IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

KARMA AND SINS OF THE MIND

Rate this topic

Guest guest

MY QUESTION IS RELATED TO THE WORKING OF KARMA.

DO SINS COMMITTED ONLY IN THE MIND BUT NOT IN REALITY CAUSE BAD KARMA?

I READ IN THIS SPIRITUAL DISCUSSION A VIEWPOINT THAT IN THIS AGE OF KALIYUGA,SINFUL THOUGHTS DO NOT CAUSE BAD KARMA. BUT I HAVE READ SOMEWHERE ELSE THAT SINFUL THOUGHTS CAUSE SINS OF THE FLESH AND HENCE MIND CONTROL WAS VERY ESSENTIAL.

WHICH IS THE RIGHT VIEWPOINT?

Guest guest

Karma means action from one view point. Both sinful thoughts and sinful actions against someone will have repurcursions. When the thought is evil and destructive, it makes one to act towards it and out of which ultimately hurtful action results. So if we keep our thoughts clean, the chances that we indulge ourselves in hurtful actions are less.

I also have heard this, that in the age of Kali yuga the mind is so weak willed that it drifts to many thoughts. Because we are so weak we are not held accountable for our wandering mind, but only for actual actions that we perform. It would be great if we could have this clarified if there is a verse that states something similar.

If I remember correctly, there is such a verse in Visnu Purana. Some sages want to ask some questions to Veda Vyasa. At that time, Veda Vyasa is taking bath. He understands what questions those sages want to ask. So, he makes some statements as the answers to their questions even before they have asked. One of the statements was "Kali is great." When the sages ask him as to why he said that, then he describes some of the virtues of Kali yuga. One virtue is that sin will not accrue just by having sinful thoughts.

Anyway, I will check the Purana again and post the exact verse.