IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Another illusion shattered (thank God!).

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Tonight I was watching The Actors Studio. James Lipton was interviewing Robert Deniro. Two things impressed me about Robert Deniro: No. 1--he did not appear to have any great insight into what it takes to be a great actor, although of course, he is one of the greatest actors of this century; and No. 2--although he is a great actor, he does not seem to have respect for the Supreme Person who gave him his abilities.

At the end of every interview, James Lipton asks selected questions to gain some insights into the actor's personalities. One of the questions always is-- If God exists, what will you hope that He says to you when you get to heaven? To this, Deniro replied, "Well, if He exists, then He has some explaining to do." <<This disgusting audaciousness is typical of materialists. They are always blaming God for their miseries in life, or for what appears to be inequalities in this world.>>

I have, in the past, always respected (naively so) great actors, thinking that they must have had obtained some spiritual advancement because they seem to be able to see into their character’s soul in order to portray him on the stage or screen. Well, this certainly proved me wrong. Another illusion shattered (thank God!).

Guest guest

These were the words between the brackets << >>:

This disgusting audaciousness is typical of materialists. They are always blaming God for their miseries in life, or for what appears to be inequalities in this world.

well, I think that he had a valid point as far as the mundane outlook is concerned. After all, for people like him, God is nowhere to be seen. His thinking is; If there is a God where is he? I don't see him anywhere. Why should God hide from us? If he exists all he has to do is show himself and the whole world will see and believe.

Actually, there is a lot of common sense in what he is saying. The problem is; God is beyond common sense. He is transcendental to this whole illusion that we accept as reality.

What the actor has failed to understand is that we must meet God on his terms and not ours. He has agreed to reveal himself to us through his devotees alone. If we are serious and sincere to find God, he can be found within our own hearts. But, we are so selfish and blind that we cannot even see God within our own soul. Everyday he has been given intuitive knowledge to struggle and survive in this world but he never bothered to stop and ask about where that intuitive knowledge was coming from within his own heart.