IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

All Glories to Srila Prabhupada's "small" books!

Rate this topic

In addition to his longer works, His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada wrote numerous "small" books These books include:Elevation to Krsna Consciousness, On the Way to Krsna, Beyond Birth and Death, Easy Journey to Other Planets, etc. These books are actually not small, for the information within them is able to inspire someone to begin the journey back home, back to Godhead.One remarkable thing I have noticed about some of this books is that I can never get tired of reading them.Virtually every time I open a book like Elevation to Krsna Consciousness or On the Way to Krsna, I read with fresh interest, which is completely different to some of the stuff I have to read in the course of my academic studies --- stuff that progressively bores me with every reading.

Srila Prabhupada once said that his books are "recorded chanting" and I can see why.If even his "small" books are so potent, one can imagine the potency of his "medium" and "big" books. IMHO, "small", "medium" and "big" are material qualities appropriate only for superfically classifiying Srila Prabhupada's books. Everyone of his books is simply glorious.

The "small" books are great for giving to people who have no previous knowledge of Krsna Consciousness and they provide easy-to-understand but comprehensive over-views of the Krsna Consciousness philosophy. All followers of Srila Prabhupada should help to disseminate these books.

I agree with you Leyh 100%. The small books I think can actually distribute more than the big books. I've found myself at times intimidated from reading some of the big books, but find the small paper back ones very "unthreatening". Now imagine someone who knows nothing about the tradition. A small book, you can just open them, and can read the entire thing in a sitting. If the goal is to get people to read, I think the small books are really ideal. The Sri Isopanishad, The Nectar of Instruction, Life Comes From Life, or Chant and Be Happy are fantastic small doses.