IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

A Learned Man Takes the Essence of Knowledge

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A learned man takes the essence of knowledge from all places, just as a bumblebee collects honey from each and every flower. (Srimad Bhagavatam 4.18.2) /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, Prabhupada did say this about trying to read the books of Bhaktivinode etc.

""So this is parampara system. You cannot imagine what my spiritual master said. Or even if you read some books, you cannot understand unless you understand it from me. This is called parampara system. You cannot jump over to the superior guru, neglecting the next acarya, immediate next acarya." (Lecture 8/12/73)

"Whatever is to be learned of the teachings of Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura can be learned from our books. There is no need whatsoever for any outside instruction. So I hope that you have understood these matters and I pray to Krsna always for your protection and advancement in Krsna consciousness."

Prabhupada letter to disciples

Srila Prabhupada also said this:

Paramahamsa: Srila Prabhupada, I remember once I heard a tape where you told us we should not try to read the books of previous acaryas.

Srila Prabhupada: Hmm?

Amogha: That we should not try to read Bhaktivinoda's books or earlier books of other, all acaryas. So I was just wondering . . .

SP:I never said that.

Ad: You didn't say that? Oh.

SP: How is that?

Ad: I thought you sadi that we should not read the previous acaryas' books.

SP: No, you should read.

Ad: We should.

SP: It is misunderstanding.

PS (Paramahamsa): I think maybe he was thinnking that there was something about some of the Gaudiya Math books.

SP: Maybe.

PS: And sometimes you said that better not to . . . better to read your books.

Ad: Wehn the devotees went to India this year, they said that Acyatananda SWami very . . . chastised them that "you should never . . . If I catch any of you buying Bhaktisiddhanta's books from Gaudiya Math, then I will take it away." Something like this.

PS: Yeah, that was . . . the reason was because of . . . he didn' want the devotees going to Gaudiya Math. But there's nothing wrong with the idea of studying the previous acaryas' books.

SP: No. who said? That is wrong. We are follwing the previous acaryas.

(Morning walk, perth, May 13, 1975)

There was a context for any comments he made that seemed to restrict us from reading other books. One aspect was that we were buying books from Gaudiya Math, but GM wouldn't sell any of Srila Prabhupada's books. Another was that many of these same devotees eager to read Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura's or Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati's books weren't even read Srila Prabhupada's. He wanted to be sure we didn't neglect studying the books he worked so hard to give us.

I remember hearing a prominent ISKCON sannyasi boast that he had never eread anything but Srila Prabhupada's books. That sannyasi was Bhavananda. Phalena pariciyate. To undersand Srila Prabhupada's instructions, we need to take--and follow--the totality of his directions to his disciples, not a couple of quotations out of context. If we use a few quotations simply to bludgeon devotees we don't like or don't understand, that will not help us advance in loving Krishna, which is how Srila Prabhupada often said we could please him.

Srila Prabhupada: Hmm?

Amogha: That we should not try to read Bhaktivinoda's books or earlier books of other, all acaryas. So I was just wondering . . .

SP:I never said that.

Ad: You didn't say that? Oh.

SP: How is that?

Ad: I thought you sadi that we should not read the previous acaryas' books.

SP: No, you should read.

Ad: We should.

SP: It is misunderstanding.

PS (Paramahamsa): I think maybe he was thinnking that there was something about some of the Gaudiya Math books.

SP: Maybe.

PS: And sometimes you said that better not to . . . better to read your books.

Ad: Wehn the devotees went to India this year, they said that Acyatananda SWami very . . . chastised them that "you should never . . . If I catch any of you buying Bhaktisiddhanta's books from Gaudiya Math, then I will take it away." Something like this.

PS: Yeah, that was . . . the reason was because of . . . he didn' want the devotees going to Gaudiya Math. But there's nothing wrong with the idea of studying the previous acaryas' books.

SP: No. who said? That is wrong. We are follwing the previous acaryas.

<TT>Sri Guru & His Grace

</TT> Chapter Three

Descent

of the

Revealed Truth

Slaves of the Truth

Srila B. R. Sridhara Maharaja,

We are slaves of the truth. We are beggars for the pure current of truth that is constantly flowing: the fresh current. We are not charmed by any formality. I will bow down my head wherever I find the river of nectar coming down to me. When one is conscious that the Absolute Truth is descending to him from the highest domain, he will think, "I must surrender myself here."

Mahaprabhu says to Ramananda Raya, kiba vipra, kiba nyasi, sudra kene naya, yei krsna-tattva vetta sei guru haya. "Wherever the truth appears, wherever the nectar of divine ecstasy descends, I shall offer myself as a slave. That is my direct concern." Whatever form it takes doesn't matter much; the form has some value, but if there is any conflict, the inner spirit of a thing should be given immense value over its external cover. Otherwise, if the spirit has gone away, and the bodily connection gets the upper hand, our so-called spiritual life becomes sahajiya, a cheap imitation.

When we are conscious of the real substance of Krsna consciousness, the real wealth we are receiving from our spiritual master, then our spiritual life cannot be sahajiyaism, imitationism. We must be aware enough to detect our guru's advice when we find it in another. One who is awake will see, "Here is my guru's advice, I find it here in this man. Somehow or other, it has come here. How, I do not know, but I see my guru's characteristics, his dealings, and behavior in this person." When we are able to recognize a thing for its intrinsic value, then, wherever we find it, we cannot neglect it.

How could we not find Srila Prabhupada in Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakur and visa versa?