Rate this topic

I received the following email today from an Indian friend. Please read:

American Eagle has come out with flip-flops with Lord Ganesha's image on

them. I was taught growing up not to put your feet on or towards God, but

now his image is on the sole of somebody's shoes! I don't think Jesus

print toilet paper would go over well in the Christian community so why do

they feel this is acceptable? Anyway, there is a link below with a petition

to have them discontinue the shoes and submit an apology to the Hindu

community. I signed it, and if this bothers you, then you should too.

The first link will take you to a picture of the Flip-Flops, and info.

The second link will take you to the petition page.

Please forward this messgae to anyone you know. Something has to be done.

http://www.hindunet.org/ahad/americaneagle/

http://www.indiapetitions.com/pms/petition.php?p_am=61

Guest guest

hare krishnas send AE protest e-mails.

if they remain silent,

the next lot of shoes will have krishna and ever praabhuada on it.

jai sri prabhupada!

Was it last year? there was a similar protest about some "hindu" icons actually being placed on toilet seats. The company change due to pressure.

Now I'll go to the petition.

Guest guest

They say that Church and State are seperate in American Democracy, but say Burning a Cross is Illegal because it is an insult to the religion of christianity, then they do something so obscene like this, It is so unfair and there is discrimination and a clear bias that could be seen here.

-enlightened

Guest guest

I think we shall stop this, but i don't know how, can you please tell me what do do

I just called the manufacturer and was told that they are pulling the product from all stores and destroying each one. The rep on the phone apologized and said this was done from ignorance and they did not mean to offend anyone.

I suggest everyone call them so they think twice about creating such an item again.

They say that Church and State are seperate in American Democracy, but say Burning a Cross is Illegal because it is an insult to the religion of christianity, then they do something so obscene like this, It is so unfair and there is discrimination and a clear bias that could be seen here.

-enlightened

No you misunderstand. The reason cross nurning is illegal is because it offends the Blacks. The Ku Klux Klan is a racist organization that in the past had some ritual surrounding cross burning which they would do publically to frighten black folks would thy would also sometimes hang.

Not long ago there was the "artist" who had this famous exhibit which he displayed. It was an icon of Christ on the cross which this "artist" had placed in a glass of urine. he named it piss Christ and was allowed to get away with it.

Even now I feel my blood pressure rising and having visions of killing this guy so I better let it go.

All religious people have to put their differences aside sometimes and oppose these atheistic demons strongly. Not to convert them but just to set some boundaries in the public square.

Yeah i was wrong and we need to get these guys to stop making religion look so bad.

The atheism and barbarian thinking is going to the new generation:

Almost all the adolescents today tend to "hate religion" saying it is like "believing in santa clause" and they admire people like m&m which sometimes is rude and obscene...

Guest guest

you can think, ".. though I'm not a Hindu."

that is your freedom.

hindus know better.

there is really no way to prove with evidences that you are not a hindu.

any way, enjoy krishna lila and bhakti.

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

We come from the land of gandhi, don't we? We must learn to tolerate these minor irritants. Everything happens only trhough Krishna's will, so maybe this so-called nasty incident is also the result of Krishna's lila. we must accept whatever happens as god's gift without protesting like little children.

we must accept whatever happens as god's gift without protesting like little children.

If that were so, then Krishna would not have told Arjuna to fight the battle of Kurukshetra. Arjuna could have just tolerated the injustices without protest.

Krishna chastised Arjuna for thinking like this, calling him a fool. He told Arjuna to stand up and fight for dharma, as that was His will.

Negligence of duty is not dharma, as the guest speaker is suggesting.

To learn what is Lord Krishna's will (true dharma) we should turn to the Gita and the Srimad Bhagavatam. We shouldn't accept all the nonsense that goes on in the material world as Lord Krishna's will.

As Paramatma the Lord sanctions all actions according to the living entities karma. This does not mean it is the Lord's personal desire that these activities be done. The Lord's actual desire is for all His children to turn back to Him and become free from the entanglements of birth, death, old age and disease.

Guest guest

Shree vacra tund maha kaya koti surya samah prabha

nirvighnam kurume deva subh karya sah sarvada

Thank you Livingentity for alerting us on this obnoxious act of some ignorant people and yes I have signed the petition.

Why does this always end up in Hindu V Iskcon argument?

Basic tenant of our Dharma is the same. Our worship able Istdev may be different. WE both follow Sanatan /Vedic Dharma. We both love Chanting Holy Name’s wish we stop squabbling amongst ourselves.

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

Krishna asked Arjuna to fight an important battle. He didn't ask him to protest shoe ads, did he? Try to get your priorities right. If someone is insulting you, take it easy. But if someone is threatening you with a knife, then take krishna's advice and act because there is real danger then. Verbal missiles are harmless, just let them pass. In other words, fight the big battle (which is to protect Dharma), but ignore these minor insults.

If someone is insulting you, take it easy.

But when someone insults others, it is your duty to stand up against it. Because Bhishma failed to stand up when Draupadi was being insulted, he had to die on the battlefield of Kurukshetra.

When the holy divinities, the saints and the devotees are insulted, it is everyone's duty to stand up against it.

Guest guest

"But when someone insults others, it is your duty to stand up against it."

Why?

"Because Bhishma failed to stand up when Draupadi was being insulted, he had to die on the battlefield of Kurukshetra."

Bhisma did not protect Draupati, because he did not have the right to. You see, once Yudhistra lost, Draupathi belonged to Duryodhan and he had the right to do ANYTHING with respect to Draupathi. Nobody could've interfered even if Duryodhana had killed Draupathi, or the pandavas, because they lost the game and therefore were at the mercy of Duryodhana. Their lives were in his hand, he held all the aces.

"When the holy divinities, the saints and the devotees are insulted, it is everyone's duty to stand up against it."

Again, why? I thought the gods were here to protect us, but it seems like we have to protect them! Are our gods so powerless that they depend on our help?

"But when someone insults others, it is your duty to stand up against it."

Why?

If one witnesses injustice and fails to act against it, one is guilty of the same injustice.

I suggest you study the dharma shastras if your are interested in learning about this connection.

Bhisma did not protect Draupati, because he did not have the right to.

You do not need to "own" someone to have a right to defend or protect them. That is the thinking of another religion, not Hinduism.

As far as Draupadi's case:

"Yudisthira gambles away Draupadi. Draupadi is dragged out into the public hall despite being half-dressed and menstruating. As she is stripped of her clothes, her sari unrolls endlessly so that she is not exposed. She makes a legal argument that since Yudisthira gambled himself away, he did not have the right to bet her freedom."

It was everyone's duty to stand up and defend her, and all those who remained silent were punished by the laws of God, including the Pandavas and Bhishma. For remaining silent the undefeatable Bhishma, who received the benediction of immortality, was forced to face death.

Guest guest

Any devotee can place these on the alter and offer worship to Ganesha. Just another weird picture frame for Ganesha, after all.