IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Is sugar vegan?

Rate this topic

Some sugar is filtered through charcoal made from cow bones. You may not want to offer that type. Here is a list of co.s that are ok as well as the ones that are not.

------------- Articles and Information

The Great Sugar Debate: Is it vegan?

I don't know how many times I've had this conversation with people. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the subject. Most vegans I've come into contact with know there is something non-vegan about sugar, but not everyone knows what that is. So we went to PETA and asked them. Here's what they told us...

Bone char, made from the bones of cows, is at times used to whiten sugar. Some sugar companies use it in filters to decolorize their sugar. Other types of filters involve granular carbon or an ion exchange system rather than bone char.

The following sugar companies DO NOT use bone-char filters:

Florida Crystals Refinery

P.O. Box 86

South Bay, FL 33493

407-996-9072

Labels: Florida Crystals

Refined Sugars Incorporated

One Federal St.

Yonkers, NY 10702

914-963-2400

Labels: Jack Frost, Country Cane, 4# Flow-Sweet

Pillsbury

Makes powdered brown sugar

Supreme Sugar Company (subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland)

P.O. Box 56009

New Orleans, LA 70156

504-831-0901

Labels: Supreme, Southern Bell, Rouse's Markets

The following sugar companies DO use bone-char filters:

Domino

1114 Ave. of the Americas

25th Fl.

New York, NY 10036

212-789-9700

Savannah Foods

P.O. Box 335

Savannah, GA 31402

912-234-1261

California & Hawaiian Sugar Company (with the exception of its Washed Raw Sugar)

830 Loring Ave.

Crockett, CA 94525-1104

510-787-2121

Supermarket brands of sugar (e.g., Giant, Townhouse, etc.) buy their sugar from several different refineries, so there is no way of knowing whether it is vegan at any given time.

Brown sugar is generally made by adding molasses to refined sugar, so sugar companies that use bone char in the production of their regular sugar will also use it in the production of their brown sugar. Confectioner's sugar (refined sugar mixed with cornstarch) made by such companies also involves the use of bone char. Fructose may, but does not typically involve a bone-char filter.

If you want to avoid all refined sugars, we recommend alternatives such as Sucanat and turbinado sugar. Neither of these sweeteners are ever filtered with bone char. Additionally, beet sugar--though normally refined--never involves the use of bone char.

So there you have it. The bottom line is you need to know where your sugar is coming from. Or use alternatives. Does this put the question to rest finally? I hope so.

Guest guest

My God I didn't know that before.Thanks to the so called modern life.Physic impressions of pain and suffering are absorbed into body through sugar.No wonder there is no peace,outside and inside.

Joy

It seems in kali-yug nothing is left free from contamination. There are some brands that don't use this method.

All we have is the Name Joy. These things are really all good news in the sense that it will help motivate us more to love Krsna. He certainly doesn't want us to inhabit this pig stye. All we can do is our best to avoid as much filth as possible, tolerate what we can't, and chant chant and induce others to chant.

Guest guest

Is it Misri?

switcheroo.com/Sweeten.html

Under Maltose,look for "Misri."

They are made from sugarcane juice.

Am I right Jndas Prabuji?

Joy

sorry Jahnava, I can't find out how rock candy is produced. Turns out its a chinese sugar also called yellow sugar.

Joy castor or caster sugar is white sugar that is super fine so it disolves faster.This is apparently good for making some sweet preps.

Yes, thats what I was talking about. I'm not sure what they call it in the west. I was refering to both misri and that Chinese rock sugar. Both of these are often given out as prasadam in many temples.

I am curious if sugars in India also use these same bleaching techniques.

Guest guest

I have sent many mails to sugar factories in India asking them about use of Bonechar in Sugar factory..still no reply from any one...so I doubt if there is any Vegan Sugar in India...still wonder...Govt. should make different sign for Vegan products in India also. I m 100% Vegan in India...my chat id is let_me_view