IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
worminstool

All strung out

Rate this topic

That is a very catchy name!

Thread is a sign of Brahminical initiation. It comes in sets of 3. When you are initiated you were one set. After entering grahastha ashrama (marriage), you wear 2 sets and so on.

Originally posted by karthik_v:

That is a very catchy name!

Thread is a sign of Brahminical initiation. It comes in sets of 3. When you are initiated you were one set. After entering grahastha ashrama (marriage), you wear 2 sets and so on.

Ya learn sumthin every day.I have worn a brahmin thread since 1976 after receiving brahmin initiation from Srila Praabhupada. All the bt's I have ever encountered have been two bundles of 3 threads each.

Anyway my questions regarding the origin of this custom and the esoteric significance of the thread counts are still unsatisfied.

There are implied potencies invested in the thread itself, vis. the breaking of the thread at time of cursing etc. Is it something like the shakti of a yogi being invested in his dreadlocks?

I know it's a trivial matter, but hey, I'm that kind of guy.

p.s. my friends call me "Worm"

Originally posted by worminstool:

Ya learn sumthin every day.I have worn a brahmin thread since 1976 after receiving brahmin initiation from Srila Praabhupada. All the bt's I have ever encountered have been two bundles of 3 threads each.

Anyway my questions regarding the origin of this custom and the esoteric significance of the thread counts are still unsatisfied.

There are implied potencies invested in the thread itself, vis. the breaking of the thread at time of cursing etc. Is it something like the shakti of a yogi being invested in his dreadlocks?

I know it's a trivial matter, but hey, I'm that kind of guy.

p.s. my friends call me "Worm"

That is a good question. Unfortunately, I don't have the answer.

Guest guest

The Sacred thread:

It is spun by a virgin Brahmin girl and twisted by a Brahmin. Its length is ninety-six times the breadth of the four fingers of a man, which is equal to his height. Each of the four fingers represents one of the four states the soul of a man experiences from time to time, namely waking, dreaming, dreamless sleep and absolute Brahmanhood. The three strands of the thread are also symbolical. They represent the three Gunas (qualities) namely reality (Sattva) , passion (Rajas) and inertia (Tamas). The twist of the thread must be upward, to ensure that the Sattva guna or the good quality of reality may predominate in a man and he may attain spiritual merits. The three strands remind the wearer that he has to pay off his debt to the ancient seers, his ancestors and the gods. He is to honour his parents and elders and is now in a position to participate in the family rituals and prayers.

The three strands are tied together by a knot called “Brahmagranthi”, which symbolises Brahma, Vishnu and Siva (the Creator, Preserver and Destroyer.).

A Brahmachari can put on only one set of the sacred thread.

A householder is given the privilege to wear two, one for himself and one for his wife.

Wearing it

auspicious ceremony the sacred thread is worn hanging from his left shoulder, but while performing an inauspicious ceremony it should be hung from right shoulder.

To the three strands of the sacred thread is tied a piece of deerskin which is symbolical of holy lustre and intellectual and spiritual pre-eminence.

Guest guest

I would like to know why some married men wear 9 threads and some wear only 6...could you please throw some light on this.

Guest guest

could someone post a picture as to what these threads look like, i'm confused and would like to know more about this topic. thanks

Guest guest

They look like twine..white in colour...

Three threads are knotted together to form a closed string and Indian men wear the threads over their left shoulder to below the right arm.