IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Basics

Rate this topic

I have to get away from discussions that have no real relevance to me at this time. Trying to play in deep water when really I can't swim very well, will only get me drowned.

I have a question on Bhagavad-gita 7.16.

O best among the Bharatas, four kinds of pious men begin to render devotional service unto Me- the distressed, the desirer of wealth, the inquisitive, and he who is searching for knowledge of the absolute truth.BG 7.16

Would someone kindly explain to me to difference between the inquisitive and the searcher for knowledge of the absolute truth?

Thank you and Hare Krsna

Guest guest

The inqwuisitive I think are those people who just want the news. Like people reading the paper... Is it interesting? Can I use it?

The person after the absolute truth of course wants the highest knowledge, whatever it may be, and I would think is much more objective in his understanding and approach.

But then how one reacts to the information is really more indicitive of his objectivity.

My two cents in:

Jignasu or Inquistive is the person who does'nt have knowledge but is interested to know about God.

Gyaani or the Seeker of knowledge is the person who has some knowledge. He might even have the knowledge of Brhaman (for example the Kumaras and Sukadev Goswami intially before developing the prema for Krishna) but does'nt know about the Personality of Godhead Sri Krishna!

The enlightened assembly of respectful devotees here may correct me if I am wrong.

Hare Krsna

O Arjuna, foremost of the Bharata dynasty, four classes of people of virtuous deeds adore Me: the afflicted, the seeker of Knowledge, the seeker of wealth and the man of Knowledge. -- BG 7.16

The difference is one is seeking to known the reality of the Lord and the other knows the reality of the Lord and now seeks Liberation.

Shankara's commentary on this verse translated by Gambhirananda --

7.16 Again, O Arjuna, foremost of the Bharata dynasty, caturvidhah, four classes; of janah, people; who are eminent among human beings and are pious in actions, and are sukrtinah, of virtuous deeds; bhajante, adore; mam, Me; artah, the afflicted-one who is overcome by sorrow, who is in distress, ['One who, being in distress and seeking to be saved from it, takes refuge (in Me).'] being over-whelmed by thieves, tigers, disease, etc.; jijnasuh, the seeker of Knowledge, who wants to know the reality of the Lord; artharthi, the seeker of wealth; and jnani, the man of Knowledge, [i.e. one who, already having intellectual knowledge, aspires for Liberation.] who knows the reality of Visnu.

Cheers