IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

ISKCON gurus and their health

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i was just wondering, a lot of the ISKCON "gurus" seem to have serious health problems, i only know of two: Radhanath Swami and Satsvrup Swami but have heard its common, ie. also with Hrdyanda? Swami, etc...

could this be of their offences to Srila Prabhupada and ISKCON?

just a thought...

Letting the mind go anywhere near such ideas is sure to put one in reverse. One may well need to be in reverse in the first place to have such thoughts ooze out of the mind.

What was Srila Prabhupada's sin that caused his diseases? There is no rationale to continue this line of thinking.

Guest guest

"could this be of their offences to Srila Prabhupada and ISKCON?"

ok....... what is your answer?

Guest guest

Often times these sannyasis have lived their lives writing or preaching, and have not taken the time to take care of their bodies. If a sannyasi were to exercise he might be criticized for being too attached to his body. But one should have a healthy body for preaching.

I'm reminded of a story Brahmananda told about Srila Prabhupada. This was very early on in the days of Iskcon, and I don't recall the health problem. They brought in a doctor to see Srila Prabhupada. The doctor's analysis [said in best New York accent] "The swamiji prays too much. He should get outside and walk around." Brahmananda and the others were like "Ok, you're a crack." But Srila Prabhupada overheard what the doctor said and told them "He has given very good advice." From that moment onwards Srila Prabhupada started his morning walks.

This is the origin of the morning walks from which devotees have eternally benefited, due to the advice from a "crack" doctor.

I heard a story one that Prabhupada was walking through Balboa Park in San Diego with some disciples and they passed by some person doing hatha-yoga and standing on his head. As they passed by some disciples started to snicker as if the person was being foolish and Prabhupada supposedly said "no, this is good health".

Some devotees suffer ill health because of being in the mode of ignorance regarding their health. That has nothing to do with being transcendental to the body. It is about ignorance and laziness to take care of their health.

Prabhupada suffered some childhood disease that caused permanent damage to his body and there is nothing he could do about that. When his disciples suffer ill health because of being in the mode of ignorance physically, that is not the same as Prabhupada's health condition.

would always inquire about the health of His disciples in His letters etc and give them advice on their health issues. Type in health on the vedabase and you will come up with approximately 5000 references!

Here is one that I thought might help:

Letter to Satsvarupa; 8/19/68

So far Jadurani is concerned, inform her that this body is Krsna's body. Therefore, she should take care of her health. Of course it is very encouraging that she puts forward service of Krsna first, then all other consideration. It is very nice, and I very much appreciate this attempt. But still, we should not neglect about our health. Because the body of a devotee is not material. The body of a devotee should not be neglected as material. This has been warned by the Gosvamis, that we should not neglect any material thing if it can be used for Krsna Consciousness. So her body, because it is engaged in Krsna's service, is valuable.

Guest guest

i think it might be a cause of the offences.

Srila Prabhupada was very much older compared to these devotees, so health problems were expected. these devotees are only around 50-60 yrs old? at least 10 years younger than His Divine Grace.

it was just a thought i had, i didnt say i believed it, i was just look for opinions

hare krsna