IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ethos

Spiritual Fiction

Rate this topic

Recently, there was a thread "karma @ the root..." about the soul's original fall into the material world. It made me think of this thread I never acted on. Then again, I came across a related topic under Dialectic Spiritualism 2: "Five Inherent Ideas" (see idea 3) . So, again, I am reminded to share this account with you. If there is such a thing as "spiritual fiction," this is it.

This story came to me by way of inquiring into the eternal nature of spiritual bodies and what happens to them when we come to the material world. It is an "unauthorized" anecdote and thus I call it fiction here. Still, it is wholy consistent with Vaisnava philosophy and knowledge. It may very will be true! This anecdote certainly made an impression with me. I hope you enjoy it. It is short and sweet. Like any good story, it's easy to visually personalize it to your tastes. (Forgive me for preaching a little bit below, but it's useful to explain the story).

Some living entities in the spiritual world – such as ourselves – are known to promote themselves in the material world. The experience may center around something like this.

We all know the term "bhoga" which is basically something not offered to Krsna. So, in this example a living entity is offering a goblet of nectar to the Lord in an assembly of his associates in the spiritual world. Lets say this attendant perceives the Lord as the supreme enjoyer of so many facilities and the cenosure of all eyes. And for a moment, he happens to think that he really wants to enjoy the goblet contents for himself. In this subtle, but concrete way--without grossly thinking about directly replacing Krsna--one can effectively put oneself--his needs or desires-- before the supreme being. Philosophically, it is but a small leap from this point to want Krsna's position.

Spiritual life means favorable service to the Lord embued with love (I did say love, Theist). And any mentality that ultimately translates into a different program consitutes one as a dissedent thief. Having the mentality of a criminal, we are immediately put into the prison of the material world, where we can fantasize to our heart's content. But life without Krsna is just that . . . life without Krsna--it comes with all the pitfalls of material existence.

Here we go through endless cycles of reincarnation on the great wheel of samsara, sometimes up, sometimes down; but basically everyone gets the same amount of thrills. We stay here until our mentality is eventually reformed to accept the guidance and superiority of the Lord––to irrevocably realize what the center and purpose of our existence is––until our service is again voluntarily established. At that time we can return to our eternal position in the spiritual sky.

Now in this example, having finally returned, the living entity just keep extending his hand to offer the goblet to the Lord! It is as if he never left!

Nothing "happens" to our spiritual bodies as we fall to the material platform--we are still there performing our duties without a noticeable disruption in our spiritual pastimes as far as most observers are concerned. Our whole material experience involving time and our free will is just a personal thing between the soul and God.

An Interesting pastime supporting these ideas are given in Bhagavatam 12.9 by Srila Prabhupada: Markandeya Rsi Sees the Illusory Potency of the Lord.