Jahnava Nitai Das

Bhagavad Gita 2:55

Rate this topic

sri-bhagavan uvaca

prajahati yada kaman

sarvan partha mano-gatan

atmany evatmana tustah.

sthita-prajnas tadocyate

"The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: O Partha, when a man gives up all varieties of desire for sense gratification, which arise from mental concoction, and when his mind, thus purified, finds satisfaction in the self alone, then he is said to be in pure transcendental consciousness."

PURPORT by Srila Prabhupada

The Bhagavatam affirms that any person who is fully in Krsna consciousness, or devotional service of the Lord, has all the good qualities of the great sages, whereas a person who is not so transcendentally situated has no good qualifications, because he is sure to be taking refuge in his own mental concoctions. Consequently, it is rightly said herein that one has to give up all kinds of sense desire manufactured by mental concoction. Artificially, such sense desires cannot be stopped. But if one is engaged in Krsna consciousness, then, automatically, sense desires subside without extraneous efforts. Therefore, one has to engage himself in Krsna consciousness without hesitation, for this devotional service will instantly help one onto the platform of transcendental consciousness. The highly developed soul always remains satisfied in himself by realizing himself as the eternal servitor of the Supreme Lord. Such a transcendentally situated person has no sense desires resulting from petty materialism; rather, he remains always happy in his natural position of eternally serving the Supreme Lord.

Last night, after Bhaktimarga SwAmI's extended kIrtan ended, we mentioned the "Regulative Principles of Freedom"

In response, Bhakta Bram at once quoted this GItA verse from Memory, word for word inclusief:

rAga-dveSa-vimuktais tu, viSayAn indriyaiz caran

Atma-vazyair vidheyAtmA, prasAdam adhigacchati

I was surprised anyone at all would memorize this relatively less popular zloka.

Specially a bhakta, id est, an uninitiated person.

Y this verse? We inquired further.

I stated I always found it easier to remember zlokas I heard my guru quote.

Turns out the same was true for Bhakta Bram Prabhu.

He's aspiring to accept NAm from one who's aspiring for guru approval as we type.

That sannyAsi quoted this verse which in turn inspired Bram to recall the same.

B.Gita 2.55 Translation:

The Blessed Lord said:

"O Partha, when one fully renounces all the desires belonging to the mind and remains contented in the <big>Self alone</big> through the self, then he is called a man of steady Wisdom."

(Gudaartha Dipika of Sri Madhusudana Sarasvati)

There is a Sruti saying,

"When all desires clinging to one's heart fall off; then a mortal becomes immortal and attains Brahman here."

Kathopanishad 2.3.14

sa yo ha vai tat paramaM brahma veda

brahmaiva bhavati nAsyA brahma vitkule bhavati,

tarati zokaM tarati pApmAnaM

guhAgranthibhyo vimukto 'mRto bhavati

(Mundaka Upanishad 3.2.9)

'Anyone who realizes that Supreme Brahman becomes Brahman indeed.

Anyone who does not realize Brahman does not exist in his spiritual Line.

He overcomes grief, and raises above aberrations ; and becoming freed from the deep knots of the heart (created by Maya), he attains<big> immortality.</big>'

rAga-dveSa-vimuktais tu, viSayAn indriyaiz caran

Atma-vazyair vidheyAtmA, prasAdam adhigacchati

Gita 2.64

"The self-controlled man, by percieving objects with the organs <big>that are free from attraction and repulsion</big> and are under his own control, attains serenity, purity of mind, fitness for realizing the Supreme Self."

vihAya kAmAn yaH sarvAn

pumAMzcarati niHspRhaH

nirmamo nirahaGkAraH sa

zAMtim adhigacchati

Gita 2.71

"One whose mind is not attached to any material object and<big> freed from all desires and without the feeling of 'I' and 'mine' alone</big> deserves to attain Supreme Peace."

Originally posted by Tarun:

Sha of Aryan Iran: Does detachment include accepting mercy sans expecting (hankering after) mercy?

In Gitopanisad 18.54 is stated:

brahma-bhUtaH prasannAtma

na zocati na kAnkSati

samaH sarveSu bhUtesU

mad-bhaktiM labhate parAm

"One who is thus (B.G.51-53) transcendentally situated at once realizes the Supreme Brahman. He never laments nor<big> desires </big>to have anything; he is equally disposed to every living being. In that state he <big>attains Supreme Devotion unto Me."</big>

According to Katha Upanisad 2.3.7-8:

"Beyond the senses is the mind, beyond the mind is the intellect, higher than the intellect is the Great Atman, higher than the Great Atman is the Unmanifest.

"Beyond the Unmanifest is the Person, all-pervading and imperceptible. Having realised Him, the embodied self becomes liberated and attains Immortality".

Originally posted by Tarun:

Shaji: isn't hankering after mercy distinct from other base hankerings?

Tarunji,

The world famous scriptural declaration of the Lord, Kathopanishad 1. 2. 23 says -

nAyamAtma pravacanena labhyo

na medhayA na bahunA zrutena,

yame vaiSa vRNute tena labhya-

stasyaiSa AtmA vivRNute tanUM svAm.

God is not known through the study of Scriptures, nor through subtlety of the intellect nor through much learning.

Whom the Lord chooses by him alone is God attained, verily unto him does the Supreme reveal His True Being.

vIta rAga bhaya krodhA manmayA mAm upAzritaH

bahavo jnAna tapasA pUtA mad bhAvam AgatAH

(Gitopanishad 4.10)

Many who were <big>devoid of attachment, </big> fear and anger, who were <big>absorbed in Me</big>, who had taken <big>refuge in Me,</big> and purified by the austerity of Knowledge <big>attained My state.</big>

rAga = attachment, is the <big>hankering </big>for the results concerned

"The highly developed soul always remains satisfied in himself by realizing himself as the eternal servitor of the Supreme Lord. Such a transcendentally situated person has no sense desires resulting from petty materialism; rather, he remains always happy in his natural position of eternally serving the Supreme Lord."

Thank you for reminding me of this passage