IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Cloned Beef

Rate this topic

A BIG, BIG, BIG THUMBS DOWN ON THIS ONE!!!!!

We are perfecting the art of killing.

Scientists Clone Calf From Dead Cow

Scientists in Georgia Clone Calf From Slaughtered Cow, Predict Great Future for Beef

The Associated Press

A T L A N T A, April 25 — Savoring a juicy, high-quality steak? Maybe someday you'll be able to order up a duplicate of the best piece of beef you've ever eaten.

Scientists at the University of Georgia have produced the first calf cloned from cells of a slaughtered cow, a breakthrough they say will allow cattle producers to select and clone the choicest beef from their stock.

The researchers on Thursday introduced K.C., a healthy female Angus-Hereford cross delivered earlier this week. Her genetic material was extracted from the kidney region of a cow two days after it was killed.

Until now, calves had only been cloned from live adult cows before the adults were slaughtered and their meat graded. But you can't tell how good a steak will taste until you kill the animal.

The Georgia researchers hope their work will one day allow cattle producers to take the best beef from their lines, extract cells from those carcasses and use it to stock their herds.

"There are a lot of animals that get processed every day, and there's a select few that are of the highest quality," lead researcher Steven Stice said. "That's what we want."

The research was conducted in laboratories at the university in Athens, in conjunction with scientists from ProLinia Inc., an Athens-based biotechnology company.

It will take more study and approval from the federal government before the technology could be used for beef for mass consumption. But the research is a critical step, outside experts said.

"It sounds like a good idea to me," said Randall Prather, a University of Missouri cloning expert. "You had 10,000 animals that went through, and you selected the best one."

He cautioned that it would be difficult to guarantee that the quality of the cloned cow would be exactly the same as that of its genetic parent. Differences in feed quality and other environmental factors could cause variations, he said.

Scientists say the procedure has implications beyond just producing a better burger.

Eventually, beef producers could clone from meat that had been tested for low susceptibility to diseases unique to animals such as Mad Cow disease, which destroys the brains of cattle.

The Georgia scientists say it is only the second time cells from a dead mammal have been used for successful cloning, and the first time in the United States.

Last October, European scientists reported that they had recovered cells from two sheep that had been dead for 18 to 24 hours and used them to produce a healthy clone.

Harvesting Gauracandra, they call it harvesting.They are perfecting the art of harvesting, that's all.

They already can patent living organisms in the form of bacteria thanks to our morons in the Supreme Court.Now they will just work their way up the biological chain until they have patents on some'thing' close to humans.But there will be a certain percentage of animal genes in the 'product' so they can still claim that its not human and establish ownership.Slavemasters of the 22 century.

This world is slipping fast deeper and deeper into the nether regions of hell.

They are working on it but like you said this societies(worlds) priorities lay in less noble fields, to put it mildly.

Sorry to here of your situation.I wish you well JRdd.

_

Stem Cells Give Rise to Functioning Liver Cells

PITTSBURGH · June 1, 1999 · by TNN Medical Reporter Virginia Baskerville

A new finding that bone marrow-derived cells give rise to fully functional liver cells suggests that these cells eventually could be used to repair or replace injured or diseased livers, reducing the need for transplantation.

A team at the University of Pittsburgh led by Bryon Peterson, PhD, reported on May 14 in Science that the bone marrow-derived stem cells provide a lineage for cells making up solid organs (1999;284:1168-1170). The finding even gives hope that organs may someday be grown without using human embryonic stem cells—cells that have been the subject of controversy since they were isolated last year, because they must be derived from human embryos.

"At a theoretical level, the findings disrupt the scientific dogma that plastic fetal cells are needed to generate the differentiated cells of adult organs," the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center said in a statement.

In experiments in which the investigators depleted the bone marrow of female rats and replaced it with bone marrow from male rats, bone marrow-derived cells eventually became fully functional liver cells, probably through an intermediate oval cell. "The next step is finding the bone marrow stem cell giving rise to the oval cell or discovering the signal that the liver broadcasts to recruit such cells to the scene of injury." Dr. Peterson said.

Although previous scientific reports have indicated that bone marrow cells give rise to mesenchymal cells and endothelial cells, this report is the first to indicate that bone marrow cells give rise to epithelial cells, which can develop into solid organs.

For Your Information:

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center press release

www.upmc.edu/NewsBureau/stemcells.htm

Jrdd ji,

How is the treatment going on? You are very unwell. You have written that the situation might become worse? Don't your doctors have some way to cure you before the situation becomes worse?

Thanks for the link and wishes. Well, as far as I understand it a transplant is all I can get offered at this stage now, liver being one sixth its normal size, disease working on kiling it off, but I am trying whatever I can to keep going, naturally: sunshine, fresh air, laughter, good water, and some herbal help. Then it is up to Krsna. It is okay to be in this situation. I just don't like it much when I get tired. I'm pretty much a sissy about being in this world.

Um...I'm trying to think how to tie this back to the beef cloning topic. Sorry Gauracandra!

Posted Image JR

Oh you are there too! Yes, and they will have even more excuses to make like the animal has no soul.

I do wonder what the position of the soul is though? Like what kind of karma would cause such a "birth".

This article made me feel actually physically nauseated. It is nightmarish.

What gets me is they have all this technology, how come they don't clone livers for transplantation? I have learned that the average wait for a liver is a year, and many die during that wait. I have also just learned that I am not up for evaluation for a transplant for at least another two months, due to the epidemic numbers of end stage liver disease sufferers, and so I can not even start to be on a list until after that time. I am in an emergency state that could send me into a coma at any time, without notice, and there is nothing that can be done to quicken things. This is just another example of our society's priorities. Money over health, life, and happiness for the people. Seems to me they could easily reproduce livers. Instead, they want to feed their greedy pockets by creating animals for slaughter and consumption.

Originally posted by JRdd:

I do wonder what the position of the soul is though? Like what kind of karma would cause such a "birth".

Yeah, I wondered about that also.Maybe like-minded scientists and their assistants from some parallel planet,but just a little farther down this dark road, getting their just reward.

Its just all too strange.

Won't they be having/producing humans at some point in kali-yug as a food source?

I can hear it now,"Tastes like chicken..."

I wonder if anyone knows when/where Srila Prabhupada said that at the end of Kaliyuga would be raising children specifically as a food source. In the same breath, I understood him to say that music would sound like chainsaws. Even that short time ago, that was unimaginable. But now...

Here is one quote from Conversations, May 9. 1973 LA

Krsna-Kanti: As the Kali-yuga advances, the human beings will eat their children too. Srila Prabhupäda?

Prabhupada: Yes, yes. Just like in the last war, they ate stool, their own stool, out of hunger. So when there will be no foodstuff, they will kill their own children. Already they are killing, abortion. Not only abortion, children grows... By surgical instrument, they kill and they take out the child... They are already killing.

----

I have already heard music that sounds like chainsaws.Yooow!!

Cloned beef with cabbage.

In this age, nothing surprises me. I had a cauliflower that would not get soft when cooked, and I composted it. Problem is, its in my garden now, still firm, still white, will not break down. Hmmmm.

Maybe we should give all the new cloned huimans cloned beef asnd genetically altered veggies, then we wouldnt get stuck with bright red juicy tomatoes with no taste whatsoever.

In my pot growin days, we did scientific stuff, and we ended up with sticky bud, very tasty, but one would only be high while actually smoking, when the reefa wernt out, so did the high.

Too much science!!!!!!!

mudmon

I wonder if anyone knows when/where Srila Prabhupada said that at the end of Kaliyuga would be raising children specifically as a food source. In the same breath, I understood him to say that music would sound like chainsaws. Even that short time ago, that was unimaginable. But now...

Anivash prabhu, you are so right. And I am doing all I can, believe me. The will to live is natural because the soul is eternal, and this will carries into the embodied state of being, as a drive to survive the body's deterioration. I only meant that we can only do so much, and the rest is up to Krsna. And that gives me comfort in my endeavors to keep this strange machine going. We act, but give up attachment to the results.

Thanks so much, Jayaradhe