IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Hindu and Caste system?

Rate this topic

I helped a friend out who had his first book published. I did the Graphic layout for the cover.

I saw him tonight and we were discussing religions.

I brought up the fact that my studies have been Hindu related and when I brought that up he said "ugh.. Hinduism is an ugly religion.."

I asked why? His reply was.. They are very judgmental and are without compassion when it comes to people of lower classes.

I was startled by his answer.

I dont know what he has seen or has read. But I dont see that in this religion.

I thought about it for awhile and came with this conclusion. The Caste system (I believe) is being done away with with.

To say that India still follows a caste system and that people still practice it.

Is exactly like saying that U.S. citizens still believe in slavery of Africans.

It's been done away with but you can still find people who accept it.

What would you suggest I say to him?

Guest guest

The caste system in the Hindu religion signifies different profession. In no way it classifies human beings in different orders. The caste system even exist today in every society, only thing is that we have changed names and has divided them into several new ones. Like businessmen, government servants, priests, service professional, armed forces and many more.

Its only that some ignorant people has made use of the caste system to their benefit. Our scriptures is full of knowledge but one cannot blame these scriptures for the human misuse.

Its like that same way, that Jihad means Holy War. Some Muslims consider 9/11 as terrorism and other think it’s a holy war. If killing innocent people is holy war, Bin Laden is mistaken and would you blame Quran or Bin Laden for this mistake?.

Note: I first posted this reply under some other thread, I just copied the same reply here.

Rakesh

Guest guest

I am not a Hindu, but I believe I understand the Caste System. It is based on the belief that it is not efficient to mix peoples who hold different moral values.

For instance: If you yourself go to hang out in a very criminalized neighbourhood, you then know that you must watch your back continuously. You know that you are sourronded by people who do not share the same moral values that you have, you know that you are surrounded by people who may not value human life the way the people in your neighbourhood do, for whatever socio-economical reasons.

This does not mean that criminals that live in such a neighbourhood are responsible for their lack of values. There might be a number of reasons out of their control for them to act this way. They were probably issued from violent, disfunctional families. However, this does not mean that you should not protect yourself from them.

In the same way, people from different social backgrounds, usually educated/less educated, usually differ significantly with respect to moral values. Some social groups, and some families, find it repugnant to lie, to cheat, to take advantage of others, to coerce other, while other social groups are not disgusted by such behaviour.

In consequence, a person who always tells the truth, does not cheat, respects others, does always share with others will be disadvantaged if this person deals with a person who does not share the same values.

For instance, if you always tell the truth and you are dealing with a liar, you will ultimately loose in this relationship. The liar will take advantage of your sincerity, you will not even know he is lying because you don't know how to recognize liars, and eventually he will take advantage of you.

In the same way, a generous person who is in contact with a person who takes advantage of others, will ultimately loose in the relationship.

In the same way, a person who is confident and who, consequently, does not need to mock, debase and humiliate other, will loose if she is in contact with a person who has an inferiority complex for however reason, and therefore feels the need to insult and debase others. Quiet and good people are at a disadvantage when in contact with bad, aggressive people.

For this reason, people divide in social classes. Primarily, because they are afraid of the envy, the aggression and the mercantilism of others. I consequently understand the Caste System of India.

This does not mean, however, that social classes should be fossilized. The higher classes should give opportunities to all, but they should not give them social power (particularly education) if these have not proven they are capable to handle power. People who have been socio-economically repressed have major difficulties handling power. They have repressed aggression and need to revenge and have a tendency to abuse power. Usually, when such people gain social power, they are very cruel to their own social background. The more people have suffered, the more dangerous they become to others.

However, equality must eventually be reached for all of us to be happy and freed from the hatred and the envy of others.

Guest guest

"They have repressed aggression and need to revenge and have a tendency to abuse power. Usually, when such people gain social power, they are very cruel to their own social background. The more people have suffered, the more dangerous they become to others."

Thats what happens today all over the world. The people abuse power and do not think for the society as a whole but think for their own selfish desires.

The thing that makes me wonder is , how do they ignore that if the society goes down then every thing else in the society also goes down, which includes them too?

-I_L_K