IndiaDivine.org

Susupti

Rate this topic

Shashi2

Does anybody know what Jiva Goswami in his sat Sandarbhas says about susupti or dreamless sleep? 'susupti' as I understand can bridge the gap between the phenomenal and spiritual worlds. What are the positive and negative aspects of 'susupi'? Mandukya. Up. discussions of 'susupti' seems interesting. And what are the slokas those refer different states of consciousness? in the Bhagavadgita?

[This message has been edited by Shashi2 (edited 02-05-2002).]

Originally posted by Shashi2:

Does anybody know what Jiva Goswami in his sat Sandarbhas says about susupti or dreamless sleep? 'susupti' as I understand can bridge the gap between the phenomenal and spiritual worlds. What are the positive and negative aspects of 'susupi'? Mandukya. Up. discussions of 'susupti' seems interesting. And what are the slokas those refer different states of consciousness? in the Bhagavadgita?

(edited 02-05-2002).]

Shashi2,

As I remember it – (cannot be sure though) Jiva in his Sandarbhas mentions that when the jiva is in the susupti state (or the state of dreamless sleep) the jiva is closest to the paramatma.

I have my own theory about macro-micro correlation between Snakara’s nirguna-brahman and saguna-brahma and what Jiva as with Ramanuja express of susupti

It is interesting to note that if Shankara’s ‘nirguna-brahman and saguna-brahman” are viewed as macro perspective of susupti (nirguna-brahman) and maya or the active principle as (saguna-brahman) then the susupti in dualists, such as Jiva and Ramanuja are saying a similar thing except on a micro level. Of course as we both know each ontological position is different, but the similarity is found in the theoretical structure of each presentation. The view that Shankara’s nirguna-brahman is a macro form of the susupti found in “Ramanuja (that is the Hypothesis). I.E. In Ramanuja susupti is of the jiva. For Shankara susupti is all existence.

We could try extending this theory further to the notion of the creation principle. We could ask what of the yoga-nidra of Mahavishnu and what of the state of pradhan? Is not pradhan not a form of susupti of the material creation?

Just a thought

[This message has been edited by SaRup (edited 02-06-2002).]