IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

why do women cover their heads?

Rate this topic

It seems funny to me, that our "traditionalists" insist on women covering their heads "for chastity" while they have no problem with women exposing their belly and wearing tight Indian tops in the temple... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

this is yet another example of pointless rules that dont help and just complicate life. I remember my daughter sweating in gurukula all summer (no air conditioning in southern US) because the teachers insisted on observing that post Moslem rule...

Guest guest

have no problem with women exposing their belly and wearing tight Indian tops in the temple

Care to explain what that means?

teachers insisted on observing that post Moslem rule...

Are U saying it's a Muslim tradition?

Guest guest

Dont be prudish and conservative. You have to take life easily and be modern.Only a warped society van force people to adhere

toi a dress code. Live and let live!!

to a westerner, a bare belly and a tight top showing breast line on a woman is BY FAR more provocative than uncovered head... I thought that was rether obvious.

"teachers insisted on observing that post Moslem rule...

Are U saying it's a Muslim tradition?"

no, please read it again. it's a post Muslim Indian tradition, or tradition influenced by Muslims and adopted by Indians, not really a part of the original Vedic culture.

and btw. bare bellies and tight tops dont really bother me in the temple - I dont look at them, I meditate on the Deities...

Guest guest

and tight tops might provoke you, but you ought to control your impulses and focus on Krishna. Obstacles are many, and since you're a neophyte devotee, your mind could get agitated at practically everything-it doesn't have to be the woman's dress. But you should pray to Krishna for guidance instead of worrying about dress code and such matters.

Haribol!

"But you should pray to Krishna for guidance instead of worrying about dress code and such matters."

that is certainly a very valuable advice, thank you prabhuji... but if you tried to actually read this thread carefully, you would have also benefited... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

will not do, Kula. People are distracted because they want to be distracted. They dont want to focus on Krishna, so dress code has become an excuse. Hope you take my advice and change for the better.

Guest guest

i must admit i get very distracted by the prabhus in their dhotis when they wear no shirts.. i dont know why i just find dhoti really arousing (probably the way it hugs the waistline)

i dont look at them any more just focus on deities

what else can u do??

some people get aroused by feet or toes- but we're not all going to start wearing thick socks in summer !!! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

"People are distracted because they want to be distracted"

oh, really? that's all? and the fact we are inside this yantra of a material body, programmed to act in certain ways to the sights and sounds around us, has nothing to do with it?

distractions are there completely independent of us. what is up to us, is how we react to such distractions - all we can (and need to) do is to tolerate and control such disturbances, because as long as we have a material body we will also have distractions.

Guest guest

That may be. But usually, distractions such as these can be overcome, but people make a big deal out of it. Want to know why? It's because they need an excuse for their 'spiritual' failure.

yes, many people tend to blame others for their own failures. yet, some behavioral standards need to be there for sure, and that includes what we should wear in the temple. I certainly find nothing wrong with the traditional ladies attire in our temples - that was quite evident in my posts (I thought...).

My point was that the rule requiring ladies covering their hair is quite unneccessary, that's all. Most of the time devotees in our temples dress properly, but sometimes we do have bare-chested babas or matas in see-through outfits, that quite frankly do not belong on such holy grounds. Does that bother me? not that much personally, but on a social level - it certainly does.

if you read the Vedas you will see that even great sadhus in the past were captivated by tantalizing sights and sounds. we should not think we are better than them when it comes to controlling our mind and senses - the real life tells us we are very fallible.