IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

inappropriate to change one's messages

Rate this topic

It is inapropriate to edit or delete one's messages weeks later in order to

hide one's previous statements.

I noticed some people have done that recently

despite this having been warned before. For example a message posted on 05-14-2001 10:46 AM by someone was later changed to:

":-P" on 05-27-2001).

13 days after the message had been posted, it was more or less deleted despite the fact that there were 20 odd replies in the thread following it, including one reply that specifically addressed the message that was deleted.

Then after looking at the logs I saw 5 other messages by the same person had similarly been deleted on the same date, with each original message having been writting around 2 weeks before.

This is inappropriate. I don't want to remove the editing feature, so please do not edit posts after one day. Editing is ONLY for fixing spelling and other minor things. Anything else, such as a change in opinion, should be posted as a new message.

My options are to either remove the feature or remove the people who abuse the feature. For various reasons I am leaning towards removing the feature. I don't have time to watch everyone to see if the are acting appropriately or not.

I consider the editing feature very useful and I'm thinking that those whose mother tongue is other than English must appreciate it even more. Please don't remove it, prabhu. Even if misusers are simply publically exposed occasionally, that should suffice. Perhaps there are other alternatives, as well.

------------------

No offense meant to anyone...

That being said, I totally agree with you. On VNN, it was getting really bad, because anyone who started a thread could delete the entire thread. The moderator there also started arbitrarily deleting threads left and right.

Things seem to be going pretty well here. Keep up the good work. The tone is generally pretty civilized...

Your servant,

Jagadananda Das.

I was just concerned people will from time to time go back and edit messages and their context.

If anyone wants a message deleted, just send me an email. If it seems reasonable and if the message is not related to philosphy, I will delete messages on request. But I will probably try not to delete messages regarding philosophical debate. Its just not fair for the discussion.

If anyone wants their name removed from messages, I am willing to do that as well. I don't think it is a great idea, but I understand people may change their views and feel bad about what they previously said. Especially seeing how some of the discussions here have been a little heated, I am sure many people would like to go back and change their statements. Posted Image

Originally posted by premananda:

I am sorry for changing my postings. It´s just that I realized how stupid they were and felt ashamed.

P D

BAD boy! BAD BAD boy! Hey, prabhu, I'm sure we all feel the same way much of the time. Questioning yourself and regreting past actions are good qualities. Pease don't sweat the small stuff! We're still evolving here, after all...(insert smiley face or happy jumping frog here, if I only knew how)

------------------

No offense meant to anyone...

Originally posted by jndas:

I was just concerned people will from time to time go back and edit messages and their context.

If anyone wants a message deleted, just send me an email. If it seems reasonable and if the message is not related to philosphy, I will delete messages on request. But I will probably try not to delete messages regarding philosophical debate. Its just not fair for the discussion.

If anyone wants their name removed from messages, I am willing to do that as well. I don't think it is a great idea, but I understand people may change their views and feel bad about what they previously said. Especially seeing how some of the discussions here have been a little heated, I am sure many people would like to go back and change their statements. Posted Image

jndas, this would happen on VNN.Someone would answer a previous post and then the original poster would go back and change a few words which altered the context, and then the respondant would look foolish.

We shouldn't be so afraid of phrases like, "I was wrongI'm sorry" etc.Or even "I'm a fool".I think I proved that by taking birth in the land of death seeking a happy life.So what's new.

I am a horrible speller and often edit posts.But that is not such a big thing either way.How ever you choose to do it is fine with me.

We really appreciate how you run this forum.

MC

Agreed there is some sobriety, gravity and some inner-sense here. It seems AF is also connected well to the search engines, which helps bring a cross section of contributors to share their queries and responses. I think this is essential to share with the populous at large, and if sincere seekers can get some answers it is all worth while, at the same time it becomes a purifieing environment for all us. I too hope it can remain civil, and a place of sanctuary for the sincere soul. Mahaprabhu is no doubt pleased with Audarya consciousness.

I'd like to see more Indians discover this forum and I was wondering if the change of name will effect that. I appreciate their input and perspective of things, obviously due to different samskaras than western born devotees.

MC don't wurry bout the literacy level, wurds an' language are a relative concern it's wots behine 'em that counts. I think most fokes catch ya harts drift. I mean hoo cood be more archaic than that weird mob 'down unda'.

For whatever reason, most indians prefer not to post messages. The majority of readers are indians, but they hardly post.

To do the smileys, just put ': )' [but without the space n between] in your post and it will automatically transform to a smiley. When writing a reply, on the left side it says "Smilies Legend". If you click there you get the commands for all the smileys.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 06-10-2001).]