IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

Lord Siva as Spiritual Master

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

I am ignorant of this subject matter but has Lord Siva ever/has had a disciple who has become a devotee of Krishna, I am sure he must have but I can't name anybody, except of-course his son Ganapati who worships Lord Nirsimha.

I am speaking for example like Sri Narada Muni initiates many people into the Maha-Mantra, Om Namo Bhagavata Vasudevya & Rama, and made all of them Maha-Bhagavata devotees.

Or has Lord Siva specifically 'other' duties and not particularly to be a Spiritual Master.

Please forgive me for any offences caused.

Haribol!

according to http://www.mayapur.info/navadwip_dham/rudra_more.html

"...Rudra Sampradaya

“In this Rudradvipa, the eleven Rudras reside, Headed by Nila-lohita Siva, the Rudras chant Gauranga’s glories and constantly dance in bliss. As the demigods watch their dancing, they become happy and shower flowers from the sky. One time, Visnusvami came here during the course of his tour to defeat opposing philosophies. He stayed the night with his followers here in Rudradvipa. The disciples began dancing and singing, ‘Hari bol!’ while Visnusvami recited prayers from the sruti. Pleased by the discussion of bhakti, Nila-lohita mercifully appeared there. Upon Siva’s arrival in the assembly, Visnusvami became startled. He folded his hands in prayer and recited appropriate praises. Siva spoke to him, ‘All of you Vaisnavas are dear to me. Your discussion on devotional service has pleased me. Ask a boon, and I will grant it. There is nothing I will not give to the Vaisnavas.’

Visnusvami offered his dandavats and, filled with ecstatic love, he said, ‘Give us this one gift; that henceforth we will perfect a sampradaya teaching devotional service.’ In great bliss, Rudra consented and named the sampradaya after himself. Thus Visnusvami’s sampradaya is called the Rudrasampradaya. With the mercy of Rudra, Visnusvami stayed here and worshiped Gauracandra with a desire to attain love of God.

Bilvapaksa

Generally people call it Bela Pukhariya (or Belpukura). The place known in the scriptures as Bilvavana in Vraja is situated here in Navadvipa. One time some brahmana devotees of Siva worshiped him by offering the leaves of his favorite tree, the bilva, or bael, tree for a fortnight’s duration. Siva was pleased with the brahmanas and gave them Krsna-bhakti.

Amongst those worshipers was Nimbaditya, who had been very attentive in the worship. Siva spoke to him, ‘At the edge of this village is a sacred bilva forest. Within that forest, the four kumaras are sitting in meditation. By their mercy, you will receive transcendental knowledge. They are your gurus. By serving them, you will receive all that is of value.’ Saying this, Lord Siva disappeared. Nimbaditya searched and found that place and he saw the four brothers - Sanaka, Sanandana, Sanatana, and Sanat-kumara sitting on a platform near Siva, unseen by others. They were young, naked, and noble in character. Nimbarka cried out in excitement, ‘Hare Krsna! Hare Krsna!’

On hearing the holy name, the Kumaras’ meditation broke and they saw before them an ideal Vaisnava. They embraced Nimbaditya and asked Who he was and why he had come to see them and they told him that they would fulfill his desires. Nimbarka offered his obeisance's and humbly introduced himself. Sanat-kumara smiled and said, ‘Knowing that Kali-yuga would be very troublesome, the all-merciful Supreme Lord decided to propagate devotional service. He empowered four men with devotional service and sent them into the world to preach. Ramanuja, Madhva, and Visnusvami are three of these men. You are the fourth of these great devotees. Sri, Lakshmi accepted Ramanuja, Brahma accepted Madhvacarya, Rudra accepted Visnusvami, and we, meeting you today, have the good fortune to teach you. This is our intention. Previously we were engaged in meditating on the Brahman, but the sweet taste of pure devotional service, I have written one book named Sanat-kumara Samhita. You should receive initiation into its teachings.’ The four brothers gave him the Radha-Krsna mantra and instructed him how to worship Radha and Krsna filled with sentiments of great love, called bhava-marga. Having obtained that mantra, Nimbaditya resided at this sacred place and worshiped according to the injunction of that samhita."

In the 4th canto of Srimad Bhagavatam, Lord Siva instruct the 10 sons of Pracinabarhi to worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

4.29.3. The great sage Maitreya said: The sons of King Pracinabarhi, known as the Pracetas, underwent severe austerities within the seawater to carry out the order of their father. By chanting and repeating the mantras given by Lord Siva, they were able to satisfy Lord Visnu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

In chapter 24 of this canto we have the prayer Lord Siva gave to the Pracetas glorifying the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Here you go /images/graemlins/smile.gif