IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Saffron Pudding

Rate this topic

I'll try once again. I posted this question on other forums, so now I'll try here. I am looking for anyone who has heard of the sweet ‘Saffron Pudding’ and knows the recipe. Every devotee I meet these days I seem to ask this question and no one knows what I am talking about. As far as I’m concerned it is a classic Iskcon sweet. But every person I ask has never heard of it. Its like some sort of ancient knowledge that has disappeared from the face of the earth. Kinda like how to build the pyramids or something Posted Image They suggest perhaps Sri Khand (which it definitely is not). The word pudding is a little misleading. Its more like Saffron Goop. Its just this sweet, really thick, goopey like substance that is saffron color. It goes with all sweets. You dip burfi, sandesh, rasagulla etc… into it. It’s a fantastic sweet so I’m looking for anyone who knows how to make it. So if you have the recipe please let me know. Thanks.

Gauracandra

Perhaps you mean halwa. I have heard that halwas is given as prasadam in iskcon temples. There are plenty of different types of halwas [badam, kesari, carrot, etc]. If you search for halwa recipes, you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Cheers

My guess is your are talking about saffron shrikhand. It is made with yogurt that has been drained. Definately one of the best of the offering we offer to Gaura-Nitai every Gaura Purnima.

There is a recipe in Adirja's cook-book.

2 1/2 pints plain yogurt

11 oz powdered sugar (I think you can use regular sugar on ekadasi or Visnu Tattwa appearance days, because of the cornstarch in the powdered sugar)

1/4 tsp powdered saffron or 5 saffron strands

Hang the yogurt in cheesecloth over a bowl to catch the drippings. Drain overnight or at least 5 hours. Scrape it into a bowl. The drained yougurt should be thick, half is original volume. Add the sugar and the saf fon to the yougurt. beat with a whisk. If you are using saffon strands, steep them in a little ros-water before adding to the drained yogurt.

There you have it. Hope it's what you were looking for.

Govinda R

Actually I received a reply on another list I'm on indicating that a lady devotee knows exactly what I'm talking about and will try to get the recipe for me. I'm so happy Posted Image its almost like Christmas Eve. If I get it, I will make it this weekend, and gourge myself silly. I've waited years for this sweet. Apparently, it is not a world wide sweet. Only a few temples ever prepared it. What a tragedy. If only you could taste Saffron Pudding. It is the king of Sweets. All other sweets find their philosophical conclusions in Saffron Pudding. Nothing can match it. If I get the recipe, I will gourge my self silly until I'm drunk on Saffron Pudding Posted Image Happy Happy Joy Joy Posted Image Ok I'm getting silly now. But literally I have asked so many people who have never heard of it. Now I am closing in on finally having it yet again. Just wait till you see how silly I get once I actually have the Saffron Pudding Posted Image

Gauracandra

It will all be worth it. If I get the recipe this weekend, keep a track of my postings. If I don't post anything on Tuesdays, odds are I gourged myself on Saffron Pudding so much that I passed on in a state of Saffron Pudding Bliss Posted Image I'm sure they got Saffron Pudding up there Posted Image (assuming thats where I'll be heading).

Gauracandra

I had a dream last night that a HUGE pot was brought to the Deities at new Jagannatha Puri, Who upon relishing it,had it profusely distributed to all the assembled.

Prophetic?

Wishful dreaming?

Only time will tell.

I still haven't gotten the recipe. I'm starting to get discouraged Posted Image So close and yet so far Posted Image To be honest, it really surprises me that so few people have ever heard of Saffron Pudding. It really is an unbelievable sweet. I really hope I can get that recipe.

Gauracandra

If it is as good, it will certainly be a popular, well-known dish. The simplest way out is to find the Indian name of this dish. By the above description, I can think of quite a few possible names.

Now if someone can identify it's indian name, the job is as good as done.

Cheers

I'm starting to think that Saffron Pudding might have been very regional. Like maybe one day some devotee chef started throwing stuff together, and voila, out came saffron pudding. But it never really reached far and wide. It really is a very un-Indian sweet so I'm thinking there is no equivalent. The only way I can describe it is that it is like sweet saffron goop. The goop part is important. Calling it pudding really gives a wrong impression. In the mean time I'll just have to do my best Homer Simpson:

Mmmmmm..... Saffron Pudding... Arrrrrgghhhhhhh.....

Posted Image

Gauracandra

Originally posted by shvu:

Now if someone can identify it's indian name, the job is as good as done.

Oh Shvuuuu......

Why find an "indian name"?

When you take vow sanyaas

you can call your vada

"saffron goop" !

Posted Image

goopi talasiga@hotmail.com