IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Haridham

"Hindu" or Vedic symbol

Rate this topic

Technically its Vedic, but since Hitler liked the arayan concepts presented in Vedic literature and because he twisted everything he came near, he misused it. Now it is no longer understood in that way AT ALL. Unfortunately, due to him, we ca'nt use it. It triggers awful thoughts for many.

Just tell people to chant Hare Krishna.

nazis literally twisted swastik yantra (reversed the direction of spin) which is very ancient and used by buddhism as well. it is a symbol of auspiciousness and prosperity (placed often on Sri Yantra plates), not peace in the "hippie" sense. this symbol appears with and without dots in vedic culture. It is not much used outside India (even by the Aryan culture enthusiasts like myself) due to obvious negative associations.

I heard of a group of neo-nazis in the midwest who broke into a Sikh gurudwara and spraypainted swastiks on the walls. I bet when the people came in the next morning were wondering why these people felt the need to break in during the night when they obviously liked them so much. (Kind of like breaking into a Catholic church and spraypainting crosses)

LOL Yes, and if they had only phoned ahead and made an appointment, they would have let them come do it for free, and then they could have done a much more professional job too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So why then hindus call it the symbol of peace?

Ofcourse they say "Hinduism" is about unity but then there is a cast system.

Do they say these things because they have no clue and it just sounds nice to everyone else?????????

I hope this doesnt get heated. lol

Hare Krsna

Hare Krsna

My question is.....

what exactly does the symbol mean?

and also why the "hindu's" give watered down and wishywashy answers about everything.

Also i would like to thank you for sending me the invitation, I registered and will go on from time to time.

I have to figure out how to use it

Thanks

Haribol,

Well, since we did not get into it much in ISKCON (because of its misunderstood but more popular meaning due to Hitler) I don't quite know its exact meaning. Just what Kulapavana said "auspiciousness and prosperity."

Not sure what specifics you are referring to with the washy washy concerns. Tho in general, that stuff bothers me too. ha

Yes, I saw you joined. Thanks. Its not a real active group, but not inactive either. All posts take a while to go thru, but not to worry, they go thru. :-) What I like most about it, is that anyone can do devotional service from home.

I think Hindus call swastik the symbol of peace to contrast that with current western ideas associated with this symbol. Peace in the sense of "absence of war" was never high on list of priorities in the Vedas. However, wars were fought honorably and did not involve general population. The peace Vedas are focusing on is "shanti" or inner peace, which comes from spiritual understanding. Om shanti, shanti, shanti!

The Wishywashy refers to everything they do.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am glad you know what I mean.

I mean I am from an Indian(gujurati, "hindu") background and I live with these things everyday and GOD(Krsna) its so annoying.

AUM Sarveshaam Swastir Bhavatu

Sarvesham Shantir Bhavatu;

Sarvesham purnam Bhavatu;

Sarvesham Mangalam Bhavatu.

AUM Shantih, Shantih, Shantih

more or less means...

May all be auspicious;

May all attain peace;

Let there be fullness and contentment all over;

May all be blessed.

AUM peace, peace, peace.

Happy Deepawali to you!

Thank you for telling me what that meant.

Happy Diwali to you too, its my birthday on Diwali.

Jai Sri Ram. I am also in a play and my role is Hanuman.

The story of Rama and Sita is quite where I am right now.

Although Ram and Sita is Divine and where mine is not.

Namaste,

I love Hanumanji, the greatest bhakta

You better be careful playing him... you know he is Chiranjeevi(immortal), and he will actually physically be in the room while you are acting. No pressure, though. He has no pride to hurt! Good luck.

Yatra yatra Raghunaatha kirtanam

tatra tatra krita mastakanjalim

bhaashpa-vaari paripoorna lochanam

marutim namada rakshasa-antakam

(In every nook and corner where Lord Raghunath is sung about, he (Hanumanji) is there, with tears flooding from his eyes. Salutations to my Lord Maruthi, He who saw the end of all evil ones!)

some additional info on this subject from various internet sources:

"The swastika is an equilateral cross with arms bent at right angles, all in the same direction, usually the right, or clockwise. The swastika is a symbol of prosperity and good fortune and is widely dispersed in both the ancient and modern world. It originally represented the revolving sun, fire, or life. The word swastika is derived from the Sanskrit swastika which means, "conducive to well- being". The swastika was widely utilized in ancient Mesopotamian coinage as well as appearing in early Christian and Byzantium art, where it was known as the gammadion cross. The swastika also appeared in South and Central America, widely used in Mayan art during that time period.

In North America, the swastika was a symbol used by the Navajos. The swastika still continues today to be an extensively used sign in Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism. In Buddhism, a swastika represents resignation. In Jainism, it delineates their seventh saint, and the four arms are also used to remind the worshiper of the four possible places of rebirth; the animal or plant world, in Hell, on Earth, or in the spirit world. To Hindus, the swastika with the arms bent to the left is called the sathio or sauvastika, which symbolizes night, magic, purity, and the destructive goddess Kali. In both Hinduism and Jainism, the swastika or sathio is used to mark the opening pages or their account books, thresholds, doors, and offerings.

The swastika was a symbol for the Aryan people, a name which, in Sanskrit means "noble".

Using over 400 rare and unique photos and illustrations, visionary Pop artist ManWoman shows you the playful ways the Swastika was used before World War Two especially in America where it was the homegrown lucky sign of Native people. An eye-opening investigation into the hidden sacred history of the swastika and the enormous heritage we have lost because of swastikaphobia.

Gentle Swastika investigates swastika rituals of the pagan world and swastika history. It shows you swastikas in ancient synagogues and Christian catacombs. It shows you how the swastika transforms from the ancient symbol of the Goddess and the tribal migrations of native Indians, into Victorian good luck sign, the occult magical symbol, and the peaceful mystical blessing of Hindus and Buddhists. It shows you contemporary uses of the swastika as the emblem of punk rock defiance and youth culture. Gentle Swastika illustrates many variations of swastika; the meander, the triskelion, the tetraskelion, the fylfot, the gammadion, and the hakenkreuz.

•Part 1

Origin of the Swastika

Mesopotamia and India. Islamic use. Atlantis? Genital shields of aboriginal

Brazilian women. Mayans, Aztecs. Greek priestesses branded Swastikas on

their arms. Goddess figures dug up at ancient Troy have Swastikas on the

vulva. Romans took the Swastika across Europe. Egyptians?

•Part 2

Use and Misuse of a Symbol

Types of Swastikas. The Swavastika or backwards Swastika. Various names

for the Swastika. Amulets, talismans and hex signs. Pre-Nazi German use.

Ancient swords. My conversation with Helga, a Hitler Youth. Hitler's

mightiest magical weapon. How Hitler came to choose it for his flag. Hebrew

religious sign found on ancient synagogues. Essene Swastikas. The Cabala.

Jewish usage.

•Part 3

In Western Cultures

Swastika, Ontario, Canada. The town's struggle to keep its name after the

war. Three Canadian hockey teams called the Swastikas. Coca Cola's lucky

Swastika watchfob 1925. Jackie Kennedy's Indian dress. Swastika, New York,

Swastika, New Mexico. Boy Scouts Swastika badge. Detroit car with Swastika

hood ornament. Swastika surfboards from Los Angeles. Swastika shoulder

patch of 45th Infantry division US Army. What every girl wants--her own

Swastika. The Girls' Club of Ladies Home Journal. Emblem of the Dawn

Patrol, American volunteer pilots in WW1. Quilt patterns, architecture. The

Wild West--Swastika saddles, Swastika branding irons.

Chief Dan George praised my efforts to cleanse the Swastika. What it means

to native Indians, First Nations people. Dozens of examples--Hopi, Navaho,

Cree, Haida, Sioux nations. In 1940 native Indians in Arizona, New Mexico

in a solemn ceremony gave up their sacred symbol.

British uses of the Swastika including Rudyard Kipling and Celtic tattoo

designs. Swastika Laundry in Dublin, Ireland. The Nordic use--the Hammer of

Thor. Viking swords. Ancient Runes. Finnish Air Force's blue Swastika.

Carlsberg beer trademark. Iceland Steamship logo. When the last czar of

Russia was imprisoned with his family in 1917, the Romanoff girls

embroidered lucky swastikas on fabric before their deaths by the Bolsheviks.

•Part 4

In Eastern Cultures

Tattooed on women in Africa to ensure fertility. Gold weights from West

Africa. China and Japan. Samurai armor and Ninja throwing stars. Tattooed

on monks in Tibet. The Dalai Lama's throne.

•Part 5

As a Mystical Symbol

Hindu uses. Sacred Fire. Ganesha. Holy spots are marked with Swastika.

Sacred Heart of Buddha. Buddha's footprints. The Jains, who are

non-violent, make the sign of the Swastika. Christian symbol from the

catacombs. Gnostic grafitti. Occult Swastikas--Theosophists, Rosicrucians,

Masons, Golden Dawn, Transcendental Meditation, Pythagorus, Madame

Blavatsky, Krishnamurti, Rudolf Steiner, William Butler Yeats. Aliester

Crowley claimed Hitler stole the Swastika from him.

Guest guest

I'm sorry, but I had stumbled across this pathetic forum and seeing you guys arguing about the swastic. I read some points which were obviously taken from books written by people who know very little of the Hindu culture and are trying to prove something to the world which amazingly takes anything that is thrown at them. Anyways, I have lived in India for many years and have been part of that culture all my life. For those who do not know or are uncertain the real meaning of the symbol is PURITY. Now, some of you did mention the Arian race, but forgot to mention how the swastika is connected to them. The Arians were considered by this Hitler DUDE to be "pure" (not sure how you define a race to be pure). So he used the swastik to represent his nation as a nation of purity. If this is still unclear for you guys than go read some books that actually are written from people who have experienced the culture and what not.

Anyways, I'm out and won't be coming back so don't bother writting an angry message because I won't be here to read it.

P.S. Swastik was created by Hindus not the Nazis.