IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shvu

Duty comes foremost...

Rate this topic

The following is a story from the Mahaabhaaratha, Vanaparva, known as Dharmavyaada Geetha.

/////////////////////////////

Kousika, a brahmin had studied all the Vedas and was a righteous person. But he had one failing; he neglected his duties towards his aged parents. He left home, went to a forest and performed penance for a number of years and acquired great spiritual powers. Once, while sitting under the shade of a tree, a bird dropped its filth on him. Kousika stared angrily at the bird and the bird was at once reduced to ashes. Kousika grew proud of his spiritual powers.

Once, he reached a house and begged for his food as brahmanas were expected to live on alms. The lady of the house was a little busy and asked him to wait. Just then, her husband returned home, hungry. She first attended to her husband and in the process, she forgot Kousika. When she remembered him, she apologized and offered the usual courtesies. Kousika stared at her angrily as he did to the crane. The lady remarked "Don't think I am a crane. Your anger can do no harm to me since I was engaged in serving my husband as a dutiful wife ought to".

Kousika was surprised that she knew the fate of the crane and begged to be excused. She advised him on the Dharma of a wife and asked him to learn further from one Dharmavyaada who was living in Mithila. Kousika immediately went to Mithila where he saw Dharmavyaada, who was a butcher, selling meat. On seeing Kousika, Dharmavyaada came running to welcome Kousika and told him how he was aware of the crane incident and the lady's directions to come to him for advice. This second revelation astonished Kousika further, since there was no way for them to have communicated to each other. Kousika pleaded with Dharmavyaada to enlighten him.

Dharmavyaada advised him on several matters including Aachara, Anushtana, Ahimsa, way to salvation, Control of senses, and above all the value of parents and the services to be rendered to them as a sine qua non for being fit to perform other duties. Kousika realized his folly in neglecting his parents, returned home, and served them loyally.

/////////////////////////////

Cheers

Duty is ultimately to develop attachment for the Lord's instructions, otherwise it is a pointless endeavour:

dharmah svanusthitah pumsam

vishvaksena-kathasu yah

notpadayed yadi ratim

shrama eva hi kevalam

"The occupational activities a man performs according to his own position are only so much useless labor if they do not provoke attraction for the message of the Personality of Godhead."

The Bhagavatam tells us that those who engage in devotion to Sri Hari are freed from all mundane duties and obligations:

devarshi-bhutapta-nrinam pitrinam

na kinkaro nayam rini ca rajan

sarvatmana yah sharanam sharanyam

gato mukundam parihritya kartam

"Anyone who has taken shelter of the lotus feet of Mukunda, the giver of liberation, giving up all kinds of obligation, and has taken to the path in all seriousness, owes neither duties nor obligations to the demigods, sages, general living entities, family members, humankind or forefathers." (Srimad Bhagavatam 11.5.41)

The great saint Sri Madhavendra Puri has also stated the same thing:

sandhya-vandana bhadram astu bhavato bhoh snana tubhyam namo

bho devah pitarash ca tarpana-vidhau naham kshamah kshamyatam

yatra kvapi nisadya yadava-kulottamasya kamsa-dvishah

smaram smaram agham harami tad alam manye kim anyena me

"O my evening prayer, all good unto you. O my morning bath, I bid you good-bye. O demigods and forefathers, please excuse me. I am unable to perform any more offerings for your pleasure. Now I have decided to free myself from all reactions to sins simply by remembering anywhere and everywhere the great descendant of Yadu and the great enemy of Kamsa [Lord Krishna]. I think that this is sufficient for me. So what is the use of further endeavors?"

mugdham mam nigadantu niti-nipuna bhrantam muhur vaidikah

mandam bandhava-sancaya jada-dhiyam muktadarah sodarah

unmattam dhanino viveka-caturah kamam maha-dambhikam

moktum na kshamate manag api mano govinda-pada-spriham

"Let the sharp moralist accuse me of being illusioned; I do not mind. Experts in Vedic activities may slander me as being misled, friends and relatives may call me frustrated, my brothers may call me a fool, the wealthy mammonites may point me out as mad, and the learned philosophers may assert that I am much too proud; still my mind does not budge an inch from the determination to serve the lotus feet of Govinda, though I be unable to do it."