IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Questions on the Origin of the Soul

Rate this topic

Dear Sri ...,

Hare Krishna. Thank you for writing.

I read that we are here (in the material world) because we desired to to enjoy independent of the Lord. Who gives us the desire to enjoy independently of Lord Krishna and why ? It is confirmed in vedas that without Krishna's will nothing will happen. At the same time, it is said that all the misery we are experiencing is due to our own desires. What is the basic source of these desires? Is it possible to desire or execute our desires without Lord Krishna's will?

Nothing can happen without the will of Lord Krishna. His will is the sanction for us to do as we desire. Even to forget the Lord it requires Krishna's will to empower us. Krishna says:

sarvasya caham hridi sannivishto

mattah smritir jnanam apohanam ca

"I am situated in the hearts of all living entities, and from Me comes knowledge, remembrance and forgetfulness."

Our forgetfulness (apohanam) of the Lord is given by Lord Krishna Himself. Even to reject Him we require His sanction and mercy. But why does He will for us to forget Him? It is because we ourselves have desired it. The Lord has given us freewill, or an independent will from His own, but to accomplish it requires the will of the Lord. That we have an independent will, or a freedom of choice, is itself the will of the Lord.

Are we eternal entities, originally from the the spiritual world; or is it that Krishna created us?

There is no creation of the living entity. We are eternal entities, separated expansions of the Lord. From the angle of the Lord, He is everything, including us. From the angle of the separated expansion we are different from the Lord. Thus there is oneness and difference based on the angle of vision of the perceiver.

Lord Krishna explains the eternality of the soul as follows in the Gita:

na jayate mriyate va kadacin

nayam bhutva bhavita va na bhuyah

ajo nityah shashvato 'yam purano

na hanyate hanyamane sharire

"For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain."

This same verse is also found in the Katha upanishad. There it is further elaborated as follows:

nityo nityanam cetanash cetananam

eko bahunam yo vidadhati kaman

"Among all the eternal entities, there is one supreme eternal entity. Among all the conscious beings, there is one supreme conscious being. That one, the supreme, is fulfilling the desires of everyone."

The supreme among the many is described in great detail in the Vedanta-sutras. Therein it is stated:

janmady asya yathah

"The Supreme is He from whom everything emanates."

As the foundation of everything, Brahman is considered the source of all, though there is no limiting time to produce a point of creation. Source, according to the Upanishads, refers to the shelter or controller of everything. Krishna, being the controllor and shelter of everything is the source of everything:

aham sarvasya prabhavo

mattah sarvam pravartate

"I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me."

mattah parataram nanyat

kincid asti dhananjaya

mayi sarvam idam protam

sutre mani-gana iva

"There is no truth superior to Me. Everything rests upon Me, as pearls are strung on a thread."

It is for this reason that the Srimad Bhagavatam declares Krishna to be the "ashraya" or supreme shelter of everything.

Regarding wars, if it is the desire of a person to kill another, how does

Lord Krishna sanction it in the first place and then calculate his karma for his future sufferings?

Lord Krishna sanctions activities based on one's desire and one's karma. For example, if I desire to walk, if it is in line with my prarabda karma, it will happen. But if, due to prarabda karma, I have no legs, then even if I desire to walk, it will not happen.

Each of us is receiving the results of our previous activities. At the same time we have the freedom to create new reactions through use or misuse of our free will in the present. When someone dies in a war, it is due to his fructified karmas, both from the past and from the present life. But the person who is killing, he is utilizing his free will and creating a fresh karmic reaction, which he will suffer in his next life. Krishna's role as paramatma is as a witness and a sanctioner. He witnesses our actions so that we will be held accountable through karmic reactions, and he sanctions our activities based on our own desires and prarabda karma. He does not interfere in our desires, nor in the desires of other living entities. Why does he sanction our actions? Because the individual souls have no potency to move the material nature:

prakriteh kriyamanani

gunaih karmani sarvashah

ahankara-vimudhatma

kartaham iti manyate

"The spirit soul bewildered by the influence of false ego thinks himself the doer of activities that are in actuality carried out by the three modes of material nature."

In reality we are not the cause of action. We are the cause of our own desires, and based on those desires the Lord sanctions the nature to cause activity.

From the absolute perspective our play within the modes of nature is nothing but an illusion. The Lord knows that the soul is eternal and that the soul does not die. The Lord is not subject to illusion, and thus he can see each of us perfectly as we are. He knows each of us personally, what we were doing with him in the spiritual world, what we have done in the millions of lives in the material world, and what we are doing at present. The purpose of the material world is to educate the living entities, and that is the Lord's ultimate desire. Sometimes a small child thinks his parents are punishing him by making him go to school, study and waste his time in education. In reality it is in the child's self-interest to be educated, though it is not possible for him to understand this. The child thinks it would be better if he could be playing outside with no limit nor restrictions.

The conditioned living entities are also ignorant children of the Lord. We wonder why there are so many limitations and restrictions put on our play, such as birth, death, old age and disease. We think it would be better if we were allowed to play undisturbed and with no restrictions. We fail to understand that these limitations imposed on us by the Lord are actually in our own self interest. They help us in our process of spiritual education.

Sometimes the child thinks it would be better if everyone automatically passed the exams regardless of the scores they received on the test. They cannot understand the purpose of passing some and failing others. They think it is to punish those who failed, but in reality it is to help those who failed. In a similar way the child like conditioned souls cannot understand the workings of the Lord. Why are we given freedom to choose? Why are we then punished for the misuse of our freewill? In reality we are not being punished, but we are being blessed. It is the Lord's mercy on us to help us educate ourselves in spiritual knowledge.

Because we cannot see how this process of education spans many millions of lives, therefore we cannot understand the ultimate benefit everything brings. By failing the exam we are also learning a lesson, and that lesson will push us forward towards realization in a gradual manner.

I hope this has answered your questions. Please feel free to write for further clarification.

Yours in service,

Jahnava Nitai Das,

Bhaktivedanta Ashram

http://www.foodrelief.org