IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pratyatosa Dasa

Life Expectancy is Decreasing?

Rate this topic

I think there are two ways we can look at this. First of all, there is plenty of time left in Kali Yuga. So the fact that life expectancy has been going up, does not mean it will continue indefinitely.

Second, it might not be correct that worldwide life expectancy is going up. For instance, at one point say there were 100 million people on the planet, and from this population you took a sample and they had X average life expectancy. Now there are 6 billion people. Now it is true that in some developed countries the life expectancy is much higher. But we have 6 billion people, and most live in poorer countries, whereas before there was less difference between wealthy and poor countries, that gap is ever increasing. So if we take a weighted average (based on population size), it is very possible that the average world life expectancy may be falling. I say “may” because I don’t have any numbers one way or the other. But the bigger the population gets, the more likely poor, underdeveloped countries will be growing in population. This means there will likely be a slant downwards in average life expectancy.