IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Chanting alone is fruitless

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Chanting the holy name of the Lord, in itself only achieves one thing - that is our amtaha karana or inner self is cleansed.

Then why does chanting appear to take precedence over other (more important) forms of devotion such as meditating on the Lord's form?

Guest guest

Prakasananda Sarasvati inquired about why Caitanya chanted and danced instead of studying Vedanta philosophy. Lord Caitanya, who in truth was extremely well versed in the Vedic teachings, replied, "l have taken to the sankirtana movement instead of the study of Vedanta because I am a great fool." Indirectly, the Lord was criticizing the Mayavadis for being overly proud of their dry, intellectual study of the Vedas, which had led them to false conclusions. "And because I am a great fool," Caitanya continued, "my spiritual master forbade Me to play with Vedanta philosophy. He said that it is better that I chant the holy name of the Lord, for this would deliver Me from bondage." Sri Caitanya then spoke a Sanskrit verse His spiritual master had told Him to always remember:

harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam

kalau nasty eva nasty eva nasty eva gatir anyatha

"In this age of Kali, there is no alternative, there is no alternative, there is no alternative for spiritual progress other than the chanting of the holy name, the chanting of the holy name, the chanting of the holy name of the Lord."

Chanting the holy name of the Lord, in itself only achieves one thing - that is our amtaha karana or inner self is cleansed.

Then why does chanting appear to take precedence over other (more important) forms of devotion such as meditating on the Lord's form?

According to whom? Please clarify the premises of your question first.