IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

We want to be religious?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

jive daya name ruci vaishnava sevana

iha chara dharma nahi suna sanatana

"Hear, Sanatana! Kindness to all living beings, taste for the holy name and service to the vaishnavas - apart from these there is no other religion."

Guest guest

I've found this bengali verse and translation in one book about Vamsidas Babaji Maharaj by Bhakti Vikasa Swami.

I guess this is from Caitanya Caritamrta - Instructions of Lord Caitanya to Sanatana Goswami. Don't have opportunity to check myself.

Guest guest

Because it did sound like Mahaprabu instructing Sanatana Gosvani, and sounded like Chaitanya-charitamrita, I searched Cc. but was unable to find this verse. Doe anyone else know where this might be found? Because I work in an academic envoironment, it's hard for me to cite a verse whose source I don't know.

This is a verse that has no source. It is one that's been getting tossed around the Vaishnava world for centuries. About 20 years ago I searched through everything to find it, but never did.

Bhaktivinoda has the following--

kRSNera saMsAra kara chAri anAcAra

jIve dayA kRSNa nAma sarva dharma sAra

No Vaishnava sevana in there, but I guess you could consider that a part of Krishner samsar.

Guest guest

Thank you all for sharing this information regarding this verse. If you know other verses through the vaisnava literature which in short words describe the essence of all success in life, please share. It is nice to have a potent formula for achieving perfection in life.

For example the formula of peace, that HDG A.C. Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada, the founder-acarya of ISKCON, extracts from Bhagavad gita 5.29:

bhoktaram yajna tapasam

sarva-loka maheshvaram

suhridam sarva bhutanam

jnatva mam shantim ricchati

Lord Krishna says:

" A person in full consciousness of Me, who knows Me as the only enjoyer of all the sacrifices and penances; the supreme master over all the planets and the demigods living there; and as the well-wishing friend of all living beings, he attains releif from the pangs of the material existence."