere not to eat meat period?

I am curious

Guest guest

It does support the eating of bloodless meat though. I have heard that they slice a goats throat and let it bleed to death to death and then after all the blood has run out of the goat, they eat it.

Yeah, I hear they have a thing for goats.

Anyways, I have also heard that before the kill the goat they recite a mantra in the goats ear which says that in the goats next life it will lets just say return the favor.

Guest guest

But Islam and Christianity preach that the animals in nature are for humans to enjoy. They are made by God for man to enjoy and they do not have the same rights as humans do because they are less intelligent.

In Islam, everything except men are to be enjoyed, including women. It is said that woman comes from a man's rib in Quran, but it is interpreted as "a woman does not come from his feet for him to crush , a woman does not come from his Head, for her to command him, a woman comes from his rib which is closer to the heart and for him to enjoy."

Islam and vedic cultures, including "Hare krishna" movement have many things in common.

and they eat these animals, dont they become less intelligent.

I have heard that they say women are this and that. Once I said to my islamic friend if you guys think women are bad, less intelligent and such and if you guys desperatly go after these women then doesnt that make you equally stupid?

Interesting, there was no reply.

Guest guest

You are a human being, you have an evolved brain. Why do you think that you become less intelligent if you eat the animals? From a Muslim point of view, all you will be is a happy little guy who ate the nice animal made by God for you to fill your tummy.

Islam does say things against murder, but that DOES NOT apply to animals.

When I said Islam and Hare krishna movement have many things in common, I meant that they have some things in common even though they are different from each other.

For example, the sufi(inspired by the notions of bhakthi from hinduism) poets also put greater emphasis on personal devotion to God like the Bhakthi Yogis.

Many things that Mohammed says about many issues (not counting the meat eating) , is also said by Srila Prabhupada.

Mohammed prohibits the drinking of alcohol- So does prabhupada. Mohammed supports working rather than gambling- So does prabhupada. Mohammed supports the idea that we are the servants of Allah, so does prabhupada.

So, there are many similar teachings between both Mohammed and Srila prabhupada and of many other yogis of India.

But Islam and Christianity preach that the animals in nature are for humans to enjoy. They are made by God for man to enjoy and they do not have the same rights as humans do because they are less intelligent.

Where in the Qur`an does it say this? Made for man to enjoy?

You are a human being, you have an evolved brain. Why do you think that you become less intelligent if you eat the animals?

Several scientific studies abound that show that the types of food that are eaten have a significant effect on the body, mind and behaviour.

Besides this, does it not bother meat-eaters that they are eating a dead body, cooked at that?

Ain't my sort of cuisine! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

For example, the sufi(inspired by the notions of bhakthi from hinduism) poets also put greater emphasis on personal devotion to God like the Bhakthi Yogis.

I studied this a while ago, the similarities between bhakti and Sufism. I ultimately came to the conclusion that they are not similar in terms of the goal, but they are certainly similar in attitudes and some practices. Ultimately the difference may matter, as Bhakti-yogis (Gaudiyas anyway) have a personal conception of God to aspire to, while Sufis maintain that God is ultimately a formless entity that is meant for us to merge into and become "one" with. This is a loaded subject and different Sufi orders may say different things, but they are all similar in that they maintain a certain sense of "oneness" is necessary.

So does prabhupada. Mohammed supports the idea that we are the servants of Allah, so does prabhupada.

However, Srila Prabhupada explained that "service" may be performed in five ways. In my studies of Islam, I concluded that Islam is basically on the dasya-rasa platform with some subtle hints of sakhya-rasa. I do not think modern-day Muslims would agree to the ideas of being the parents or lovers of 'Allah.'

Guest guest

"I have not met my love but thou

Art sinking to thy rest, O Sun.

The messages I give thee, take

And tell to my beloved one.

To kech go, say: 'the sad one died

Upon the path.''Twas not for me

To meet my love; death supervened.

I'll die, be nothing utterly

In seperation from my love. "

These types of masterpieces of poetry were used to tell the story of the human soul by the poets like abdul latif. Now what was that about allah not being the lover?

In Islam, Allah is to be feared and yes, it is dasya rasa only, but sometimes he can be viewed a a beloved and a friend as well as a master.

I understand when you mean, but it does not affect you by a health standard... I mean may be you can die of a heart attack sooner than a vegetarian, but there are no worser things that can happen to you.

These types of masterpieces of poetry were used to tell the story of the human soul by the poets like abdul latif. Now what was that about allah not being the lover?

Oh yes, Shah Abdul Latif. I am familiar with SAL because he was a Sufi poet/saint from Sindh, am I right?

In which case, Sufism is not considered by orthodox Muslims to be an authentic branch of Islam. They ridicule and denigrate it. Apart from that, I agree that the sentiment of "Lover-loved" may be present in Sufism to some extent, but can we agree that it is not as detailed as much as the gopi-bhava theology developed by several schools?

In Islam, Allah is to be feared and yes, it is dasya rasa only, but sometimes he can be viewed a a beloved and a friend as well as a master.

I have yet to see evidence from Qur`an or the Hadiths to backup the "bhavas" of beloved. I have seen dasya-rasa present, and within sakhya it is a sense of sambhrama-sakhya and not visrambha-sakhya.

Could you please lookup any evidence from Islamic sources about "beloved" bhavas, please?

When they are about to eat a goat or kill it actually they whisper a mantra in its ear to say that it can return the favor in its next birth as a human and he or she comes as a goat.

Thats what I have heard but i am not sure