IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Why can't one photograph deities?

Rate this topic

I'm curious as to why at various Hindu temples one is not allowed to photograph the deities. What is the philosophy behind it? Any opinions? I was thinking how great it would be if we had a web cam in various temples throughout Vrindavan, South India etc... at all the beautiful temples in India, and then from a distance we could honor the deities even sitting around the world in various countries.

Gauracandra

1. To prevent the Rupa in the sanctum from being dispersed to remote quarters beyond the control of the watchers who wish to ensure honourable worship.

2. .......

------------------

talasiga@hotmail.com

I have mixed feelings about the filming of festivals like Janmastami.Not about the filming of the Deities really.It's more when I suddenly notice the camera being panned around that it seems like a distraction.

Maybe its because I know I dance like a goose and sing like a frog.The thought of that being captured on film is hard on my ego.

But to have arati's from around the world being just a click away is a wonderful idea, as long as the focus was on Their Lordships worship.