IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
bhavini

Cheese

Rate this topic

I was wondering whether Hindus are allowed to eat cheese. At the moment I've stopped eating it because I'm unsure. This is because in my biology lesson I learnt that the gene for the enzyme chymosine is used in yeast for cheese manufacture. The chymosine gene is from the guts of cows. They say that because they've now isolated the gene, it is therefore genetically modified making it suitable for vegetarians. Still I don't know. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Also I'd like to know more about what foods we are not allowed to eat. Up until now I was ignorant about the fact that onions and garlic for forbidden and possibly more sinful than eating low animals such as pig etc. Please can someone enlighten me about any other foods that can hinder my spiritual progress.

Hare Krishna

why not try eating panner as a substitute for cheese?, it's just as tasty especially when fried...i know i shouldn't send in recipes but I've been eating this for about a week now.you should try it..

half cup milk, boil, add 1tbsp lemon juice, curdle, lower heat, add 1&half tbsp oil, simmer 4 mins, drain through sieve, add bit of the curd water, make nice paste, add some lemon j, salt & pepper, you have indian mayonnaise ! /fry some potatoes/chips, pour the mayo over and enjoy! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Honest question:<blockquote>Please can someone enlighten me about any other foods that can hinder my spiritual progress. </blockquote>

<H1> C H O C O L A T E</H1>

Just a little humour, kids.

Humour is Canadian humor. Actually, I always have white chocolate on hand, for that quick dessert or nibbling sweetness - but oh the calories, a little goes a long way.