IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vsdprasad

Pickle question...

Rate this topic

Do pickles come under tamasic food? - Because they are too much salty. Indians esp south Indians are very fond of Pickles and too much salt is added to avoid them from getting spoiled over long periods of time. Are they living in the mode of ignorance??

-Prasad.

I wonder though if their living in such hot climate should be figured in to the equation? In the south they may need more salt. Tamasic for myself in a coll climate maybe different for them. I dunno.

Pickle doesn't particularly spice up my life.

Fruit, veggies, pasta or rice, beans, chapati or tortilla suffice.

But if pickle's available, offered.. well then, Variety's Life Spice.

Too much pickle would certainly indicate too much rajas.

Too much of anything is not good.

I had heard that about the digestive qualities of pickle also and that a little with each meal is a good thing. Once again, am I just rationalizing?

I also heard that kerela is very good to have for digestion and also good for diabetics?

Eating it alone may be tamasic. Eating it with rice, it may be like putting salt on your rice.

Everything needs to be eaten in moderation. I know many people who eat pickle plain, and they can eat tons of it. That isn't a very good practice. They usually complain about their ulcer afterwards.

Today I had potato and bitter melon. I just ate it because its supposed to be a good blood purifier. I prefered fry.

My friend made this pickle with cauliflowers, carrots, chillies,etc, a killer, people loved it so much. I can handle only a little with aloo paratha and yoghurt...oh,oh, the puss. Trying to be good, today I got soya milk, quite tasty. I had rasamalai too with rabri on top. What to do with all those milk products??? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

atma have you tried the soya yoghurts that are coming out? They have a long way to go.Pus free but taste free as well. Still ok if fruit and stuff is mixed in,but plain...? Maybe next year.

Everything is contaminated in this age. I wish I could just get my energy straight from the sunlight but I gave that fantasy up some time ago. I actually thought and tried to work into a breatharian lifestyle at one point. Turns out I couldn't maintain a complete fruitarian regimen for very long before the potato chip craving took over.

Fantasies come, fantasies go

conceptualizing-easy

actualizing-hard

Ick - the soy yoghurts I tried were awful!! I like soy milk a lot and was disappointed with the yoghurt. I tried some soy cheese also and was not pleased with that either. Maybe it was just the brand I tried but it tasted like chewy water.

Soy cheese is ok to me. nothing to write home about. Nothing like the real thing. Also too expensive for what it is. I sometimes will break it up and toss it in salads.

But things are getting better. I remember a time when you could not buy soy milk in any store including health food stores and no tofu either except in your local Chinatown.

Oh life is hard when we are so far ahead of the curve. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

I make kefir from soyamilk. The culture lasts indefinitely, unlike yogurt, but must be used regularly. Much easier than yogurt as it can be done at room temperature or slightly warmer -- not so critical. It can be strained to produce a kind of cheese, about the same texture as cream cheese. Apparently there are many health benefits to eating it.