IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Injunction for ghee on rice?

Rate this topic

A few days ago I had dinner at an indian friend's house. The wife was serving us rice with subji. She put rice on my plate and then I took that to eat, but she said first she had to put ghee on the rice. I was like "No, thats ok. Its alright". But she was insistent. She said actually it was considered an offense to eat rice without ghee. Seems a bit odd. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this injunction before?

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

A few days ago I had dinner at an indian friend's house. The wife was serving us rice with subji. She put rice on my plate and then I took that to eat, but she said first she had to put ghee on the rice. I was like "No, thats ok. Its alright". But she was insistent. She said actually it was considered an offense to eat rice without ghee. Seems a bit odd. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this injunction before?

As far as I am knowing the white rice digestion is having very high glycemic index and I am thinking eating with ghee is slowing it down. Thus it is offending pancreas and the hormone situation less.

I'm sure that I read it in one of the books for deity worship that you can't offer rice without ghee to the Lord. Maybe in the Ayur veda said something too.

Upon joining ISKCON, Brahmacari Bill (later BBT's Mahendra dAs) told me:

"Rice is a filler. Other preps may be fancy. Rice should be plain."

What about butter &/or salt on rice?

1971's mad-dancing SanskRtist BhIma dAs would often repeat:

"Rice is nice, but KRSNa's nicer."