IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Manni

using japamalas

Rate this topic

I do japa quite regularly and once gave it to a friend to borrow. I then heard that you shouldn't share it with anyone because of some esoteric reason, which i did not really have the sense to listen to. Is it true that you shouldn't share your japamala with someone?

The japa mala.

One who has fixed determination to chant a certain number of Holy Names should use japa beads, described as follows—

A rosary of beads made of tulasi wood used for chanting japa brings about the desired result, no matter what one seeks. The rosary should have the shape of a cow’s tail or a serpent (i.e. bigger beads at one end, smaller ones at the other). One should never touch the beads with the forefinger, nor shake or swing them while chanting. One should finger each bead between the thumb and the middle section (i.e., not the tip) of another finger as one chants. One should never touch the japa mala with one’s left hand, nor drop it. An intelligent person, whether desiring sense enjoyment, liberation or the mystic power of attraction, should use the middle finger to chant on his beads. (Hari-bhakti-viläsa 17.112, 99, 123-124)

(33)

Rules for chanting from the Hari Bhakti Vilasa

Quoted from Mantrarnava—In order to perfect one’s chanting of japa, one needs to cultivate the following qualities: control of the mind, internal and external purity, silence, contemplation of the mantra’s meaning, patience and steadfastness. (Hari-bhakti-viläsa 17.129)

Comment : Manah-saMharaNa means repeatedly bringing the mind back when it wanders to the sense objects. This is purity. Silence means to contemplate the meaning of the mantra. Avyagratva means that one should not rush one’s chanting in order to finish the fixed number of rounds. Anirveda means that one should not lose hope when one does not attain the expected results as quickly as expected.

Bhaktivinode Thakur—

While chanting japa, remember Krishna’s name with affectionate respect; concentrate the mind on the chanting alone; be pure in mind and avoid speaking uselessly; contemplate the mantra’s meaning and remain patient.

========

Treat your japa beads like your personal deity. Don't let them touch the floor; don't take them in the bathroom. You should not even really let anyone SEE your beads (that's why people keep them in a bag), much less let anyone else use them. Every time you chant on your beads, you are investing spiritual energy into them. They are like a bank account of your devotion, all those Holy Names are adding up inside your beads. Your relationship with the Holy Names is being mediated through your mala. So you don't really want anyone else's vibes getting mixed up in there.

Guest guest

even though it is not obvious to our mundane senses, there is a particular mood in which each jiva relates to krishna. as a result of sadhana, the accessories reflect that bhava. when we exchange the japa malas, the mood changes. this is not good. so it is better not to exchagne the japa mala.

there may be some injunction in hari bhakti vilas etc. about it.

thanks i understand slightly better now... but i thought they were kept in a bag to refrain you from seeing how many beads you have left in the round - i kind of accessory to help you meditate on God rather than how long it will take?

Guest guest

First thing you must be understanding is that Japamala is not to be USED. Are you getting me?

Guest guest

If you can be changing word "use" to word "worship" your original question will not be arising. See?

1) "Can another be using my Japamala?"

answer: Yes they can use but it is useless.

Now

2) "Can another worship with my Japamala?"

answer: NO.

See?

Right word. Automatic answer.

Asking the right question is being often most important predicate for the good answer. Got me?

"To understand one's actual position as the eternal servitor of Krsna, without falsely claiming this material body to be oneself and without falsely claiming proprietorship over anything in the world, is the perfect stage of Krsna consciousness. One who is situated in this perfect stage knows that because Krsna is the proprietor of everything, therefore everything must be used for the satisfaction of Krsna." (From purport to Bhagavad-gita As It Is 2.71 by His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Japa malas should be used for the satisfaction of Krsna by chanting His holy names. This is quite a simple and straightforward proposal. As Srila Prabhupada might say: "What is the difficulty?"

Another answer is that if you give your mala to someone else, it is in effect a kind of initiation. Of course you can give your mala to someone else to worship with, that is a great kindness, but you should not take it back afterward.

Guest guest

Yes we can be going round and round with 108 answers. The thing is if you worship with Japamala Japamala will guide you. Try it.

Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

Guest guest

Please mention not. We are just the latest in different brands of the washing machines simply competeing for your attentions. We have great spin but we will never be able to make the WATER.

Guest guest

It is also recommended that at any given sitting, one should complete, 1, 3, 6, 13 rounds of this Japamala. It is preferably said that, at least one japamala should be completed before taking any food. But anyway, the Namasmarana would be effective even otherwise!

Guest guest

Is it prohibited to chant 2 rounds in one sitting??

why 1,3,6,13??. Normally they see to it that the number is divisible by 108.