IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

First Buddhist University

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Posted Image

Soka University of America, Aliso Viejo (SUA, Aliso Viejo) is a selective, independent, non-profit, co-educational, comprehensive institution of higher learning.

The university offers a comparative study of Eastern and Western perspectives integrated across a traditional liberal arts curriculum. SUA serves both national and international students.

Founded on the Buddhist principles of peace, human rights and the sanctity of life, SUA is open to students of all beliefs and is committed to diversity in its academic community. Soka University, AlisoViejo opened in fall 2001 to its first 120 freshmen students.

Ultimately, the university plans to serve 1,200 residential, undergraduate students. The student-faculty ratio is 9 to 1. Other programs, including educational access for adult students and graduate programs, through the doctorate, are planned for the future.

http://www.soka.edu/splash/index.asp

http://www.sgi-usa.org/

A couple of notes on this school.

It's run by Soka Gakkai, which many of us from the '60s (and '70s) know as Nichiren-shoshu, the "Namyoho renge kyo" folks ("I wanted a Caddilac, chanted for a Cadillac, got a Cadillac. I wanted to get rid of my wife, chanted, and she was gone. I wanted a new, younger wife, chanted, and got one." They have crafted a more mainstream approach over the decades and apparently no longer feel a need to buttonhole young people on the streets and lure them to their "happiness meetings."

One of the professors there, Holly Ogren, is an initiated Gaudiya vaishnavanamed Hari Kanta dasi. (I think she may have been initiated by Tamal Krishna Goswami.) My friend Govinda dasi calls her "Professor Holly-ananda."

I remember them. They used to always stop me walking on the

street as they were driving around. They would then invite me to their class.

One guy said "I always wanted to be a bartender and then I started chanting and now I am in bartender class."

Didn't quite sound like Buddhism to me.

Guest guest

Hsi Lai University, founded in 1991 by Master Hsing Yun of Fo Guang Shan, is located in the City of Rosemead, Los Angeles County, California, U.S.A. This is a modern University in an exquisite setting and combines the best features of Western and Asian cultures. It is open to students from the United States and countries worldwide.

Hsi Lai University is well-organized, with a multi-cultural orientation, and multi-faceted objectives of education. The content of the curriculum is designed to achieve an integration of the humanities and the sciences; theory and practice, as well as the East and the West. Students are expected not merely to acquire knowledge and skills, but to develop a good personality founded on traditional virtues, so that they can embark on a bright career, on the one hand, and live a spiritually rich and peaceful life, on the other hand. Creativity, adaptability and leadership are fostered to enable students to become active and useful members of the human society. An internationally reputed faculty with excellent qualifications in their subjects provide courses of an exceedingly wide range.

http://www.hlu.edu

http://www.blpusa.com