IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
jijaji

Atom Experiment Brings Teleportation a Step Closer

Rate this topic

Atom Experiment Brings Teleportation a Step Closer

LONDON (Reuters) - Physicists in Denmark have made two samples of trillions of atoms interact at a distance in an experiment which may bring Star Trek-style teleportation and rapid quantum computing closer to reality.

Eugene Polzik and his colleagues at the University of Aarhus are not about to beam anyone up to the Starship Enterprise, but their research reported in the science journal Nature on Wednesday makes the idea of instantly transporting an object from one place to another less far fetched.

It involves quantum entanglement -- a mysterious concept of entwining two or more particles without physical contact. Albert Einstein once described it as "spooky action at a distance."

Entangled states are needed for quantum computing and teleportation. Scientists have entangled states of a few atoms in earlier experiments but Polzik and his team have done it with very large numbers and using laser light.

"It is the first result where two macroscopic material objects have been entangled," Polzik explained in a telephone interview.

"We have produced entanglement at a distance which means you and me can share entangled objects which is important for quantum communication, including quantum teleportation."

In 1998 what has been described as the first teleportation experiment was done when scientists at the California Institute of Technology teleported a beam of light across a laboratory bench.

Ignacio Cirac, a physicist at the University of Innsbruck in Austria said achievement of Polzik and his team could lead to real-life quantum communication systems, teleportation and quantum computers.

"This is the first time two different atomic samples have been entangled in this way -- using light -- even though the samples are separated by some distance," he said in a commentary in Nature.

Cirac believes further experiments will follow which could "revolutionize the field of quantum information."

Freaky weird Posted Image Not sure I fully understood it, but sounds cool. Teleportation would be very useful. I could have my groceries beamed directly into my fridge, I could be beamed into work every day (save on the commute). And we could beam Osama's ass into jail. It all works out perfectly.

Gauracandra

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Freaky weird Posted Image Not sure I fully understood it, but sounds cool. Teleportation would be very useful. I could have my groceries beamed directly into my fridge, I could be beamed into work every day (save on the commute). And we could beam Osama's ass into jail. It all works out perfectly.

Gauracandra

Be a real `bummer` if Osama's ass ended up in your fridge...but seriously, folks, does this belong with `Spiritual Discussions`?

Did anyone read the Mystical Experiences series linked from India Divine's front page? Very strange. It speaks of the North Star having the energy tunnel that the teletransporter beams up through, his/her own spinal column hosting the energy to do that. One could actually transport the parts of the physical body and then reassemble them once where one was aiming to be. The particular tantric who was mentioning as aiming for this achievement was characterirsed as being insatiable in her desires for power. Very spooky, that!

Hey, Guys, this teleportation issue

isn`t new. In fact, I have discussed

this breakthrough to those who have

read my article about this science.

If you like I can demonstrate to you

just like what I did to my friend,

Tarun. After I teleprompted him to

Krishnaloka, his life had never been

the same again.

It`s like this: " Oh Lord Keshava,

please teleprompt my friends on this

site now. You are like a desire tree