IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

A remembrance of Jayalalitha

Rate this topic

Since the topic of Jayalalitha having Karunanidhi has come up, I just remembered a few years back when Jayalalitha (the present chief minister of Tamil Nadu) was passing through Pollachi.

One of the cars in her motorcade was broadcasting messages on their loudspeakers to the people lining the roads to greet her. She wasn't actually visiting the city of Pollachi, just driving by on the national highway to Coimbatore. Her people broadcasting on the loud speakers were saying:

"Those who want to do puja to amma [jayallalitha] make a queue on the right, those who want to give her gifts, make a queue on the left, those who want to offer namaskaram to her feet line up by the arche..."

This is from my memory, so the exact wording may be slightly different. But it is unfortunate that they project her as a god to be worshipped. Posters of her designate her as adhi-mata, or adhi-parasakti amma, or some nonsense like that. Its been awhile since I've seen her posters, so I forget the exact wording.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 07-02-2001).]

I know nothing about Indian politics, but those pictures you put up of an elderly indian politician being roughed up were disgusting. I'm sure, like you said, he was pocketing money, but all of them are like that. It sounds like this was simply political revenge to humiliate him. So whoever this Jayalalitha is, she better watch out, because what goes around comes around. Next time the other political party is in office, she better quickly high tail it out of Tamil Nadu because she too will have her door kicked down and dragged out onto the street.

Gauracandra

She has come out with a new video tape that shows the arrest in a different way. The police are extremely polite, K is knocked dowm by one of his own people and the police help him up.

Which video is the true one? This is the hot topic right now. They are calling it the video war.

[rediff.com]

Cheers

Rajini the tamil movie superstar and Jayalalita [enemies] reside in the same street. When Jaya was due to travel in a certain route, the whole route would be blocked to other traffic for sometime before her travel.

One such time, Rajini was also stopped this way. Rajini casually got out of his car and stood outside his car for sometime. His fans thronged the area and crowded the place. Consequently when Jaya came along she herself could not get through.

Since then, or maybe from even before, the two have been lashing out at each other whenever possible.

Cheers

Now why don't we get this kind of politics in the U.S. Posted Image They say the U.S. voter is apathetic, well one way to get a higher turn out would be to turn politics into WWF style wrestling. Think about it. When George W. Bush and Al Gore had Florida up in the air, the easiest way to settle it would be to have a 30 ft caged tag team grudge match. In one corner George Bush and Dick Cheney, in the other Al Gore and Joe Lieberman. I think Bush could take Gore, but Cheney may very well have a heart attack going up against Lieberman. Just have a good ole Raw is War, WWF style smack down. Guarantee the audience will tune into those "debates". They could even come out with cool uniforms and face paint. Just get Bobby Heenan to do the commentary (instead of Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts) and have Vince McMahon do the referreeing (instead of Bernard Shaw). I smell ratings. Can you smell what the Rock is Cookin? Posted Image

Gauracandra

[This message has been edited by Gauracandra (edited 07-02-2001).]

But Gaurachandra, Jesse Ventura would then rule the USA.Things are weird enough without him in charge.

How about showdowns at sundown?An elimination series.Last one standing gets the big chair.Also we would get a new crop every four years.

Guest guest

Originally posted by Maitreya:

But Gaurachandra, Jesse Ventura would then rule the USA.Things are weird enough without him in charge.

Then Chief would be in ecstacy! Remember that critter?

Prabhus, This Bush-Gore wrestling idea is not so far fetched.

Much closer to Vedik standard than what's going on today.

PrabhupAd said, "Xatriyas would rule by bodily strength, not by votes."

He added, "Nowadays, the vote-giver is a tiny rascal and the vote-getter is a big rascal. So how we can expect good government?"

By the way, Gore is taller. And probably stronger.