IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
karthik_v

Bhagavad Gita controversy

Rate this topic

Who wrote Bhagavad Gita?

For those of us, who are theists, the answer is simple: Bhagavad Gita is a set of instructions given by Lord Krishna to Arjuna during the Kurukshetra war. They were subsequently compiled by Ved Vyas. Is there another point of view? Yes. I am putting forth the one held out by the distinguished historian Late A L Basham. He argues that BG was written by atleast 3 different persons. He has given his arguments. I will produce them one at a time and we can go over them.

I don't agree with A L Basham and I have refutals for every point he puts forth. There are some areas where I need more information and I will appreciate if you can contribute. We should remember that A L Basham was not anti-Hindu and that views are taken seriously. So, a systematic deconstruction is a must.

A L Basham's argument # 1:

The homily given by Krishna to Arjuna takes place right when the battle was about to commence and when the 2 armies were arrayed. Assuming each verse took 12 seconds to deliver and that Krishna spoke non-stop, it should have taken atleast 2 hours for the sermon. This not including the lengthy theophany in chapter 11. So, one can conclude that the entire Gita wasn't spoken on the battlefield.

My rebuttal:

During Kurukshetra war, there was a distinct code of ethics to be followed. The war didn't commence unless the commanders of the 2 armies blew their conch shells. On day 1, Pandavas were lead by Dristadyumna and the Kauravas by Dronacarya. If I recall correctly, even though Dronacarya had blown the conch, Dristadyumna had not, as he awaited the nod from Yudhistra. So, even if the discourse had taken longer, the armies would still have waited.

We can see this code being followed in 2 more places in Kurukshetra war. First, when Krishna blocks the sun with His wheel, the armies stopped fighting. Likewise, when Karna was injured and struggled to get his chariot out of the mud, Krishna ceased firing. So, it is no wonder that the 2 armies waited until Krishna finished addressing Arjuna.

Please correct if I have made factual errors. I am quoting the incidences out of memory.

Karthik,

Do you know about the Anu-Gita? After the war Arjuna says "I would like to hear your intructions (BG) again". Krishna replies that is not possible, but I have something else this time and instructs Arjuna in the Anu-Gita (Tantra, etc), which never became popular with the masses.

When Bhishma is lying on the battlefield waiting for Uttarayana, Yudhistira approaches him and requests to be instructed spiritually. Bhishma talks about every spiritual system (Saankya, Yoga, etc) that was in existence, which forms alomst 25% of the Mahabharata.

The point is, the Itihasas and the Puranas were composed to instruct people who were not eligible to learn the Vedas (Their own testimony). Least, they sound dry and boring, they were mixed with stories [fact and fiction] and spiced up a bit. When seen from this perspective, Bhishma never lay on a bed of arrows for many days nor did Krishna give a long instruction of 700 verses in the battlefield to Arjuna, while thousands of warriors were waiting patiently for him to finish.

It depends on how one wants to see it. btw, one cannot believe the stories in the Mahabharata as real and still be a theist.

Cheers

Shvu,

I am aware of Anu Gita and I was planning to cover Basham's views on that too. But I wanted to take one point at a time and analyze. I will wait a day for readers to respond then post my second point. Please wait till then.

I do agree with you that itihasas were essentially vedic concepts presented in a form understandable to the masses, but that is not the point of discussion here.

Guest guest

When Krishna spoke the Gita, the time would have stopped.

Guest guest

Originally posted by shvu:

It depends on how one wants to see it. btw, one cannot believe the stories in the Mahabharata as real and still be a theist.

Cheers

It depends on how one wants to see it. btw, one cannot not believe the stories in the Mahabharata as real and still be a theist.

[This message has been edited by ram (edited 05-09-2002).]

Dear Karthik,

It is written in Gita that Bhisma blew his conchshell first. Then others blew their conch shells. It is written that all the five Pandavas and also Dhrstdyumna blew conch shells before Krsna commenced His teachings.