IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

May You Be the Mother Of 100 Children

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The purpose of this topic is to discuss whether there was family planning in vedic times and if family planning is relevant in modern times.

Children increase the bondage between the married couple - the more the merrier. The matajis on this forum should clarify - the women are happier when they have many healthy, wealthy and wise children. Their affection for their husband becomes deeper with each additional child. One of the common wishes that elders bestow upon on newly wed women is "May you be the mother of 100 children". Given today's economic scenario, I dont know if it is a blessing or curse in disguise.

In the vedic times, I see that the number of children varied from couple to couple. For example, Janaka had only one daughter, Rama two sons, Nanda had 3 (?), Dasaratha 4, Pandu 5, ..., Sudama 27, Drtarashtra 100, Krishna 1000s. What was the case with common populace ? Did commoners practice self restraint or some form of ayurvedic contraception ? If they did restrain the number of children what was the reason ?

How should a devotee view family planning ? As there is no guarantee of a child becoming a devotee, how should a devotee approach the issue of having children ?

How should a devotee view family planning ? As there is no guarantee of a child becoming a devotee, how should a devotee approach the issue of having children ?

It should be viewed as service to Krsna. Influencing others towards Krsna Consciousness is all one can do. The final decisions ultimately will rest with them as the grow. But influencing others seems to me to be all the guru can do as well as each soul has its own inherent free will. So the father and mother should see their duty to act as loving gurus to the souls that Krsna places into their sphere of influence. This is a great service.

They will have to assess their own capacity from the economic angle, their own pyscho/emotional stamina,(I hear it can be trying at times) and how a family and what size can work within their own personal sadhana.

For the cat or dog no forethought is required. For the devotees they should really think long and hard before taking on this responsibity. Not being able to control some sex urge is not what it is all about.

Guest guest

The doctor yells :number 1, and the nurse yells : out!

The doctor yells :number 2, and the nurse yells : out!

The doctor yells :number 3, and the nurse yells : out!

The doctor yells :number 4, and the nurse yells : out!

------------------------1 hour later----------------------

The doctor yells :number 100 and the nurse yells : out!

phew!

then there is another head showing!

the doctor weakly calls out number 101 and the nurse weakly says /images/graemlins/blush.gifut!.

They both look at the girl and she says : "what do I do, they just keep coming"

--------------------------

poster : I_Love_krishna_

we should have children if we are sufficiently sure to care for them spiritually and materially.. so this is the rule

so you and your wife have to judge how many children you can care for in both ways

the worst thing is to have children only to satisfy the urge of sex

i have seen too much devotees prematurely married and mather and father only to have a little sex with the illusion of respecting in this way the regulative principles....... with very often the result of divorce or sons with problems

better to do the "little" sin (in comparison) to have some "illicit" sex (or sex without the intention to procreate) than do unwanted children

prabhupada says that if the son does not become a devotee, is illicit sex even if we have observed all the samskaras

of course ... in my humble opinion

The blessing "May you be the mother of 100 children" is just a blessing in disguise.

The true meaning of the blessing as said by some one saintly in my life is to ensure fertility in the young woman. Also, the intimacy in the couple.

Thats all.

The best thing for us to do is to decrease the attachment to our material bodies and increase attachment to our soul and krishna.

So, my opinion on this is have kids but keep the number down to two or one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The doctor yells :number 1, and the nurse yells : out!

STOP!!! ow..ow..ow..you just shot me 31 years back in time! I need to lay down now!!! ow..ow..ow... /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Where is the screaming and cursing smilie???

The whole pregnancy/birth thing is sooo strange. A little body growing inside another body...wierd. Better if they grew on special trees or something.

Such a deep illusion. People think they have created life by this process.

I have heard that during birth women will swear "never again" but right after birth they are ready for another one. Apparently LE got the message the first time.

Being in a male body it is all so mysterious to me.

Guest guest

Because she can't bear to see her body after all 100 deliveries. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

_______

I_L_the big K

Guest guest

prabhupada says that if the son does not become a devotee, is illicit sex even if we have observed all the samskaras

Prabhu, could you kindly direct me to the reference of this quote. I'm not doubting that Srila Prabhupada said this, I would just like to know where I could find the quote.

Your servant, Guest J.

i am sorry, it is in an "harisauri diary" i have all and they are very thick

of course i apologize

but it is also logical

licit sex is for have children and father and mother have the duty to bring the sons to krsna.... if this does not happens all the legitimation goes away

Guest guest

Prabhupada: That is sinful. Don't you see, illicit sex, what havoc it has done?

Mr. Koshi: What exactly do you mean?

Prabhupada: Illicit sex, do you think it is...?

Mr. Koshi: Outside marriage, you mean?

Prabhupada: Yes. Not only outside marriage. Even in marriage, you cannot have sex as you like. You must have sex according to the regulative principle or religious principle.

Mr. Koshi: Could you explain?

Prabhupada: Yes. Just like only for begetting nice children.

Mr. Koshi: For begetting?

Prabhupada: Nice children.

Tamala Krsna: Good children.

Mr. Koshi: What is the meaning of good children?

Prabhupada: Good children means not these rogues and thieves, but one who can understand God. That is good children.